Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Just now, hudsonsaul said:

Initially listens for me were via headphones (good quality ones too). But just went for a drive and cranked it a couple times loud with better sound system then headphones - certainly sounded better that way.

Yup that’s how I’m listening. Always the best way to listen 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hidin´Stradlin said:

English is not my native tongue. So, what does "Hard School" means? It is like a hard lesson to learn or something like that?

Yes pretty much. Like live if hard and teaches you tough lessons. School is hard but you come out of it a better tougher person. Better prepared to face the world

5 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

'Atlas Shrugged', 'State of Grace' or 'Perhaps' will probably be next.

Atlas Shrugged is the leaked song I liked the most so I'd love to see an official release of it in some form. Can't deny that it would probably need a few more verses though, lyrically it seemed a bit unfinished. I also think Slash could work some magic on that song as well.

21 minutes ago, The Black said:

How in the hell is Axl ever going to sing the chorus live. He has enough breathing trouble as it is, let alone having to maintain all those words.

I predict him leaving out a few phrases.

He'll be phoning Grohl to get the chair back.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mystery said:

Atlas Shrugged is the leaked song I liked the most so I'd love to see an official release of it in some form. Can't deny that it would probably need a few more verses though, lyrically it seemed a bit unfinished. I also think Slash could work some magic on that song as well.

its my favorite one as of now too

48 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Yes, multiple tracks. I say multiple meaning more than at least 5 that were mentioned to me (no I don’t know names and I wouldn’t say if I did).  There are 100% new songs finished and waiting to be released. The album/EP was ready to go before COVID.  Regarding the songs heard, his overall consensus was “meh” and after hearing what they did with Absurd and this most recent one, I totally understand where he’s coming from. I’ll never be able to get the “yeah, but do you really?” line he used on me when I said I wanted to hear new music. No way in hell anything is going to come close to what was released 30 years ago. 

I’m starting to believe it will be 99% leftovers with the majority of the parts overworked by Slash and Duff but I’m hoping for something completely new with this lineup. I was originally told there were a few all new tracks, mostly Slash ideas, that were recorded but that remains to be seen.

This band never ceases to amaze me. I am still confident, as is my buddy that we will see a full release via EP or a full album (or both) by years end.  Everyone is getting along and that’s pretty obvious so let’s see what happens. Sorry to anyone if I’m repeating myself from previous posts. 

Whom are you referring to in this post?  Would love to hear some details without having to go through the entire thread.  Are you saying that an insider heard some post CD era new material and wasn't a big fan?  

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Idk I can’t think of a lot of legacy bands that put out a single as good as this

It is a good single to release, for sure.  It is very AFD-esque, Slash heavy, and Axl sounding more like Axl as opposed to his vocals on Absurd

The legacy band I think that did the best with this was Rush, Clockwork Angels was such a great album and their first couple of preview singles were a masterclass in how to still rock out hard even when you are older

• Like 2

It’s weird but because they’re releasing this on the anniversary of Nevermind, some of the lyrics make me think it’s Axl talking about Kurt Cobain and his rejection of Axl’s invitation to tour with GNR.

I would not hesitate to extend myself and lend you my hand.

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way, had to be a fool, had to throw it all away

I don’t think the song is about Kurt, ‘save what we had’ doesn’t make any sense in this context, but that’s who sprung to my mind when hearing those lyrics again today.

Edited by Stress Fracture

Listening on headphones now, I am still fairly convinced it is Slash doing all the guitar-work just like Absurd.  His tone is all over each of the rhythm tracks - though that being said on these two tracks the right-panned rhythm track is definitely the more "active" one just like in the old days.  A few more random little licks and sounds coming from that one on both songs

It really is amazing how "GNR" is sounds when you add Slash's guitar work to it and add Duff's bass with an ISE-esque intro.  All it needs is a less-processed drum sound and a different mix and it would fit in with old school GNR

Just listened to it using an Australian VPN (easy to find on Google play) through the gnr YouTube channel.. 

It's a bit different from the Village sessions (hearing that version hundreds of times in the past 2 years it'll take some getting used to the changes.. But) it's sounds great.. Maybe I'm biased beings I'm starved for new music but the  message of (semi) new material is extremely exciting.. Hope they play it tonight.. 

Also.. Just a theory.. Similar to the leaks prior to CD maybe they are releasing songs accordingly now with the village leaks and (if there is actually an album coming) we could hear some actual new songs or finished instrumentals.. (I hate this word...) soon.. 

🤟

Edited by murph