Should UYI Have Been 1 Album?

2 minutes ago, 3coloursbeige said:

I think it should've been been two slightly shorter albums.  There are a few songs which come up again and again for being weaker - My World, Shotgun Blues, Get In The Ring (sounds silly now but was fun when I was a kid!) - but you're still left with two long albums...

That's very close to what I was saying in the video. I'd most likely cut those 3 but it would still have to be 2 albums. 

14 minutes ago, 3coloursbeige said:

I think it should've been been two slightly shorter albums.  There are a few songs which come up again and again for being weaker - My World, Shotgun Blues, Get In The Ring (sounds silly now but was fun when I was a kid!) - but you're still left with two long albums...

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's very close to what I was saying in the video. I'd most likely cut those 3 but it would still have to be 2 albums. 

it could have worked for the album as a whole imo, less filler, and would have improved the pacing but we would have been left with less tunes from a band that we now know had no future after this release.

I understand the advantage of this idea but personally I wouldn't want that. Besides, how many songs will you cut? if it's more than 3, the chance of cutting out songs many fans like would increase and if it was just 3, it wouldn't make that much of a difference for the better imo.

Edited by Rovim

I get where Russ is going with this, but to every person who's now posting their own "UYI as one cd" tracklist... when I rise to power this shall be a crime resulting in public decapitation. It's the single most unoriginal and irrelevant thing you can do on a GnR fan forum. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, username said:

I get where Russ is going with this, but to every person who's now posting their own "UYI as one cd" tracklist... when I rise to power this shall be a crime resulting in public decapitation. It's the single most unoriginal and irrelevant thing you can do on a GnR fan forum. 

Yeah, having everyone post their "if UYI was one album" tracklists was not the point of the thread 😂 

The whole point of the video was that UYI had to be 2 albums. I just picked a title for the thread but I thought the body of the post and certainly the video itself would make the point but apparently now 😂 

6 hours ago, Homefuck said:

If we're going down this road I'm also thinking of removing "think about you" and "anything goes" from appetite and scrap Lies, SI and CD all together and you'd have a band that's only put out 18 songs, but all of them absolutely top notch. 

A finished studio version of Reckless Life should have gone on Appetite in place of Anything Goes.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Modano09 said:

There's too much good stuff there for one album, probably not enough for two full albums.

I mean, aside from trashing My World I really wouldn't change anything.  

Plus at this point it seemed like everyone had their own songs they wanted to get in there. 

Yeah, that was part of the point of the video; to point out to people there truly is too much good material to cut it down to one album. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 9:15 AM, RussTCB said:

This video is aimed more at casual fans who always say Use Your Illusion could've easily been just one album. 

Posting it here because I'll take all the views, subscribers, comments and likes I can get from the GN'R community :)

Also, I know that everyone on this board probably has an opinion on this. 

Do me a favor (please) and watch the video then drop a like and maybe a comment on it. Subscribe if you're into vinyl records, if not, no biggie :)

Thanks again to everyone who's taken the time to watch the video, subscribe and/or drop a like. 

Yeah, I promote the crap out of the channel and the podcast but I appreciate everyone putting up with it AND helping :)

Both are a lot of work, but they're also very rewarding. In any case, for those interested, if you haven't checked it pit yet use the link above. 

If it was one single album it would have been one of the greatest albums of all time with appetite for sure. Which makes me think yeah one album was probably the way to go. However, one album with 4/5 8-10 minute songs would have sounded bloated and convoluted, which might have taken away from its magnificence.

And perhaps the most important factor of all, we have not had an original album of GnR Material ft slash duff axl in THIRTY years since. So thank fuck it was a double album or the discography would have been even smaller! So yes, because of hindsight. double album was thankfully correct. If only because of the pitiful output from the band since

On 9/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, Oldest Goat said:

If I were to ruthlessly whittle down the tracklist into one merged album(14 tracks since that's the most we've seen for a single album on CD) it'd be:

1. Estranged

2. You Could Be Mine

3. Bad Obsession

4. Pretty Tied Up

5. November Rain

6. Don't Damn Me

7. Locomotive

8. Don't Cry Alt

9. Yesterdays

10. Breakdown

11. Civil War

12. The Garden

13. Coma

14. Perfect Crime

But ultimately I agree it had to be a double album and wouldn't want to lose songs considering the limited discography.

this would be my track list too.  problem is that these songs would all fit on to one cassette back in the day.  atleast I don't think they would.  

• 3 months later...

Yes, easy and simple. Forgot about that I & II lame concept and that "Lies EP" with fake crowd and all that. Put the covers as B-Sides and ready to go.

USE YOUR ILLUSION - 1990:

1. Reckless Life 
  2. Move To The City 
  3. Patience
  4. Use To Love Her
  5. Don't Cry
  6. Back Off Bitch
  7. November Rain
  8. Dead Horse
  9. Coma
  10. Shadow Of Your Love
  11. Civil War
  12. Yesterdays
  13. Estranged
  14. You Could Be Mine

1 & 2 without that fake crowd. What a lame concept. 4 without the count at the beginning (SUPER CRINGE).

Covers as b-sides ("Live and Let Die", "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Nice Boys", "Mama Kin" and "Since I Don't Have You").

So, in this way, GNR only has three albums: AFD, UYI and CD.

THAT'S the way God planned it, man.

• Haha 3

Wouldn’t change a thing. Those albums literally have everything rolling around in those guys crazy minds at the time. Remember to this day going into high school the day after release, and everyone- including the preppy girls- saying “WTF was with that last song!?!”. :lol:

Even little stuff like that makes me love the UYI Twins on an emotional/nostalgic level that no album(s) will ever touch regardless of how good or bad “My World” is or whatever...

• Like 1

Like The Beatles' 'White Album' - for me a part of the UYI sets charm is their eclecticism and range, even if as a whole it is inconsistent.

So, I wouldn't cut a single second. Not even 'My World' (which is more or less GnR's equivalent of The Beatles' 'Revolution 9'). 

Edited by Sausagebrain
  • GNFNR 1

NO, it is great the way it was done. The only reason people keep having an issue with these records is that they keep comparing it to Appetite ad nauseam. But UYI, while also containing songs from the AfD era, represented the band in a different era, consisting of slightly different people. I like everything about it, whether it’s the length, the composition of songs, the sound, the drummer, the videos, and obviously the tour. Stop making another Appetite out of it, this is a different beast. And a magnificent one. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

NO, it is great the way it was done. The only reason people keep having an issue with these records is that they keep comparing it to Appetite ad nauseam. But UYI, while also containing songs from the AfD era, represented the band in a different era, consisting of slightly different people. I like everything about it, whether it’s the length, the composition of songs, the sound, the drummer, the videos, and obviously the tour. Stop making another Appetite out of it, this is a different beast. And a magnificent one. 

Yep, that's similar to what I said in the video which was why this thread was started in the first place lol. 

• Like 2