Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

12 minutes ago, Pele said:

It wou;dn't matter at all if there was a vault of recordings over the last two decades.

There isn't, so they are scraping together the last of what he did and the people here are falling for it.

They have literally pasted a scream from 'Eye On You' into the middle of this. 

We'll get the 'woo woo' from Quick Song pasted into Atlas next lol

Pele... If you just don't like the song comment away by all means, but if you're just here to spew out your BS about Axl only having like 5 songs left with vocals, we know your "beliefs" and we don't need to hear it again😄 Your beliefs are based on nothing, the rest of the people "falling for it" have read numerous interviews with past members, producers, engineers, Sebastian bach all confirming that there is a ton of music. Tommy said it quite plainly, there's plenty of material with vocals and plenty without as of the last time he heard anything. Why would Tommy need to make that up? he isn't under contract, he has no obligation.... he wasn't bullshitting like you, he was stating what he knows to be fact (as he actually heard the material), you know nothing as fact, and your moron "insider" knows nothing too. Kindly shut the hell up?

I'm listening to the new version and I'd say 90% is vocals from 99 (or thereabouts), there are parts that sound different too. I'm not positive about what is and isn;'t new, and I don't care. It sounds like a cool song (not their best - in line with get in the ring, shotgun blues etc), that's my takeaway from this! I couldn't give two fucks that some or maybe even all vocals were recorded 20yrs ago! Why does it matter? it really makes no difference at all. The question is do you like the song, yes or no.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think you wildly over estimate how much anyone cares about when the vocal was recorded, rather than that they are 'falling for it'. 

Again, it doesn't matter when this particular vocal was done.

What matters is he is still pasting music over old vocals,

He has now resorted to lifting screams from old demos and pasting them into other songs.

He is done.

• Haha 1

Okay I’ll start with the positives:

- This song is 1000 times better than ‘Absurd’ and will likely please casual GNR fans and get radio play. It’s catchy.

- The long and unnecessary intro is gone. It’s not that I didn’t like the playing but it just felt out of place and went on too long. The short bass intro is more effective IMO.

- I was never a big fan of Robin’s (I think?) weird solo in the middle of the demo and I prefer Slash’s sliding stuff.

The negatives:

- That school bell in the intro is unacceptable and maximum cheese, as is the title ‘Hard Skool’ and the artwork. I mean how old are these guys? 16 or 60?!

- The drums on the new version sound programmed and suck ass. I miss the little pre chorus drum fills from the demo too.

- Slash’s leads (excluding the slide stuff) sound a bit predictable and uninspired to me.

So overall there’s some things I prefer about the demo and vice versa. After the abomination that was Absurd though this track is definitely a step in the right direction.

Regarding the vocal track, it all sounds the same as the demo to me EXCEPT the last chorus… Im sure he’s singing ‘Throw it all away’ slightly different isn’t he??

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Pele... If you just don't like the song comment away by all means, but if you're just here to spew out your BS about Axl only having like 5 songs left with vocals, we know your "beliefs" and we don't need to hear it again😄 Your beliefs are based on nothing, the rest of the people "falling for it" have read numerous interviews with past members, producers, engineers, Sebastian bach all confirming that there is a ton of music. Tommy said it quite plainly, there's plenty of material with vocals and plenty without as of the last time he heard anything. Why would Tommy need to make that up? he isn't under contract, he has no obligation.... he wasn't bullshitting like you, he was stating what he knows to be fact (as he actually heard the material), you know nothing as fact, and your moron "insider" knows nothing too. Kindly shut the hell up?

I'm listening to the new version and I'd say 90% is vocals from 99 (or thereabouts), there are parts that sound different too. I'm not positive about what is and isn;'t new, and I don't care. It sounds like a cool song (not their best - in line with get in the ring, shotgun blues etc), that's my takeaway from this! I couldn't give two fucks that some or maybe even all vocals were recorded 20yrs ago! Why does it matter? it really makes no difference at all. The question is do you like the song, yes or no.

The song is decent.  It was decent enough 21 years ago.

Because what else is Tommy gonna say - "no the singer doesn't record unfortunately, so no new albums".  He and Richard wanted to stay in the band, so they kept up the nonsense that Rose was still writing/recording.

Finck had enough, so told the truth.  That it was all instrumentals.

