Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

3 hours ago, SMG said:

Y'all got so confused about SOYL. It was just remixed and remastered stems from back in the day. Bit of time alignment here and there, more processing for sure, but it's all still the boys from back then.

They didn't have stems back then.

2 hours ago, cqleonardo said:

me too. I wouldnt mind an EP with the CD leftovers re-recorded by the current line up and later 2022/23 a new album written by this lineup

I'm down with that.

1 hour ago, Gunsforever said:

Its Frank!

Do we know for sure?

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh I didn't wait either lol. I played it a few times through my laptop 😂 

I'm excited to hear it in better quality tomorrow and very excited (of course) to get it on vinyl too! 

This feels like GnR to me. Absurd did not. Feels like one of the three minute quick rock songs from Illusions. Not epic or classic, but as decent quality filler track. Like Right Next Door, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden etc...  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Thanks.. I'll pass

Aren't you like a big Slash Fan? His guitar parts are very nice. Really. 

I know you're against the way they produced this. But it is what it is. And it's beautiful. Very melodic and touching.

Eta: no matter when they were recorded the vocals are energetic and moving. I think the song works much better than I woud have expected.

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 1

I like the red image of the Skool locker.

Seems the song hasn't made it to YouTube yet, although it appears to listed on the official GNR YouTube page.

I do like the Slash snippet of Hard Skool recorded during the sound check.

I like what i have heard so far.. sounds way better than Absurd. 

Edited by star

Now, somebody, for the love of god, explain to me why THIS wasn't released as the first single, including a video made of those social media snippets. Just why? 

Well, fuck it, we finally got Checkmate aka Jackie Chan, and I'm loving it. Yes, kinda copy/paste, but a great start overall.

After the clips from the soundchecks, I didn't think I would like it that much. It still leaves a bitter taste, that Axl really didn't add anything substantial to the song from himself, the middle part would leave room for that. Nevertheless I really like the changes they made from the demo-version, the intro is really nice, Slash's guitar is nice to hear, but...

My favourite moment in the demo was always the breakdown, it was perfect in my opinion. Especially the drums were just too good with a very melodious guitar. Now it's just... boring.

That said, it appears I'm in the minority with this opinion, so... ;)

Just now, Lipfel2 said:

After the clips from the soundchecks, I didn't think I would like it that much. It still leaves a bitter taste, that Axl really didn't add anything substantial to the song from himself, the middle part would leave room for that. Nevertheless I really like the changes they made from the demo-version, the intro is really nice, Slash's guitar is nice to hear, but...

My favourite moment in the demo was always the breakdown, it was perfect in my opinion. Especially the drums were just too good with a very melodious guitar. Now it's just... boring.

That said, it appears I'm in the minority with this opinion, so... ;)

The good thing is that we still have the demo with Josh's awesome drums and Robin's melodic guitar melody :)

13 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Who wrote the lyrics? Who composed the music? What is the song about? What was the inspiration for it? Chords? Tabs? Will an album follow?

I don't fucking care anymore.

Too little, too late.

Just one bloody fucking mess.

In another universe from 20 years ago, my 20-something old me might have been interested in it.

If anything I might be mildly interested in hearing it performed LIVE.

However, if Absurd and Hard Skool are to what's to be expected from a new album (= chinese leftovers with Slash adding some guitaring), then they better keep touring their shallow little nostalgia act.

Maybe my ears are spoiled with music from these guys that is actually really good and worth listening to. Maybe I'm just too hard to please, expecting too much, I don't know.

I think its great they are still around doing their thing and I'm happy for everyone enjoying it, but my problem with the new track is the same problem I had with Absurd: It's just not my rave. And that's saying something, since I like 99% of all GNR songs, some more, some less but I generally like GNR very much, it's one of my absulute fav bands. And also like Chinese Democracy a lot.

But this track? No. Just no. Just like Absurd, an insult to my ears.

It's not even the sound or the performances of musicians mixed together form perhaps four different lineups, it's the core, the heart and soul of the song, there is just none of that in there. The entire operation is utterly pointless but not in a cool way, just a waste of time.

These songs, Absurd and Hard Skool are the one thing both classic GNR and Axl's CD-GNR never stood for: Resignation.

If they still want my attention, dedication and money at this point in my life boy they have to come up with more than Absurd and Hard Skool, a lot more than that.

Gonna check out tonight's streams/videos, if they don't sell it to me live I guess I have no more business hanging around here as the current state and music of GNR just might not be an enjoyable thing for me anymore.

I don't know what's worse GNR put out shitty music or their fans loving it. It used to be so much more and better than that.

You listen to Layla because is a great song or because it is a song wrote by a guy who was fucking his friend's wife?

Who cares man. You may not like the song at all, that's subjective, but the first half of your post is non-sense.  Would you rather them not to release this just because is old? It's a new song, never released or played before. We only know of its existence because of the leaks. Yes, it took a long time, but that doesn't make it less good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jamillos said:

Now, somebody, for the love of god, explain to me why THIS wasn't released as the first single, including a video made of those social media snippets. Just why? 

Well, fuck it, we finally got Checkmate aka Jackie Chan, and I'm loving it. Yes, kinda copy/paste, but a great start overall.

Hardskool may very well still be the first real single. 

Absurd seemed to act more as a promotional single/beside,  and I think it’s safe to assume it being performed/released first was due to it being easier to sing. 

whereas we have a much better chance of getting an actual video and air play for hs.

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Maybe they just had to get Absurd out of the way with in order to please Axl. I am glad we got through that dark moment and are on the way to greener pastures!

2 hours ago, betterman said:

Its an organ almost theough the entire song

I think I hear during the verses, but very very low in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Manfisman said:

This! Don't use Hola VPN. Please.

Yeah. This one was also a Chrome extension and it went really bad.

Try to use yts.com and download the song as mp3 or whatever, like someone already said here (sorry, too mano pages behind to give proper credits). 

3 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

True...That's the best part of the song. It genuinely surprises me every time and I might be on my 80th play in a row right now.

Out of likes, but yeah same here lol

I think this can be a hit (in the rock world obviously, not Taylor Swift level) if they do some decent promotion

3 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Hardskool may very well still be the first real single. 

Absurd seemed to act more as a promotional single/beside,  and I think it’s safe to assume it being performed/released first was due to it being easier to sing. 

whereas we have a much better chance of getting an actual video and air play for hs.

I surely hope so! 

3 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

Maybe they just had to get Absurd out of the way with in order to please Axl. I am glad we got through that dark moment and are on the way to greener pastures!

:lol: Good luck to us! 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is kind of baffling that you can like 99% of old Guns songs, which covers so many genres, and so utterly despise both Absurd and Hard Skool. I get it with Absurd, it's very different, but Hard Skool could easily have been on Appetite or UYI. It seems to me you are not open for new music from the band. 

You might be right, maybe I'm just not open. I couldn't even put my finger on what it is exactly that turns me off so much about these "new" tracks, but they just don't click with me. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find myself enjoying songs like their cover of Wichita Lineman a lot more than stuff Absurd or Hard Skool.