Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

I've listened to it a handful of times so far today. I like that, unlike Absurd essentially being the same as the BBF version of Silkworms, HS has been reworked a bit from The Village sessions. However, I think I actually prefer The Village version better, or at least would with a proper mix. I'll go against the grain and say I really like the intro on The Village version - the single just gets into it all a bit too quick without the whole band kicking in right from the get go. I'm digging Slash's solos, but otherwise I think I prefer the guitar work on The Village version; I particularly miss the little repeating lick preceding the solo on the demo. The drums are the biggest thing to me - the drums on the demo really drive the song and invigorate it with a lot of energy, here the drumming just feels a little too relaxed and in the pocket to me. Finally I'm not sold on the mix, it all just sounds a little too dry for my tastes. 

That's not to take away from what we have here - I'm still legitimately excited that this song has finally officially seen the light of day, and I imagine to fresh ear who are less critical this will be a killer track. I can't believe this day is finally here 15 years after we first heard the 16 second clip of Checkmate. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Slashs soloing on Absurd is more inspired, and the track as a whole just has a "danger" about it like ISE. None of the rerecorded HS stands out to me in any way, except for the 3 seconds of intro, and even then they have come up with cooler stuff than that in the past (Sucker Train Blues). Hopefully we'll get an album announcement tonight.

I agree that Absurd has more balls even just musically. 

But what's this about an announcement? Have I missed something are we expecting something for a certain reason? 

I love it!

I also love absurd. Like the loose punky feel.

I wish duffs vocals were a touch higher and Axl's sat back in the music a bit more but small issues.

Just so happy to have new music from guns after all this time.

I'm desperate for more!

Must admit Mmy favourite version of hardskool might be  the soundcheck with vocals pasted over the top.

Really gotten in to that version.

This is much better than the leaked version though.

I am disappointed. I'm glad the intro is gone. Slash plays some tasty licks. The long meandering bridge is still there and causes the song to loose momentum. I really thought they would have got rid of that. Axl using the Eye on you vocals instead of coming up with something new is really uninspired. Its just not aggressive enough.

7 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

I agree that Absurd has more balls even just musically. 

But what's this about an announcement? Have I missed something are we expecting something for a certain reason? 

Not anything certain, I just find it unlikely we'd get another non-album single that promotes nothing

It's definitely attached to another song, the drums at the very beginning show that.

I'm surprised it's not a stand alone version.

Like a day in the life by the Beatles, there are two versions, most use the fade in from the reprise before it, but the isolated guitar version at the start is great, and rare

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

It's definitely attached to another song, the drums at the very beginning show that.

I'm surprised it's not a stand alone version.

Like a day in the life by the Beatles, there are two versions, most use the fade in from the reprise before it, but the isolated guitar version at the start is great, and rare

Wow I never noticed that... i feel you're right. Curious what that song could be.

Just now, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Anyone else noticed that they haven't promoted a damn thing about it? Not a whisper on anyone's socials.

You mean exactly what happened with Absurd? 

It's an accident that we heard it today. The worldwide launch was supposed to happen at midnight eastern. Promotion will happen tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Just now, RussTCB said:

It's an accident that we heard it today. The worldwide launch was supposed to happen at midnight eastern. Promotion will happen tomorrow. 

This, it releases in 3 hours in the USA. That's when we know what the score is. Maybe Axl tells us during this show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think so. Most other music is released at midnight on everyones own timezone including SMKCs past releases, I don't see why GNR would be special

1 minute ago, GNFNRUK said:

Really? I’m going to ASDA tomorrow to do my big shop! Will be sure to pop the CD single in my basket!

If there was a single CD with a Cuban Skies b-side sitting on supermarket shelves in the UK this all would have leaked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I particularly miss the little repeating lick preceding the solo on the demo.

Yeah! I actually love that little duel guitar breakdown in the 99 version right before the "AfD-esque" part right before the bridge shifts. Pretty sure its Robin and its awesome. I love Slash's parts and everything about the new version, but I am glad to have the '99 demo, too. That guitar part is super cool. 

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't think so. Most other music is released at midnight on everyones own timezone including SMKCs past releases, I don't see why GNR would be special

Wasn't Absurd released at midnight eastern? 

And my point was regarding promotion. The song was supposed to be tomorrow, not today. So the promotion will start tomorrow.