Buckethead also realized and left.

And in your own words, if you think Guns n Roses new single being as good as Shotgun Blues with vocals from two decades ago, then you're easily pleased.  Right after their last single, being about as good as My World.... 

• Like 1

Cannot believe there are negative comments. We’ve complained for years about new music, and we get 2 releases out of the blue. Yes, they are old tracks, but they clearly have the ‘reunion’ band on it. Hopefully ‘Hardskool’ will bring some favourable reviews, for me it sounds great, and I’m happy.

Edited by robin2002
  • Like 3

The one other critique I have is that I think each part of the solo section should be 16 bars instead of 8, feels kind of rushed otherwise. Like it goes to the cowbell part kind of quickly then it's on to the half time slide solo, I would've preferred 16 bars of cowbell then the slide. I'm just being picky now though.

5 minutes ago, Pele said:

The song is decent.  It was decent enough 21 years ago.

Because what else is Tommy gonna say - "no the singer doesn't record unfortunately, so no new albums".  He and Richard wanted to stay in the band, so they kept up the nonsense that Rose was still writing/recording.

Finck had enough, so told the truth.  That it was all instrumentals.

Buckethead also realized and left.

And in your own words, if you think Guns n Roses new single being as good as Shotgun Blues with vocals from two decades ago, then you're easily pleased.  Right after their last single, being about as good as My World.... 

The statement from Tommy was during the NITL tour...  so, you know diddly squat clearly😜

I'm not easily pleased, I said it's far from their best work, I said that when I heard the 21yr old leak too, but this is better than the demo. As a GNR song it's about a 6, but I really like parts of it and I think it'll be fun live. It's also nice to have officially released GNR music, I think you need some perspective. 

I've listened to it a handful of times so far today. I like that, unlike Absurd essentially being the same as the BBF version of Silkworms, HS has been reworked a bit from The Village sessions. However, I think I actually prefer The Village version better, or at least would with a proper mix. I'll go against the grain and say I really like the intro on The Village version - the single just gets into it all a bit too quick without the whole band kicking in right from the get go. I'm digging Slash's solos, but otherwise I think I prefer the guitar work on The Village version; I particularly miss the little repeating lick preceding the solo on the demo. The drums are the biggest thing to me - the drums on the demo really drive the song and invigorate it with a lot of energy, here the drumming just feels a little too relaxed and in the pocket to me. Finally I'm not sold on the mix, it all just sounds a little too dry for my tastes. 

That's not to take away from what we have here - I'm still legitimately excited that this song has finally officially seen the light of day, and I imagine to fresh ear who are less critical this will be a killer track. I can't believe this day is finally here 15 years after we first heard the 16 second clip of Checkmate. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slashs soloing on Absurd is more inspired, and the track as a whole just has a "danger" about it like ISE. None of the rerecorded HS stands out to me in any way, except for the 3 seconds of intro, and even then they have come up with cooler stuff than that in the past (Sucker Train Blues). Hopefully we'll get an album announcement tonight.

I agree that Absurd has more balls even just musically. 

But what's this about an announcement? Have I missed something are we expecting something for a certain reason? 

I love it!

I also love absurd. Like the loose punky feel.

I wish duffs vocals were a touch higher and Axl's sat back in the music a bit more but small issues.

Just so happy to have new music from guns after all this time.

I'm desperate for more!

Must admit Mmy favourite version of hardskool might be  the soundcheck with vocals pasted over the top.

Really gotten in to that version.

This is much better than the leaked version though.

I am disappointed. I'm glad the intro is gone. Slash plays some tasty licks. The long meandering bridge is still there and causes the song to loose momentum. I really thought they would have got rid of that. Axl using the Eye on you vocals instead of coming up with something new is really uninspired. Its just not aggressive enough.

7 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

I agree that Absurd has more balls even just musically. 

But what's this about an announcement? Have I missed something are we expecting something for a certain reason? 

Not anything certain, I just find it unlikely we'd get another non-album single that promotes nothing

5 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

It's definitely attached to another song, the drums at the very beginning show that.

I'm surprised it's not a stand alone version.

Like a day in the life by the Beatles, there are two versions, most use the fade in from the reprise before it, but the isolated guitar version at the start is great, and rare

Wow I never noticed that... i feel you're right. Curious what that song could be.