Should UYI Have Been 1 Album?

You touched on the issue. There are too many good songs that people enjoy to whittle it down to a single format

At that time, the band could have imploded at any time. Whether by members quitting, fired or succumbing to their addictions. It was probably a good thing to get those songs completed. Unfortunately that’s pretty much what happened and the wait for the follow up took nearly two decades 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

not sure 1 album can even work for me without cutting out some great tunes that should have been released, one way or another. A lot of the songs are long and the epics are a huge part of UYI so it's a problem.

this kind of album, the good, the bad, and the ugly of Gn'R I think actually benefited from the double album approach anyway, just because of the nature of the material. Way more varied compared to Appetite.

While we're at it, I think Chinese should have been the same way but it didn't so Chinese sounds kinda weird, like a best of or a tasting menu a lot of the time. The contrast between the different styles would probably be less jarring if it was like UYI, a double album and it's interesting that it was all completed before 2008 and had more or less the same number of tunes (about 30 according to Bumble) and Axl said he viewed CD l and ll as one record, same thing he said about UYI l and ll.

UYI is definitely bigger than the sum of its parts imo. Even the tunes that I consider to be weaker compared to the big guns give the album more character and in many cases are great tunes.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This video is aimed more at casual fans who always say Use Your Illusion could've easily been just one album. 

Posting it here because I'll take all the views, subscribers, comments and likes I can get from the GN'R community :)

Also, I know that everyone on this board probably has an opinion on this. 

Do me a favor (please) and watch the video then drop a like and maybe a comment on it. Subscribe if you're into vinyl records, if not, no biggie :)

Done

If I were to make one album out of these two Back Off Bitch would definitely make it.
But as you said, there are too much great songs on them for just one record. 
I'd leave out My World but put on the long 14 Years version with the jam outro. That replacement alone would improve an already great record enormous IMO.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Thanks 1

No. Even if you could narrow it down to one, look how much people talk about the so-called 'CDII' and the leaks these days. We'd just have those same conversations about what didn't make the cut with Illusions.

Regardless of whether people like what theoretically would've been discarded, we'd still talk about it and yearn after it so it's a good job it all came out

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

If I were to ruthlessly whittle down the tracklist into one merged album(14 tracks since that's the most we've seen for a single album on CD) it'd be:

1. Estranged

2. You Could Be Mine

3. Bad Obsession

4. Pretty Tied Up

5. November Rain

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Locomotive

8. Don't Cry Alt

9. Yesterdays

10. Breakdown

11. Civil War

12. The Garden

13. Coma

14. Perfect Crime

But ultimately I agree it had to be a double album and wouldn't want to lose songs considering the limited discography.

All great track! But you have to take in runtime over the amount of tracks on the album. You put all of the longest tracks and I don't think it would have fit.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This video is aimed more at casual fans who always say Use Your Illusion could've easily been just one album. 

Posting it here because I'll take all the views, subscribers, comments and likes I can get from the GN'R community :)

Do me a favor (please) and watch the video then drop a like and maybe a comment on it. Subscribe if you're into vinyl records, if not, no biggie :)

😂 I can tell from the comments in the thread who's actually taken the time to watch the video. Thanks to those who do watch :)

18 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Done

If I were to make one album out of these two Back Off Bitch would definitely make it.
But as you said, there are too much great songs on them for just one record. 
I'd leave out My World but put on the long 14 Years version with the jam outro. That replacement alone would improve an already great record enormous IMO.

Thank you very much for watching, dropping the like and the comment on the video. I really appreciate it :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

We've all seen how shit the UYI compilation release was, lol. I think that's evidence enough that combining the two into one album is a fool's errand.

Not evidence at all. That was loophole to be able to sell it at Walmart (or wherever jt was)

• Like 1

It could have been one album with a bunch of B-sides. It could have been two albums separated by a couple of years so they had a chance to add some additional “A” material. I feel like had the second one come out in 1993 with more A+ songs we would be talking about the three best hard rock albums ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Great in depth breakdown of these LP's, Russ- I honestly fit the exact description of who this video is aimed at. I have always said - without really analyzing the albums' contents as you have - "man, if they'd just cut out all the crap and excess they'd have one of the best single LP's of the rock era." But I was wrong- to your point there are a few obvious things you could scrap but you would still have 2 classic LP's there.

Excellent post and I have subscribed and liked rock3

Edited by Rodzilla72
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Great in depth breakdown of these LP's, Russ- I honestly fit the exact description of who this video is aimed at. I have always said - without really analyzing the albums' contents as you have - "man, if they'd just cut out all the crap and excess they'd have one of the best single LP's of the rock era." But I was wrong- to your point there are a few obvious things you could scrap but you would still have 2 classic LP's there.

Excellent post and I have subscribed and liked rock3

Right on, thanks! Yeah, when I say "causal fan" I mean exactly the people you mentioned. People who've never actually took an in depth listen to the albums yet feel qualified to say "it definitely would have been one great album without all the filler". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

My favourite part of the video was when you got emotional about how much you look up to me then that thing happened before that other thing, that was the best. :lol:

(I actually did watch it just fyi but I don't have a YouTube account, sorry. Might finally get around to making one.)

I hope you enjoyed the twist ending too. Please don't spoil it 😂 

I don't think It could be cut to a single album since there are a lot of  VERY LONG songs and cd only can have 74 minutes of audio.  But if they made an effort with a really good A&R guy  I really do think that UYI could be bigger than Appetite.

But it all ifs and buts

My 1 UYI track list would be 

1- Dust N' Bones
2- Don't Cry
3- Bad Obsession
4- Double Talkin' Jive
5- November Rain
6- Bad Apples
7- Dead Horse
8- Civil War
9- 14 Years
10- Yesterdays
11- Knockin' On Heavens Door
12- Pretty Tied Up
13- So Fine
14- Estranged
15- You Could Be Mine

Edited by Beto 22

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

UYI is definitely bigger than the sum of its parts imo. Even the tunes that I consider to be weaker compared to the big guns give the album more character and in many cases are great tunes.

This, exactly. Tracks like You ain't the first and yes, even My world, contribute a lot to the grandiosity of Use Your Illusion, imo.