Use Your Illusion I vs Use Your Illusion II

Which album do you personally prefer?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me it has never been close.. I think UYI II blows away UYI I... I feel like that is the unpopular opinion though...

The EPIC trilogy of Estranged, Locomotive and Breakdown alone seal the deal for me..  Civil War is amazing..  I feel like some of the rockers on UYI I like RNDTH, PC and GOE are all a bit over rated and come off a bit thin... Don't get me wrong, I do like them but they could have been some much better if they were mixed more like You Could Be Mine was.. I also really like the two songs people always trash which are Shotgun Blues and Get In The Ring... I always thought Get in the Ring was great!!

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
TSI

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

To me it has never been close.. I think UYI II blows away UYI I... I feel like that is the unpopular opinion though...

The EPIC trilogy of Estranged, Locomotive and Breakdown alone seal the deal for me..  Civil War is amazing..  I feel like some of the rockers on UYI I like RNDTH, PC and GOE are all a bit over rated and come off a bit thin... Don't get me wrong, I do like them but they could have been some much better if they were mixed more like You Could Be Mine was.. I also really like the two songs people always trash which are Shotgun Blues and Get In The Ring... I always thought Get in the Ring was great!!

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
TSI

1000% this. Even the order of the complete discography 

• Like 1

My gut reaction was Use Your Illusion II, and I voted accordingly. Then I immediately start thinking of "Dust n' Bones", "Coma", and "Perfect Crime" being some of my all-time favorites. Ultimately, I think Use Your Illusion II has the highest highs, but I think the sequencing of Use Your Illusion I remains superior. 

I tend to lean toward UYI I, if only because I think its the most consistent of the two. It flows better having mostly rockers that are only interrupted by Don't Cry and November Rain, It has the stronger closing with Coma  and  generally it doesn't have any weak songs. 

UYI II has maybe the greater collection of songs between the two, but man Shotgun Blues and Get in the RIng are the weakest songs off both albums, I almost always skip those. Plus, it also ends the weakest with Don't Cry Alt and the stinker that is My World.

• Like 2

I know most prefer 2 but I honestly like 1 more.  I think some of the filler tracks are quite underrated, particularly; Bad Obsession and Bad Apples.

I think Don't Cry and November Rain are some of the best ballad rock singles ever made.  Even if you find November Rain "corny", I think the song deserves respect. 

Coma is a monster of a masterpiece.  There isn't a single track on UYI 1 that reaches the lows of UYI 2; Get in The Ring and My World

Looking back, I'm surprised that for so long UYI 2 got the reputation of being the better of the two albums. 

UYI 2 has arguably my two fav GN'R tracks with KOHD and Locomotive though.  I also think Breakdown might be GNR's most overlooked track.

I call Breakdown overlooked because I feel like it when it comes to GN'Rs fantastic deep cuts (Coma, Locomotive, etc), I feel like Breakdown is mentioned the least

I love the Illusions.  Fantastic albums

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma