4 days left and no words on UYI anniversary?

So close to it, and absolutely nothing from GNR hinting at or promoting anything with UYI? Seems like it won't happen on this anniversary, I'm thinking they are just going to skip this one..maybe because now is going to be all about new music and don't want it to "overshadow" that to give a new album the spotlight so to speak? I guess Axl and the band are saving everything up for the 40th anniversary so they have something left to release when they are all pushing 70 and GNR might be done? Thoughts?

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

So close to it, and absolutely nothing from GNR hinting at or promoting anything with UYI? Seems like it won't happen on this anniversary, I'm thinking they are just going to skip this one..maybe because now is going to be all about new music and don't want it to "overshadow" that to give a new album the spotlight so to speak? I guess Axl and the band are saving everything up for the 40th anniversary so they have something left to release when they are all pushing 70 and GNR might be done? Thoughts?

There will likely be some social media comments etc but seeing as the AFD anniversary set was a year late…. I think with Covid etc it’s just been delayed TBH.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I've got a video coming on Saturday to my vinyl channel about UYI. I have to assume GN'R knows and they're just letting me handle the anniversary 😂 

Fernando: "Holy shit, this guy uploads videos every week? No point in me spending 4 days using Movie Maker then, I'll just leave it to a professional."

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

There will likely be some social media comments etc but seeing as the AFD anniversary set was a year late…. I think with Covid etc it’s just been delayed TBH.

If true how fucking half assed is this management if they can't put together a boxset in time for the SECOND time in a row for an anniversary?

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've got a video coming on Saturday to my vinyl channel about UYI. I have to assume GN'R knows and they're just letting me handle the anniversary 😂 

I'll check it out!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

If true how fucking half assed is this management if they can't put together a boxset in time for the SECOND time in a row for an anniversary?

I'll check it out!

To be fair - it’s not the management driving these releases…it’s the actual record company. The band have certainly played ball with supplying stuff but it’s the record companies thing.

This thread pretty much covers it:-

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 2

The pandemic changed a lot of plans and delayed a lot of production.  

But the it will still be the 30 year anniversary on February 18th just like it will be September 17th. 

Who knows maybe they announce something on the 17th, maybe they wait 6 more months.

I think something will happen eventually tho

2 hours ago, LunsJail said:

I really don’t get the obsession with album anniversaries.

Nowadays album anniversaries are an excuse for artists to release lavish box sets with a lot of extra content.  So the obsession comes from the hope that cool material from that time period comes out, and/or that some of it gets busted out live for the occasion

Plus it is cool to think about the concept of time in relation to album anniversaries

• Like 3

5 hours ago, metallex78 said:

It’ll just be a social media post, something like this:

“Happy UYI Fn anniversary, fam”

With a picture of Melissa

I hope she at least does the classic Matt "turned your brain into mashed rice" perm, as a tribute. That would be #lit 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Looking forward to it!

Just now, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

For a band obsessed with nostalgia, it's beyond shocking there is nothing coming out for this. Fingers crossed for true remix of UYI (not just a remaster) and the Perfect Crime documentary.

UYI hasn’t really aged as well as AFD, to be fair.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Looking forward to it!

UYI hasn’t really aged as well as AFD, to be fair.

Not everything can age like AFD, which is one of the top albums of all time. Bands do these anniversary releases all the time. UYI definitely deserves an anniversary release in comparison to a lot of these albums getting re-releases.  There are still lots of tracks from those albums that get rock radio play to this day (NR, YCBM, Don't Cry, Civil War, Yesterdays, Live and Let Die, Knockin on Heavens Door). That's very impressive for a 30 year old double album (essentially). 

• Like 2