Axl is in mythical status like Liberachi or Elvis

9 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Liberace appeared at Wrestlemania. Axl Rose isn’t good enough to appear in anything similar.

one was a pioneer and icon, the other is a deluded, crazy, narcissistic control freak who has a team of yes people and a guitarist who hates him then loves working with him.

so. No comparison.

whhat in the hell r you doing in a GNR forum??? omg what a hater 

25 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

So if Elvis was King, Freddy was Queen and Prince was Prince than Axl is?

Prime minister 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Who the fuck is Liberachi or Liberace?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace

Władziu Valentino Liberace[nb 1] (May 16, 1919 – February 4, 1987) was an American pianist, singer, and actor.[2] A child prodigy born in Wisconsin to parents of Italian and Polish origin, he enjoyed a career spanning four decades of concerts, recordings, television, motion pictures, and endorsements. At the height of his fame from the 1950s to 1970s, he was the highest-paid entertainer in the world[3] with established concert residencies in Las Vegas and an international touring schedule. He embraced a lifestyle of flamboyant excess both on and off stage, earning the nickname "Mr. Showmanship".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberace

Władziu Valentino Liberace[nb 1] (May 16, 1919 – February 4, 1987) was an American pianist, singer, and actor.[2] A child prodigy born in Wisconsin to parents of Italian and Polish origin, he enjoyed a career spanning four decades of concerts, recordings, television, motion pictures, and endorsements. At the height of his fame from the 1950s to 1970s, he was the highest-paid entertainer in the world[3] with established concert residencies in Las Vegas and an international touring schedule. He embraced a lifestyle of flamboyant excess both on and off stage, earning the nickname "Mr. Showmanship".

Thanks, but never heard of him.

They all three are just legends period. And I must say that I enjoy watching them more now than in 93 when none of them had any fun or interaction that much.. also they were too wasted to really be in the moment and Axl was way too emotional and a wreckage to actually enjoy doing what he was doing 

33 minutes ago, moreblack said:

without them Axl is a theatre or 1/2 3/4 full arena act

Maybe in the US, but Guns still did great in Europe as late as 2012, so I’d imagine that’d have continued to be the case IF there was another record dropped and I reckon if more effort was put into releasing records, the 01/02 lineup would’ve won over the States too.

I’m not trying to downplay Axl’s role in selling out stadiums, the attraction was seeing Axl, Slash and to a slightly lesser extent, Duff, back together and a lot of the old imagery brought back out to tick all the boxes for nostalgia. 

Artistically, Slash and Duff need Axl more than he needs them. My opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Maybe in the US, but Guns still did great in Europe as late as 2012, so I’d imagine that’d have continued to be the case IF there was another record dropped and I reckon if more effort was put into releasing records, the 01/02 lineup would’ve won over the States too.

I’m not trying to downplay Axl’s role in selling out stadiums, the attraction was seeing Axl, Slash and to a slightly lesser extent, Duff, back together and a lot of the old imagery brought back out to tick all the boxes for nostalgia. 

Artistically, Slash and Duff need Axl more than he needs them. My opinion.

Artistically? Do you mean commercially?  Musical artists release music regularly. Axl hasn’t qualified for a long time. He’s a guy who tours the greatest hits to make money to keep his lifestyle going. He got Slash back because he wanted to make even more money and had also ran the well almost completely dry without him. 

Also what’s great in Europe until 2012? Most of Axl’s New GNR’s bigger shows there were festivals where the GNR name was doing the heavy lifting. The guy could very rarely play anything bigger than an arena without Slash on the 10 year long Chinese Democracy Tour. He then descended into Vegas residencies and other assorted small shows where his management is hiring models to stand in the front to give off the pathetic illusion that these shows are cool.  Slash comes back and they’re playing stadiums again worldwide. Hope Slash got a hell of a deal on this reunion because he saved Axl’s ass. 

14 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Artistically? Do you mean commercially?  Musical artists release music regularly. Axl hasn’t qualified for a long time. He’s a guy who tours the greatest hits to make money to keep his lifestyle going. He got Slash back because he wanted to make even more money and had also ran the well almost completely dry without him. 

