Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

7 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

So how much more popular will this song be than Absurd? I think it’s taken about a month and a half for Absurd to reach 2 million views on YouTube. That had the advantage of being the proverbial first wad this band shot as it comes to a “new” song, but how do you predict this will do in comparison? 

I'm not too sure, but it at least has a shot at being played on the radio because the lyrics are nowhere near as vile as Absurd's :lol:

• Like 1

I think they'd be surprised at the positive reception this song would get if they actually promote it and push it on radio. I know they sort of have a "we don't give a shit" vibe with promotion and reactions, but they really should promote this. 

Also, does anyone else like this a lot more than Shadow of Your Love? I could never get into that track for some reason.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 4

So I finally had the chance to listen to this on mono (as I’m 75% deaf) and I think overall it’s great. The middle section starts good but there are 15 seconds or so there that aren’t quite right. If that bit wasn’t there, I’d almost put it there with YCBM. Mostly just glad for new material.

• Like 1

I’ve steered clear of all leaks and what not so hearing this for the first time. It’s ok. There’s a groove been missing from the Guns material post illusions. It all sounds very produced. 

I’m glad it’s out, it’s better than absurd but...... 

The drums at the very start sound like the cutoff/end of a different track, I wonder if an EP is coming is this the end of some other song? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

So how much more popular will this song be than Absurd? I think it’s taken about a month and a half for Absurd to reach 2 million views on YouTube. That had the advantage of being the proverbial first wad this band shot as it comes to a “new” song, but how do you predict this will do in comparison? 

Sadly I think ‘Absurd’ may have put a lot of the casual fans off. Why on Earth they released that first I will never know. Literally no one I know likes it (in real life, not on this forum) and it left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths. Hopefully those same people will give ‘Hard Skool’ a chance though because it definitely has more of an instant appeal.

17 minutes ago, ferma said:

So I finally had the chance to listen to this on mono (as I’m 75% deaf) and I think overall it’s great. The middle section starts good but there are 15 seconds or so there that aren’t quite right. If that bit wasn’t there, I’d almost put it there with YCBM. Mostly just glad for new material.

Yeah I agree. The breakdown part is cool but it seems like there should be a vocal part or additional lyrics somewhere there. Unfortunately that seems too much to ask these days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah I agree. The breakdown part is cool but it seems like there should be a vocal part or additional lyrics somewhere there. Unfortunately that seems too much to ask these days. 

Yeah, it definitely feels incomplete vocally. When I first heard the demo I was convinced that Axl had yet to write the middle eight part. I like Slash's parts, but it does feel a little underwritten, although not as obviously so as Absurd. 

• Like 1

It is not identical to Bucket's tapping on the demo, so surely it can't be Bucket unless they got him into the studio now to lay down another track for the song :lol:

It is most likely Richard or Slash. I hope it is Richard, though. 

_________

Imagine if the band had ABSUЯDified Hard Skool? Just repeated the first verse three times and replaced the chorus with Axl yelling out HARD SKOOL! now and then?

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

So this bit was in the Billboard article about the song:

For a band with a reputation of keeping their fans waiting, GN’R is in a groove. “Hard Skool” is their second release in as many months, following the release of "Absurd," also a revamp of an unreleased song from the Chinese Democracy era.

On the latest record, Rose is listed as co-producer alongside Chinese Democracy co-producer Caram Costanzo. Seven co-writers worked on the release, just the second since the return of original members Slash and Duff McKagan in 2016 for the group's long-running Not in This Lifetime trek.

Not sure where they’re getting the 7 co-writers info unless they’re just counting all the current band members?

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 1

Just now, Martin Riggs said:

So this bit was in the Billboard article about the song:

For a band with a reputation of keeping their fans waiting, GN’R is in a groove. “Hard Skool” is their second release in as many months, following the release of "Absurd," also a revamp of an unreleased song from the Chinese Democracy era.

On the latest record, Rose is listed as co-producer alongside Chinese Democracy co-producer Caram Costanzo. Seven co-writers worked on the release, just the second since the return of original members Slash and Duff McKagan in 2016 for the group's long-running Not in This Lifetime trek.

who are the seven co-writers and where was that info published?

1 hour ago, bumfarce said:

Am I trolling tough guy? Would you cancel my opinion if you were moderator, because my opinion differs from yours? Too many like ya at present.

You've made your opinion abundantly clear. You're completely entitled to have an opinion and no one is faulting you for that. But when you spam it over and over and over and over and over again it just becomes shitposting.

• Thanks 1