Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Unfortunately yeah, if what I'm saying is right, we all lose.

I feel we are almost being trolled right now by a guy getting musicians to record over his 20 year vocal demos and calling it new GNR songs.

Like I've said - it's Stockholm Syndrome at this point.  You're all happy with this so why does he need to write/record anything new?  Looking forward to the next 'new' song Atlas Shrugged?

Holly definition of glass half empty kind of person right here

• Like 1

Just now, Homefuck said:

Ok, thanks! What's the evidence supporting the case that it's from '96?

Just the working title Jackie Chan and the fact that they wanted to release a song for a Jackie Chan movie. 

Just now, Homefuck said:

I think because since Axl called the Checkmate leak "Jackie Chan" in the forum chats and Duff in a interview around '96 mentioned they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie.  It could be, but it also could be two unrelated things as well, so it is hard to say unless a band member elaborates on it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We can only speculate on that. A strong case has been made that it's from '96.

Hopefully they'll tell us in the near future.

Hopefully it will be added to Ascap soon like it was with Absurd, even if that won't 100% clear any doubts. I mean, Slash & Duff are credited on Absurd so they can get royalties, it could be the case here too. But it will be interesting to see if someone else is credited for this song other than the big 3 and who.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

I think because since Axl called the Checkmate leak "Jackie Chan" in the forum chats and Duff in a interview around '96 mentioned they were working on a song for a Jackie Chan movie.  It could be, but it also could be two unrelated things as well, so it is hard to say unless a band member elaborates on it

Sounds plausible. It would be a weird coincidence otherwise.

Just now, Homefuck said:

Sounds plausible. It would be a weird coincidence otherwise.

There could have been a song for that movie but only a certain riff was used and it became a new song. 

Glad they are releasing stuff and most of y'all are happy. 

Personally after two listens (one about 30mins after release) and then just now. 

Controversial but I prefer Absurd. 

But regardless of that comparison, the drums sound awful, not the beats themselves, but the tone and mixing, whilst the song itself feels like they just lumped Slash whaling away using his Amplitube plug in, and turned up duffs bass to remind us he is there. Some good vocals albeit old. 

Not much soul and feels to me to be far removed from any GNR sound (in a bad way), the rockers on CD are much better and sound bigger. Maybe it's the mix I don't know but it just doesn't sound particularly real. 

Excited stuff is coming out and I'll continue to spin the song and give my ears a chance to digest properly but initially it's a bit of a 'meh' song and sounds like a demo being polished.

To be fair the leaked demo ages ago I wasn't too hot on and couldn't see the excitement for it, but held hope due to it being a demo. 

Imo they need to just get together and make new music in a studio. 

Underwhelmed, but can understand why a lot of folk enjoy it and glad loads of you are stoked with it. 

2 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Like @WhazUp said, Duff had mentioned in an interview in July 1996 that they were about to work on a song for the next Jackie Chan movie. Matt Sorum also has mentioned it in his unreleased book (saying it was a song Axl had and it had no vocals yet). And in 2008 Axl said, referring to the then leaked "Checkmate" clip, that "Checkmate" was a fake title and the working title was Jackie Chan. That's too much of a coincidence.

5 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Duff once mentioned they worked on a song for a Jackie Chan movie and the first title for hard skool was Jackie Chan.

This and I swear I read something from Richard pre-reunion that some of the material worked on had Slash's fingerprints on it from those 95/96 sessions. 

Last night I worked overnight. I stayed up 25 hours straight. I slept maybe 5 hours upon getting home. Woke up to this. I ain't even tired. I'm in love with this song. It's what a first new GNR release should be IMO. Slash and Duff really bring a lot to this material. My hopes aren't up for anything else at this point. Just happy something of significance finally happened. Once I hear it on radio and hopefully hear the general population and casual fans accept it as at least a good song, I'll be even happier. I'm tired of everyone outside of this forum shitting on Absurd lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Duff had mentioned in an interview in July 1996 that they were about to work on a song for the next Jackie Chan movie. 

Just had a look at the Jackie Chan movie chronology and, if anyone is interested, the movie was most likely to be Mr Nice Guy, released in January '97.
Edit: more browsing revealed that, apparently, the one released in January 97 in the USA is First Strike (originally released for the Asian market one year earlier). So it could be either the american version of First Strike or Mr Nice Guy (released in the USA only in 98). 

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Hopefully it will be added to Ascap soon like it was with Absurd, even if that won't 100% clear any doubts. I mean, Slash & Duff are credited on Absurd so they can get royalties, it could be the case here too. But it will be interesting to see if someone else is credited for this song other than the big 3 and who.

Yes, it'll be probably added in a week or so. But if there are no writers represented by ASCAP (since Axl is on SESAC and Slash/Duff on GMR) it may take longer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

There isn't much.

Duff said back around 96 they were going to submit a song to a Jackie Chan movie.

Axl said on this very forum that the song we know as 'checkmate' is now known as Jackie Chan.

People used that to link them together.

4 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Just had a look at the Jackie Chan movie chronology and, if anyone is interested, the movie was most likely to be Mr Nice Guy, released in January '97.

Talking about Jackie Chan I just remembered this clip:

Easily worth five minutes of your time. He's kind of forgotten now, but he was (is?) completely fearless. Amazing stuff!

Edited by Homefuck
  • Like 3