Also what’s great in Europe until 2012? Most of Axl’s New GNR’s bigger shows there were festivals where the GNR name was doing the heavy lifting. The guy could very rarely play anything bigger than an arena without Slash on the 10 year long Chinese Democracy Tour. He then descended into Vegas residencies and other assorted small shows where his management is hiring models to stand in the front to give off the pathetic illusion that these shows are cool.  Slash comes back and they’re playing stadiums again worldwide. Hope Slash got a hell of a deal on this reunion because he saved Axl’s ass. 

Axl is sat on a lot of material that is, to my ears, vastly superior to anything Slash and Duff have put out since ‘96 - that’s my opinion - and I’d say it’s a safe bet to assume a potential new record will be filled with most of the compositions Axl has worked on during the Chinese sessions. He gets the best out of Slash and Duff is really what I’m getting at.

Selling out arenas over 3 legs of Europe (2006, 2010, 2012) is impressive, especially when touring off of one album. As I said, I’m sure if an album was to be released in the years that followed, they could’ve easily have maintained that level of interest in their shows across the pond. Slash wasn’t filling out stadiums himself across the board so he did need to join Guns to get back to this level that they’ve gotten back to.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

One isn't bigger than the other as far as icon status goes IMO. 

Really? I'm more a fan of Axl, and he's an iconic rock frontman, but Slash is a pop culture icon on another level. The guy has been in TV shows, played the super bowl, was the face of a huge video game... that's not a shot at Axl, since Axl would probably hate that level of attention lol, but Slash has more "star power" at this point in their careers, imo. Axl's past behavior and performances have done him no favors, either...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Really? I'm more a fan of Axl, and he's an iconic rock frontman, but Slash is a pop culture icon on another level. The guy has been in TV shows, played the super bowl, was the face of a huge video game... that's not a shot at Axl, since Axl would probably hate that level of attention lol, but Slash has more "star power" at this point in their careers, imo. Axl's past behavior and performances have done him no favors, either...

Axl seemed to be FAR less of a media whore than Slash. I think if Axl wanted to, he could receive far more attention. He just doesn't seem to be about that life. 

Imagine the attention Axl vs Slash would receive if they did a major TV interview, or a podcast with Joe Rogan. They would probably be in the same realm, but I think Axl would get a slightly larger audience at worst.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't disagree with anything you said about Slash. I'm not trying to take away from him at all. I just think they're on equal footing as far as "icon status" goes. 

Take "the snake dance" alone. Every man, woman and child knows the snake dance. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, RussTCB said:

Agreed. 

Is Axl AN icon? Yeah. Anywhere near the level of someone like Elvis or Liberace? Not even close. 

I don't think there can be mythical icons like Elvis in the modern era, with how technology has changed the world and how quickly music changes and trends go by. However I think Axl on a level that's as close as you can get as a living person.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, Rovim said:

Slash barely moves? I wish I'd have his energy at his age and his enthusiasm on the stage. Duff is not boring to me and in the olden days he was everything I've ever wanted from a hard rock bass player. And it's not really that sad cause it's just the way you feel about it. A lot of people are still mesmerized by Axl and Slash.

I don't think it is that surprising that a bunch of sober 60 years old don't move the same way as they did when they were about half that age and fucked up. Imagine if Gn'R was a band that formed in the 60's (even mid 50's) and people pointed out in the 90's how it's just not the same anymore. After 30 plus years, no band is the same.

It isn't surprising. And of course they're going to lack something compared to their twenty-something selves. I was just pointing it out because well... it's true. That, and I wanted to share my personal views on the subject because for me, current live GNR is just, meh. I mean, when you've got a billion clips of the 80's and early 90's GNR shows at your disposal, why in the world would you want to watch anything current? Because the video is less grainy? Because it's in widescreen? I just don't get it. They were better then.

Far, far better.

Now, if we're talking new music, that's a whole other issue. I'm still very interested in that.

Edited by Nintari