Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

IMO Hard School in this song is basically Axl saying the person is too “hardcore” or “badass/cool” or at least the person in question thinks of themselves this way. They’re set in their ways.

I think Axl give it meaning, but i think the real meaning aside Axl is like Alfierose says and same spanish language, apparently british and spanish meaning same. Axl live in his own planet...:D

9 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

Dude they ALL SOUND unfinished.  Does nobody own AFD or UYI?  Go listen to a properly mixed GN'R SONG and then listen to this stuff.  It's a cut and paste hack job of a song that's 22 years old.   This is not a band that got in the studio and made this song...it's Axl telling them "whatever, do something with this..."

My guy, if you knew how music has been recorded over the past 20-30 years, you would be very disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finally heard it, and it's better than the demo, much more of a UYI feel to this. Some good guitar work and the vocals are improved.

Only criticisms is that Axl is a tiny bit low in the mix, I also feel like he could have added a more prominent vocal over the slide section.

7 minutes ago, Fozzie Bear said:

This just it...the DRUMS on the DEMO were so much better.  Something about this new version just isn't hitting...but cue the GN'R apologists who weren't even around when GN'R made amazing studio material.  All of my friends who grew up with GN'R are literally laughing at these last 2 "singles"....

The drums on the demo were definitely better. The playing on the released version is fine, but I'm really not a fan of the drum sound on this or Absurd. I guess when you're pasting together parts from the early-mid 2000's with other parts from the 2020's, you've gotta compress and EQ the shit out of certain tracks... :(

11 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

Oh, man. My guy. The feel on it, I get it, word, but best drummer? Yikes.

For GNR that is. ;) Just like Slash is the best lead guitarist for GNR, even though he's lightyears away from the pantheon of truly great guitarists imo. Josh is one fine drummer, but with GNR I have yet to hear a better fit than Steven.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I sometimes get what you're saying and sometimes feel you get a hard rap for making certain points. But really who the fuck cares about what year the vocals were recorded?! And realistically we have no way of validating it either. Even if we did... so what!?

It wou;dn't matter at all if there was a vault of recordings over the last two decades.

There isn't, so they are scraping together the last of what he did and the people here are falling for it.

They have literally pasted a scream from 'Eye On You' into the middle of this. 

We'll get the 'woo woo' from Quick Song pasted into Atlas next lol

• ABSUЯD 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The drums on the demo were definitely better. The playing on the released version is fine, but I'm really not a fan of the drum sound on this or Absurd. I guess when you're pasting together parts from the early-mid 2000's with other parts from the 2020's, you've gotta compress and EQ the shit out of certain tracks... :(

Good point. The mix does sound quite flat imo. Especially considering the resources this band has at its disposal. 

I'm enjoying the track a lot more now the house is empty and I can crank things loudly. 

• Like 1

Sadly I got to say too many cool elements from the original version were stripped away and the mix of the sound just doesn't sound as "badass" as the original version for me:(it reminds me of every other washed up 80s bands new albums like what Warrant has been releasing the last decade.

Really weak guitar solo by Slash aswell which is a big WTF for me, even filler tracks from WOF like Too Far Gone had amazing memorable structured solos while this is a GNR single.

Maybe it will grow on me, but as much as I laughed at people saying they prefer Absurd when skimming through this thread, here I stand thinking Absurd is the more badass song in the end.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I sometimes get what you're saying and sometimes feel you get a hard rap for making certain points. But really who the fuck cares about what year the vocals were recorded?! And realistically we have no way of validating it either. Even if we did... so what!?

Pretty much spot on. If you have loads of vocal takes compiled from a time when you were vocally much stronger etc - why wouldn’t you use them?!

Sure it might sound a bit different live (we don’t yet know) but who cares? People are only going to judge the studio stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Yes, multiple tracks. I say multiple meaning more than at least 5 that were mentioned to me (no I don’t know names and I wouldn’t say if I did).  There are 100% new songs finished and waiting to be released. The album/EP was ready to go before COVID.  Regarding the songs heard, his overall consensus was “meh” and after hearing what they did with Absurd and this most recent one, I totally understand where he’s coming from. I’ll never be able to get the “yeah, but do you really?” line he used on me when I said I wanted to hear new music. No way in hell anything is going to come close to what was released 30 years ago. 

I’m starting to believe it will be 99% leftovers with the majority of the parts overworked by Slash and Duff but I’m hoping for something completely new with this lineup. I was originally told there were a few all new tracks, mostly Slash ideas, that were recorded but that remains to be seen.

This band never ceases to amaze me. I am still confident, as is my buddy that we will see a full release via EP or a full album (or both) by years end.  Everyone is getting along and that’s pretty obvious so let’s see what happens. Sorry to anyone if I’m repeating myself from previous posts. 

Thanks for your answer. Yeah I think too we'll have some new original songs as well. If he's heard these songs already then I'm hopeful that an album is imminent.

1 hour ago, davisp said:

me and my gf had our 10 year anniversary today, Hard Skool got released, I had a Guinness, Hard Skool got released, the Guinness was followed by 4 different craft beers, Hard Skool got released, I had a dry aged rib eye steak, Hard Skool got released..... what a day

Happy anniversary!

• Like 1