Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right on, that's what I thought. The overall point is that there was no promotion for HS because tomorrow is release day. 

Hey, it’s 11:18am here in Australia, and we got it at midnight, so you’re trying to tell me it hasn’t officially been released yet, even though I’ve had it for 11 hours now…? :lol:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Personally, I'm glad GN'R aren't putting out SCOM & PC clones. They already did that and we already own those songs. There's plenty of artists out there who just make music they figure their fans will eat it because it's more of the same. For all of the problems I have with GN'Rs inability to release music, I'm sure glad the songs aren't just lazy clones of their past glory when they do. 

Yeah, my worst fear was that we could possibly get a bunch of songs that are just them trying to be in 80s again lol.

• Like 1

Russ, I absolutely know what you’re getting at, I’m just having fun.

But, I will point out that 12 hours ago, I saw Jarmo post on FB from his Here Today page, saying that the single would be out tomorrow (today), so he beat GN’R to the punch of promotion for this single… :facepalm: :lol:

I really hope that GN’R do jump on and promote this and promote this properly.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yes. I don't care what the age of the songs are, they're an evolution of the sound of the band. 

Just my take, but I don't hear any evolution in Absurd.. It sounds like it could have been on Chinese Democracy which came out 15 years ago.. The soundchecks from Hard School that I heard just sound like a typical hard rock song.. Even with some 80's Guns flavor.. Didn't sound like they were re-inventing the wheel there either.. Not that I personally expect or want them too.. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Huge Slash fan.. That is a part of the reason why I can't buy into this recording and "writing" process.. 

I mean I agree with you, but at the same time I’m enjoying this as better than nothing. And nothing is Axl’s MO.  We’re getting a Slash album soon and GNR is actually releasing some “new” stuff. Hopefully it’s a sign of more to come and hopefully that stuff will include some new Slash ideas that Axl builds off of. If nothing else, things are at least  moving in a much better direction than they have been. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Huge Slash fan.. That is a part of why I can't buy into this recording and "writing" process.. 

As far as I could see you still haven't actually commented on the actual song, instead you're rambling on about the way it was made and its historic background, lol. It's a recording made for listening, not studying like some WW2 historian.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wouldn't it technically just be a continuation of the CD era, and not so much an evolution? A full album could be a different story, but... there's a clear evolution from AFD - UYI - CD, and CD2 songs featuring Slash and Duff is far less of an 'evolution' than what they've done before, IMO.

I would even throw LIES in there.. Not the LLAS side, but the Acoustic Side was nothing like Appetite.. I personally thought they wrote some of the best rock music of all time and wouldn't care if they closed the book with another mostly old school sounding album.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just my take, but I don't hear any evolution in Absurd.. It sounds like it could have been on Chinese Democracy which came out 15 years ago.. The soundchecks from Hard School that I heard just sound like a typical hard rock song.. Even with some 80's Guns flavor.. Didn't sound like they were re-inventing the wheel there either.. Not that I personally expect or want them too.. 

That's the great thing about music; it's all subject to personal taste. 

• Like 1

Really cool hearing promotion for this new single in the form of snippets this morning on the radio while driving in the car. Triple M here in Brisbane (Australia) are building it up and saying they are excited to be playing the new song in a few hours at 11:30am. Triple M is a big radio station around Australia. I’m thinking this is all leading up to the bigger picture. Who knows? I don’t remember Absurd receiving similar attention here when it dropped.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Personally, I'm glad GN'R aren't putting out SCOM & PC clones. They already did that and we already own those songs. There's plenty of artists out there who just make music they figure their fans will eat it because it's more of the same. For all of the problems I have with GN'Rs inability to release music, I'm sure glad the songs aren't just lazy clones of their past glory when they do. 

Yes. Axl still holding true to his few infamous 'bury appetite,' statements. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't know about Absurd because I woke up when it came out already:P so I cant really tell if it came out 6 am my time, or midnight. But I've said earlier I've never seen music drop in the middle of my day instead of midnight, which is how I've seen every single music drop happen since getting Spotify in 2016. And now it happened with HS just as usual.

I was at the MetLife show when Axl did mention it was going to be 12am release of Absurd. 

50 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

As far as I could see you still haven't actually commented on the actual song, instead you're rambling on about the way it was made and its historic background, lol. It's a recording made for listening, not studying like some WW2 historian.

Look buddy.. I just asked what they recording process sounded like and made a couple replies to quotes.  I don't fucking talk shit to or judge anyone on here for what they like or don't like. Don't be offended that I am not excited about hearing the song.. You don't have to be be an asshole about it. 

I haven't commented, because I haven't heard it yet.. After Absurd I have no desire to seek it out.. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would even throw LIES in there.. Not the LLAS side, but the Acoustic Side was nothing like Appetite.. I personally thought they wrote some of the best rock music of all time and wouldn't care if they closed the book with another mostly old school sounding album.. 

LIES and even Oh My God showed the band really doing something new, I didn't bother to list them because they weren't full albums but really the band had always been evolving... until now.

That said, I've listened to Hard Skool a bunch of times now and I like it for what it is. It's nowhere close to the best song they've released but it's good, has some catchy melodies, some nice Slash licks, and as long as Axl doesn't butcher it, it seems like it'll be an awesome live song. They're never gonna top the stuff they did in the 80s-90s, and that's fine. I expect most, if not all new material will be cut and pasted together using old tracks with new Slash and Duff parts, and I'd be fine with a full album of songs like Hard Skool... I just wish they'd figure out how to get a good drum sound.

• Like 1