Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I sometimes get what you're saying and sometimes feel you get a hard rap for making certain points. But really who the fuck cares about what year the vocals were recorded?! And realistically we have no way of validating it either. Even if we did... so what!?

It wou;dn't matter at all if there was a vault of recordings over the last two decades.

There isn't, so they are scraping together the last of what he did and the people here are falling for it.

They have literally pasted a scream from 'Eye On You' into the middle of this. 

We'll get the 'woo woo' from Quick Song pasted into Atlas next lol

• ABSUЯD 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The drums on the demo were definitely better. The playing on the released version is fine, but I'm really not a fan of the drum sound on this or Absurd. I guess when you're pasting together parts from the early-mid 2000's with other parts from the 2020's, you've gotta compress and EQ the shit out of certain tracks... :(

Good point. The mix does sound quite flat imo. Especially considering the resources this band has at its disposal. 

I'm enjoying the track a lot more now the house is empty and I can crank things loudly. 

• Like 1

Sadly I got to say too many cool elements from the original version were stripped away and the mix of the sound just doesn't sound as "badass" as the original version for me:(it reminds me of every other washed up 80s bands new albums like what Warrant has been releasing the last decade.

Really weak guitar solo by Slash aswell which is a big WTF for me, even filler tracks from WOF like Too Far Gone had amazing memorable structured solos while this is a GNR single.

Maybe it will grow on me, but as much as I laughed at people saying they prefer Absurd when skimming through this thread, here I stand thinking Absurd is the more badass song in the end.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I sometimes get what you're saying and sometimes feel you get a hard rap for making certain points. But really who the fuck cares about what year the vocals were recorded?! And realistically we have no way of validating it either. Even if we did... so what!?

Pretty much spot on. If you have loads of vocal takes compiled from a time when you were vocally much stronger etc - why wouldn’t you use them?!

Sure it might sound a bit different live (we don’t yet know) but who cares? People are only going to judge the studio stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Yes, multiple tracks. I say multiple meaning more than at least 5 that were mentioned to me (no I don’t know names and I wouldn’t say if I did).  There are 100% new songs finished and waiting to be released. The album/EP was ready to go before COVID.  Regarding the songs heard, his overall consensus was “meh” and after hearing what they did with Absurd and this most recent one, I totally understand where he’s coming from. I’ll never be able to get the “yeah, but do you really?” line he used on me when I said I wanted to hear new music. No way in hell anything is going to come close to what was released 30 years ago. 

I’m starting to believe it will be 99% leftovers with the majority of the parts overworked by Slash and Duff but I’m hoping for something completely new with this lineup. I was originally told there were a few all new tracks, mostly Slash ideas, that were recorded but that remains to be seen.

This band never ceases to amaze me. I am still confident, as is my buddy that we will see a full release via EP or a full album (or both) by years end.  Everyone is getting along and that’s pretty obvious so let’s see what happens. Sorry to anyone if I’m repeating myself from previous posts. 

Thanks for your answer. Yeah I think too we'll have some new original songs as well. If he's heard these songs already then I'm hopeful that an album is imminent.

1 hour ago, davisp said:

me and my gf had our 10 year anniversary today, Hard Skool got released, I had a Guinness, Hard Skool got released, the Guinness was followed by 4 different craft beers, Hard Skool got released, I had a dry aged rib eye steak, Hard Skool got released..... what a day

Happy anniversary!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Unfortunately that's a 2021 rock drum sound. It's shit and not what drums actually sound like, but we're in another period where drums are processed. 

I was listening to an interview with Mitch Allan (currently a producer, former one hit wonder with SR-71) and he mentioned that he doesn't even keep real drums in his studio atm because no one is using them. 

I went for a drive tonight and came away with a few more takeaways

i listened to absurd first. This song has lost a bit now for me. It’s upbeat live but now that hard skool is out there’s something better to listen to. It’s like an ex girlfriend and now you have eyes on a new prize. 

however the drums in absurd hit a bit different. There’s more punch and more authority in the way Brian is hitting them. The drums also sound slightly different. They sound more like the SOYL release. 

i then listened to hard skool. The drums are much different. More bland, higher mix, different cymbals, different feel. Sounds like Frank. the breakdown drags with the heys. I’m not a fan there. The transition to the slide part also is a bit rough. More copy paste like (like the vocals). That’s gonna be a weird transition live and I wonder if Richard does some of that. The mix is very polished, similar to living the dream and CD. Maybe that’s the not recording on tape aspect of it. 

i then ended with hard school (leaked demo). The intro is very movie like. Big slow build up that takes forever. The Axl vocals sound more raw and fierce in a way. The instruments aren’t as polished. Overall the only thing I miss is the buckethead outro. That was a slick little solo. 

overall I like the new version more. It’s a rocker, although I think picking up the tempo love would be better. A fun song and classic GNR sounding. I bet radio and casuals dig it. 

