Has there ever been another GN’R song that has had as much hype behind it to be played live than Hard Skool?

Yes, another Hard Skool thread. :lol:

But it's just something I was thinking about. If we think back to Appetite and Illusions, we know they played a lot of those songs before the albums were released so it's not like there was a lot of prior knowledge on some of those tracks. 

The closest I can think of is the 2006 leaks and the Hammerstein shows. I wasn't a fan yet so I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine the buzz of possibly getting to hear those tracks live for the first time was insane. For that matter, I'll even add the 2009 Asia tour since these were the first set of shows after CD was finally released. 

But here we are in 2021 with Hard Skool. Rock publications are talking about this song. People who don't even closely follow the band have heard about this song. Then you have us who have waited and waited and waited (and waited...). This song is not some secret anymore like it once was. 

Has there ever been this much hype for one GN’R song to be played live? 

Edited by GNRfanJen

• GNRfanJen changed the title to Has there ever been another GN’R song that has had as much hype behind it to be played live than Hard Skool?

To be fair, it's just us nerds who are hyped about it. The rest of the world has never heard of that song before the articles started popping up just recently.

But yeah, for nerds it's probably the most hyped one - if we're speaking about unreleased ones. Don't cry and estranged were very anticipated in the CD era as was civil war.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

I remember the 2011 Estranged hype. Actually, the whole RIR 2011 had a LOT of hype, at least in the South American forums. 2010 was a great year for GNR and we here hyped for the first pro shot with that fully rasped Axl voice, plus the band rehearsed OMG and Going Down was on the set list. Then we all saw what happened, but it was a great moment in the SA forums

Truth. I remember hesitating whether or not to go to the La Plata show in 2011. Estranged was what got me out of bed that day.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah Estranged was huge, there was a lot of hype.  Ron even put a bit of "Estranged" into his guitar solo spot in like 2009/2010 and I remember him being asked about Estragned on live chats he did online.  When they finally busted it out in Rio 2011 during that live stream everyone was freaking out (and it even overshadowed Axl's oddness that night at the time lol)

I believe that was Tokyo 2009 because in the IEM mix once he plays the Estranged bends you heard Axl firmly say ‘I heard that!’ :lol:

• Like 2

I would argue Prostitute based mainly off a post by Kaneda in which he said something along the lines of, "I can't wait to hear Axl rip into Prostitute for the first time..." This was before anyone had heard it but Chris' line made one think that it was a rocker, so, I think that fueled hype, at least on mygnrforum. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

To be fair, it's just us nerds who are hyped about it. The rest of the world has never heard of that song before the articles started popping up just recently.

But yeah, for nerds it's probably the most hyped one - if we're speaking about unreleased ones. Don't cry and estranged were very anticipated in the CD era as was civil war.

"Oh you fucking GNR people and your Silkworms and Estranged. Fuck Estranged. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm gunna take a cantaloupe and carve a hole in the side of it. Then I'm gunna write Estranged across it. And then I'm gunna fuck it. Fuck Estranged!" 

I will never forget that online Q&A he did. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

"Oh you fucking GNR people and your Silkworms and Estranged. Fuck Estranged. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm gunna take a cantaloupe and carve a hole in the side of it. Then I'm gunna write Estranged across it. And then I'm gunna fuck it. Fuck Estranged!" 

I will never forget that online Q&A he did. 

Lol yeah he also insulted TWAT in that same video. After they finally played Estranged at RIR a few months later he said on Twitter that he was “just pretending” to hate the song. But honestly, I think in the moment he was genuinely irritated by all the GnR talk in his chat. I like bumble, but sometimes I feel like he got way too irritated whenever people brought up GnR to him. Like, dude… you’re in gnr… what do you expect?

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Lol yeah he also insulted TWAT in that same video. After they finally played Estranged at RIR a few months later he said on Twitter that he was “just pretending” to hate the song. But honestly, I think in the moment he was genuinely irritated by all the GnR talk in his chat. I like bumble, but sometimes I feel like he got way too irritated whenever people brought up GnR to him. Like, dude… you’re in gnr… what do you expect?

First rule of being in Guns N’ Roses- you do not talk about being in Guns N’ Roses.

• Haha 2

In my memory in 2010 or 2011 "Estranged" was requested several times, because Bumblefoot played a little bit "Estranged" in his Pink Panther Guitar Solo and there was a online video or leak where Bumblefoot actualy played Estranged before Rock In Rio 2011. I read alot of post that people wished Estranged.

Estranged got positive critics for the performance at Rock In Rio 2011, yea that gig still sucks but Estranged at Rock In Rio 2011 was magical

That's my memory

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

He learned rather quickly we are a different breed of fanatics. 

Edited by Gunner55
I can't spell sometimes. Fixed word.
  • Haha 1

The difference between now and the Chinese Democracy days is that back in the day we were hyped to hear so many songs live. We wanted to hear all the leaked songs played live. And after CD was released we wanted to hear all of the remaining songs live that hadn't been played live before.

It's not like we wouldn't want to hear songs like Perhaps or Atlas Shrugged live, but nobody is really expecting that to happen anytime soon. Hard Skool on the other hand has been teased so much that it has become the one and only new song that people are waiting to hear live. The reality is that I would love to hear ANY new song live, but Hard Skool is the only song that I'm expecting to hear in the near future.

Although now that tour dates are being rescheduled I fear that the plans to play Hard Skool might get cancelled.

• Like 1