Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Just now, bumfarce said:

As big a fan as they come, which is why I don't enjoy anything about them at this point. They have NOTHING in common with the band I fell in love with. As unfeeling as it gets. 

The band you fell in love with died like 25 years ago... You can't listen to Hard Skool and dig Axl, Slash, and Duff all killing it on a solid rock song? Might want to drop those expectations. Put on the last track from UYI II "My World", then let Hard Skool play right after. One of those songs sounds like GNR, no matter when Hard Skool was conceived.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bumfarce said:

As big a fan as they come, which is why I don't enjoy anything about them at this point. They have NOTHING in common with the band I fell in love with. As unfeeling as it gets. 

Well at least it's not like there's not other bands to fall in love with

Edited by moreblack
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

The demo was a lot more emotional, some really great guitar work. I was disappointed on first listen of the new version, but it's grown on me. And to be fair, we were never supposed to hear that demo.

I definitely agree. The demo definitely focused more on the lyrics of the song based on the tempo, but I think that was the point back when it was originally recorded and Axl was the only focal point 20+ years ago.

1 minute ago, Ak1nney said:

The band you fell in love with died like 25 years ago... You can't listen to Hard Skool and dig Axl, Slash, and Duff all killing it on a solid rock song? Might want to drop those expectations. Put on the last track from UYI II "My World", then let Hard Skool play right after. One of those songs sounds like GNR, no matter when Hard Skool was conceived.

It is not, to my ears, anything close to a solid rock song. It is a doctored mess. I can hear every edit, and that is the last thing Rock n' Roll needs at the moment. I'll go put on Raw Power to clear my fucking head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Maybe it died 30 years ago. 

1990 - Life Support when Adler was fired and they lost their groove in the drums. 
1991 - The plug was pulled when Izzy quit. They lost an important part of their songwriting magic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bumfarce said:

It is not, to my ears, anything close to a solid rock song. It is a doctored mess. I can hear every edit, and that is the last thing Rock n' Roll needs at the moment. I'll go put on Raw Power to clear my fucking head.

Honestly, I hear you on this. I think a lot of people are just so excited that GN'R released something for once that they're initially shocked someone doesn't like it. 

My thing is different strokes for different folks. There's no way everyone is gonna love it and I totally get where you're coming from on it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cruel Intentions said:

I definitely agree. The demo definitely focused more on the lyrics of the song based on the tempo, but I think that was the point back when it was originally recorded and Axl was the only focal point 20+ years ago.

yeah I called it and hit option #1 and then just hung up. It's free so you don't get billed but I didn't have the guts to move forward 

3 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Maybe it died 30 years ago. 

1990 - Life Support when Adler was fired and they lost their groove in the drums. 
1991 - The plug was pulled when Izzy quit. They lost an important part of their songwriting magic. 

I've never thought that Izzy contributed as much musically as most think. I mean, I'm very, very aware of the credits, and the stories of how the tunes came together, but I think more importantly, his leaving severed the brotherhood and introduced a fragility that has never not been felt since. A hypersensitive, loyal guy like Axl can't have his childhood pal walk out on him like that and get on swimmingly.

Edited by bumfarce
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nambis said:

What's the significance of the number 1-800-346-7447?  I phoned it and it appears to be a phone sex chat line, but googling it turns up absolutely no information.  Weird....

If you phone it, it asks for a member ship number.  If you don't have one, it tells you to phone 1-800-800-3000, which just says the same thing.  So, I don't think this is a real sex chat line, it's a GNR phone number... promotion starts now!

2 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

yeah I called it and hit option #1 and then just hung up. It's free so you don't get billed but I didn't have the guts to move forward 

It tells you to phone 1-800-800-3000.  When you phone that number, it says the same thing.  So it goes nowhere.  It's not a real sex chat line.  It's a GNR thing...  Interesting.

This track has confirmed for me that the combination of Axl and Slash is so, so much more than the individual parts. 

The production and style is quite grating though. Not sure I could take an entire album of that processed, edited and pieced together wall of noise and vocals. 

A mediocre deep cut like Garden of Eden rocks way more without even trying

Edited by LA_0013
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bumfarce said:

I've never thought that Izzy contributed as much musically as most think. I mean, I'm very, very aware of the credits, and the stories of how the tunes came together, but I think more importantly, his leaving severed the brotherhood and introduced a fragility that has never not been felt since. A hypersensitive, loyal guy like Axl can't have his childhood pal walk out on him like that and get on swimmingly.

The way Duff & Slash have described it, Izzy was the guy who would create the early sketches of songs and the other guys would build on those sketches to turn them into real songs. Ever since he left, it sure seems like they have a hard time creating new music without him.