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Sadly I got to say too many cool elements from the original version were stripped away and the mix of the sound just doesn't sound as "badass" as the original version for me:(it reminds me of every other washed up 80s bands new albums like what Warrant has been releasing the last decade.

Really weak guitar solo by Slash aswell which is a big WTF for me, even filler tracks from WOF like Too Far Gone had amazing memorable structured solos while this is a GNR single.

Maybe it will grow on me, but as much as I laughed at people saying they prefer Absurd when skimming through this thread, here I stand thinking Absurd is the more badass song in the end.

I think I was the only person to say they preferred Absurd to be fair! 

I do though......

5 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

There is nothing more amusing than people who know nothing about mixing or producing complaining about things being copied and pasted or things being compressed or drum replacement etc. THE SOLO TO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN WAS CUT AND PASTED TOGETHER FROM DIFFERENT TAKES. DRUMS HAVE HAD SAMPLE REPLACEMENT/SUPPORT SINCE THE 80'S. Loudness/compression wars started in the late 90's, but really with the advent of the CD. Your favorite records contain all the things you are whining about.

Funnily enough, GnR fired Bob Clearmountain in 1991 because he used drum samples on the UYI mixes.

But a lifetime has passed since then.

• Like 1

Just now, WVsax27 said:

I was listening to an interview with Mitch Allan (currently a producer, former one hit wonder with SR-71) and he mentioned that he doesn't even keep real drums in his studio atm because no one is using them. 

Yeah, John Feldmann has live drums but people who work in his studio say unless it's Travis Barker, the drums are Superior Drummer.

To make a competitive commercial mix, you almost *have* to have drum samples either supporting or replacing. Your drummer has to be absolutely world class to get away with not doing it these days, guys who hit 127 midi velocity irl. The number of those in existence are small, and somehow appear to all be in prog metal bands or gospel. Otherwise, you are getting sample supplemented or replaced, because your mix will sound weird, thin, and dated. And this has been the case for 30 years. There are analog units used in the 90's that contain shell samples used on classic hit records. This is far from new.

The amount of things that are programmed these days would astound you. The bass modelers these days are even incredible (personally love Submission Audio's punkbass and djinnbass). It's just what it is, and if your heroes had all this stuff back then, ways to make their mixes even better and hit harder, they would do it, too.

17 minutes ago, Pele said:

It wou;dn't matter at all if there was a vault of recordings over the last two decades.

There isn't, so they are scraping together the last of what he did and the people here are falling for it.

They have literally pasted a scream from 'Eye On You' into the middle of this. 

We'll get the 'woo woo' from Quick Song pasted into Atlas next lol

I think you wildly over estimate how much anyone cares about when the vocal was recorded, rather than that they are 'falling for it'. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Funnily enough, GnR fired Bob Clearmountain in 1991 because he used drum samples on the UYI mixes.

But a lifetime has passed since then.

Which is ironic for all the anti-compression people, because, do you know what you need to do to get a snare drum to sound like it does on UYI if you aren't using samples? My god slam those things -infinity gain reduction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Unfortunately that's a 2021 rock drum sound. It's shit and not what drums actually sound like, but we're in another period where drums are processed. 

That's not true, there's drum sounds on rock records that came out this year that sound much better than this song. This one should like cheap samples plus it's too obvious that the drums have been heavily quantized. Yes I know that most rock/metal nowadays has quantized/mapped drums but it doesn't sound so much like a cheap drum machine, it still sounds like a real drummer. The kick is way too loud imo, to where the rest of the kit (esp cymbals) are too soft. Cowbell needs to stand out a lot more like it does on all the old classic GnR material. There's some weird comping/editing going on with the drums too.

I know a lot of people don't like Elvis' production on SMKC and Alter Bridge but his mixes sound way better than this one. He also did the WVH and upcoming Tremonti albums and those drums (and overall mixes) sound incredible. For a band of GnR's status I would expect better. I guess it's fine if they want to keep Caram around to engineer the sessions but I think they need to get a real producer and mix engineer to work on their stuff. Like the mix on SOYL, that's what this should sound like.

• Like 1

Just now, TeeJay410 said:

Which is ironic for all the anti-compression people, because, do you know what you need to do to get a snare drum to sound like it does on UYI if you aren't using samples? My god slam those things -infinity gain reduction.

Whatever snare Adler used on AFD and how they mixed that snare sound sign me up for. I don’t mind the UYI drum mixing at all (I myself am a drummer and love his kit sound on the tour and on the album) but my god Adlers snare is amazing on AFD. I think it was a black beauty but never have been able to find out for sure.