Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Just now, Chris 55 said:

I am curious as to where these song releases will lead. They've been once a month now correct? 

It will lead to more Chinese era songs with sprinklings of Duff and Slash every now and again. I'm sorry. I'm just a little pissed about the whole damn thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bumfarce said:

On those tracks you are hearing an actual band. This is fragments of different bands over a large span of time. Shotgun Blues pisses all over this fucking tune any way you slice it.

I couldn't express how much more I like Hard Skool over Shotgun Blues. See, I couldn't.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bumfarce said:

It will lead to more Chinese era songs with sprinklings of Duff and Slash every now and again. I'm sorry. I'm just a little pissed about the whole damn thing.

I understand. You want more organic, written by the present band than sort of "touched" up old leaks. Now, had you not heard those leaks, how would you feel about the songs? 

It's already starting here. The merciless, relentless comparing. With stuff from an era 30 years ago, both musically and historically. I mean, I get it, but it's not a reasonable approach, leading to happy conclusions. You might as well start comparing it to Appetite. Just pointless. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chris 55 said:

I understand. You want more organic, written by the present band than sort of "touched" up old leaks. Now, had you not heard those leaks, how would you feel about the songs? 

Don't even bother. Dude is trolling and it's annoying as shit. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chris 55 said:

I wonder about this myself. I cannot say. I suspect that I would feel rather than know it was a heartless, unfeeling process that lead to the creation. I remember in '02 hearing the snippets of "The Blues" and others in the radio ads, thinking to myself that the album was going to please my heart and mind to no end, and it did neither. Was a strange feeling when I heard it at last. 

2 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Don't even bother. Dude is trolling and it's annoying as shit. 

Am I trolling tough guy? Would you cancel my opinion if you were moderator, because my opinion differs from yours? Too many like ya at present.

Slash's tone is absolutely killer on this one. What do you fellow gear nerds think, Guitar directly into the recently refurbished SIlver Jubilee? Greenbacks or V30?

Edited by rocco

Having had a night to sleep on it, here are my thoughts on the song:

I have always loved Jackie Chan/Checkmate/Hard School/Hard Skool. I loved the 15 second clip that surfaced years ago even if it was only a bit form the verse. That catchy riff behind just screamed classic GN'R to me. I liked the demo from the Village sessions, with the fantastic chorus and Axl vocals, and I love this version with its punchy attitude.

What I particularly like about this version is that it is more in your face than the demo. Short and sweet. A good rocker. Head banger. I also like that they have extended the very last chorus. Sounds better that way. And adding Slash's leads make it more GN'R sounding. reminds me of Shadow of Your Love and those early rockers. I also absolutely love the drums after Axl's scream when the breakdown ends - that quick double thud or whatever it is.

What I liked about the Village demo in comparison is primarily Josh's drums that drove the song. I really miss his drums. I always miss Josh's drums. I also liked the melodic guitar in the breakdown (Robin) and prefer them over Slash's solo and slide guitar.

I think I like the released version more than the demo, but it is a bit too soon to say. Right now novelty is competing with affection, and that's not a fair fight. I will have to give it a few days.

Regardless, I absolutely love both versions! The song definitely gets onto my top-20 of GN'R songs.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It's already starting here. The merciless, relentless comparing. With stuff from an era 30 years ago, both musically and historically. I mean, I get it, but it's not a reasonable approach, leading to happy conclusions. You might as well start comparing it to Appetite. Just pointless. 

I, for one, am certainly not comparing to Appetite-nor the Illusions for that matter. Beyond a fool's errand that would be. I am looking for aural camaraderie from these guys. I wish wholeheartedly that they gutted it out, got together and tried their damndest to making something in the present. They already pissed away decades, the least they could do is attempt it. Maybe they did-only them and those close know. 

Slash's tone is indeed killer on these.  I was just listening to GNR's version of Sympathy and TSI? today and Absurd and HS from a Slash point of view would tone-wise fit perfectly on those.  It is cool to have him back, sometimes especially during GNR's unproductive times we can take that for granted

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cory Trevor said:

I hear #34/jcm with more bottom end than usual?

True, it has that "spankiness" that's more 800 than Jube. That's even cooler! I wonder who built the #34 he uses nowadays as I don't think he still has the exact same one from UYI, or does he?

1 minute ago, bumfarce said:

I, for one, am certainly not comparing to Appetite-nor the Illusions for that matter. Beyond a fool's errand that would be. I am looking for aural camaraderie from these guys. I wish wholeheartedly that they gutted it out, got together and tried their damndest to making something in the present. They already pissed away decades, the least they could do is attempt it. Maybe they did-only them and those close know. 

Aural camaraderie? There hasn't been anything like that since Lies. Axl and Slash didn't work together for UYI, they wouldn't even be in the studio together. Song suggestions were brought in on tape by Izzy and then Slash and Axl added their parts separately, or Slash and Axl came in with their own songs and got the others to add to them. You are demanding something that was gone almost 35 years ago. Let go of it and your silly expectations and demands. This is as good as it gets.

• Thanks 1

Axl was, is, and always will be, my guy out of the bunch, but this fact only makes me more aware of his faults. The guy should not be a band-leader. For years I thought it would turn out that he would prove to be such, but it's clear that he isn't. It's mismanagement from within. 

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to hear the official version and what a banger it is! :headbang:

Shouldn't compare this and demo version but going to do it anyway. Demo version is great and all but I definitely prefer this version over demo version simply because the GNR feeling is much stronger in this version and that's the thing I'm craving from current lineup. Though I do still see the reasons why some might like more demo version style more. Hopefully we'll hear a lot more! 

• Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Aural camaraderie? There hasn't been anything like that since Lies. Axl and Slash didn't work together for UYI, they wouldn't even be in the studio together. Song suggestions were brought in on tape by Izzy and then Slash and Axl added their parts separately, or Slash and Axl came in with their own songs and got the others to add to them. You are demanding something that was gone almost 35 years ago. Let go of it and your silly expectations and demands. This is as good as it gets.

Did I say personal camaraderie or aural? Go back and read again, my friend. You can be the worst of friends, and it can sound nothing like it when it hits tape. If you know your music history, I won't need to give you examples. And , yes; this is as good as it gets, given the constitution of the band-but it's not anywhere near as good as it should be. Just like with those closest to me, I am not going to lie and tell them that they've because they think they've done their best, that they have. I love them too dearly for that.