Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

3 minutes ago, Cruel Intentions said:

I definitely agree. The demo definitely focused more on the lyrics of the song based on the tempo, but I think that was the point back when it was originally recorded and Axl was the only focal point 20+ years ago.

yeah I called it and hit option #1 and then just hung up. It's free so you don't get billed but I didn't have the guts to move forward 

3 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Maybe it died 30 years ago. 

1990 - Life Support when Adler was fired and they lost their groove in the drums. 
1991 - The plug was pulled when Izzy quit. They lost an important part of their songwriting magic. 

I've never thought that Izzy contributed as much musically as most think. I mean, I'm very, very aware of the credits, and the stories of how the tunes came together, but I think more importantly, his leaving severed the brotherhood and introduced a fragility that has never not been felt since. A hypersensitive, loyal guy like Axl can't have his childhood pal walk out on him like that and get on swimmingly.

Edited by bumfarce
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nambis said:

What's the significance of the number 1-800-346-7447?  I phoned it and it appears to be a phone sex chat line, but googling it turns up absolutely no information.  Weird....

If you phone it, it asks for a member ship number.  If you don't have one, it tells you to phone 1-800-800-3000, which just says the same thing.  So, I don't think this is a real sex chat line, it's a GNR phone number... promotion starts now!

2 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

yeah I called it and hit option #1 and then just hung up. It's free so you don't get billed but I didn't have the guts to move forward 

It tells you to phone 1-800-800-3000.  When you phone that number, it says the same thing.  So it goes nowhere.  It's not a real sex chat line.  It's a GNR thing...  Interesting.

This track has confirmed for me that the combination of Axl and Slash is so, so much more than the individual parts. 

The production and style is quite grating though. Not sure I could take an entire album of that processed, edited and pieced together wall of noise and vocals. 

A mediocre deep cut like Garden of Eden rocks way more without even trying

Edited by LA_0013
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ak1nney said:

Dude, you just lost all credibility with that. Might want to go troll another forum.

Must be a dedicated troll. with the bicep tattoo and all. Izzy was more important spiritually than musically in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, bumfarce said:

I've never thought that Izzy contributed as much musically as most think. I mean, I'm very, very aware of the credits, and the stories of how the tunes came together, but I think more importantly, his leaving severed the brotherhood and introduced a fragility that has never not been felt since. A hypersensitive, loyal guy like Axl can't have his childhood pal walk out on him like that and get on swimmingly.

The way Duff & Slash have described it, Izzy was the guy who would create the early sketches of songs and the other guys would build on those sketches to turn them into real songs. Ever since he left, it sure seems like they have a hard time creating new music without him. 

I saw every North American tour nu-Guns did. Have hung with Bumble and Tommy many a time, I was a very earnest supporter of Axl's vision. This is ridiculous what he's doing at this point. The bastardization is too fucking painful. He should've kept all that stuff very separate and found the nerve to compose with the boys.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I don't mind the bell. It's a little tongue in cheek which shows the band, and I mean the song has "Skool" in the title. They don't seem to be trying to be overly serious which is nice. It's fun and will be a funny thing live.

Yeah, I’m just excited there’s an actual new song like this and I really do like it as a kickass rocker with a cool chorus. There’s a little gnawing feeling like the title and imagery is quite cringey (especially for someone like Axl who is very close to 60) but hopefully it’s meant as a joke and people take it that way. I’d prefer less jokey stuff like this and Absurd but I’ll take what we get at this juncture.

4 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The way Duff & Slash have described it, Izzy was the guy who would create the early sketches of songs and the other guys would build on those sketches to turn them into real songs. Ever since he left, it sure seems like they have a hard time creating new music without him. 

I know all of this. I know all of Izzy's solo material. I know an Izzy song when I hear one. "Seems to Me" by him is one of my favorite songs of all time.

After back to back repeated listens and trying to get excited 

I like duffs bass intro thing

but it’s just same ol tired slash wankery on a 20 year old song that was ready 20 years ago and better.

but until these guys get in a room and want to actually inspire each other again I guess this is as good as we get

silkworms was best 2001 rio

hard skool was better put out 20 years ago

i like it only because my old iPod and iTunes don’t communicate and I have no way to get the village demos on my phone 

otherwise wasted a night hoping like a normal  band they’d play their new single 

these guys are morons 

but I love them and that’s on me

hard school lessons over and over lol

• Like 1

Finally got to listen to it a couple times. It's not bad...but it isn't great either, maybe it will grow on me some. It has a catchy chorus,  I dig the bass intro to it and Slash's slide solo is real nice. But it doesn't move the needle for some reason. 

I am glad they put it out though, I mean fucking hell after going on over 5 years since they reunited the fact we've gotten 2 songs out of them this calender year feels like a monumental Win, even if its largely re-worked, pieced together songs that are 20 years old.