Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

14 hours ago, Pele said:

What do you think is more likely?

That he used 99 vocals, and also 99 cut'n'pastes from another demo, and then he recorded 4 lines two decades later - or they just used existing studio takes?

what's the deal with 99 vocals? 

• Haha 1

An imperfect comparison but a reunited Abba released a couple new songs a weeks ago to promote some sort of new album that’s coming out in November. One of them has 22 million YouTube views and the other has 10 million views. The Iron Maiden single has 13 million views. Absurd has 2 million views. Hopefully this song has a more respectable showing. 

I am surprised by the absence of push from Management/GNR on this: Just a facebook post: Hardskool is out now!

They have to say something more at some point, right? 

A lyric video would have helped!
I guess it will slowly be picked up by news and music sites and generate hits but if they are not saying something or revealing a press release i am not sure this track will get more views than Absurd.

Lets hope something in the works..

It could be the last album they are owing the label and just have to clean up the closet with the old songs with no major promotion and they are coming back with an all new album with new songs next summer - wishful thinking!? ;)

Leftover album this november

New album next summer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

I am surprised by the absence of push from Management/GNR on this: Just a facebook post: Hardskool is out now!

They have to say something more at some point, right? 

A lyric video would have helped!
I guess it will slowly be picked up by news and music sites and generate hits but if they are not saying something or revealing a press release i am not sure this track will get more views than Absurd.

Lets hope something in the works..

It could be the last album they are owing the label and just have to clean up the closet with the old songs with no major promotion and they are coming back with an all new album with new songs next summer - wishful thinking!? ;)

Leftover album this november

New album next summer

Yeah me too. The lack of push is totally strange. You'd think they'd be going all out on this. 

• Like 1

My impressions on this new Hard Skool:

-I can't help but noticing Melissa's touch, she's using the synth (sounds like organ), I don't like it.

-Axl's vocals are buried way too much in the mix. That and the echo on his voice in some parts is plain weird. It's as if they're ashamed of the lead singer, I don't get it.

I dislike the way Axl's vocals were used, and it's disappointing Axl didn't feel confident to re-record this. I understand why I guess... it's a shame Axl didn't use his wonderful

voice more when he had it.

-Love Duff's little intro, it's simple, but imo it fits better than the leak's intro

-The new tempo is better

-I absolutely love Slash's solo on this, there's a little "Dream Theater's Octavarium" vibe.

Slash made the song catchier & more fun. Stiiiill... I miss Buckethead's part at the end of the song.

But overall, it feels weird. It doesn't feel sincere because of the way Axl's vocals are used in this & mixed. It definitely feels Frankenstein, more so than any track from Chinese Democracy (even the unfinished leaks). Doesn't feel organic. Slash's work makes up for it but it doesn't completely click. The mix should be cleaner and get rid of Melissa, really. And obviously use Axl's vocals properly.

I also feel the original melody in the leak fit Axl's voice better, but it may be because of the mix, or because I'm used to the leak more. However the leak felt like a song from the 2000's, and this feels like it's from the early 90's. I like both.

I just feel it should have been mixed way better than this, there's potential with this song.

Anyway, I'm still gonna enjoy it, since we won't get this live, or barely : p 

P.S. : I like the locker's design, but it should have been done better, it looks amateur.

• Like 2

As an old and jaded Guns N' Roses fan, I feel rather underwhelmed. The chorus is good, but other than that the song feels incomplete and lacking energy. Of course I don't expect 50+ years old multimillionaires having the hunger and drive of their younger selves, but these "new" songs seem too patterned, like if I drag in bits and bobs on the grid in FL Studio. They lack organic flow and the little flourishes and trills that made Guns N' Roses different from their peers back in their heyday. Compare Hard Skools middle eight to Rocket Queen's and it's quite drastic. I see people saying that this would fit right in on either UYI. To that I have to say, that I guess I've listened different records the last 30 years.

Edited by Tiedemies

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

So this bit was in the Billboard article about the song:

For a band with a reputation of keeping their fans waiting, GN’R is in a groove. “Hard Skool” is their second release in as many months, following the release of "Absurd," also a revamp of an unreleased song from the Chinese Democracy era.

On the latest record, Rose is listed as co-producer alongside Chinese Democracy co-producer Caram Costanzo. Seven co-writers worked on the release, just the second since the return of original members Slash and Duff McKagan in 2016 for the group's long-running Not in This Lifetime trek.

Not sure where they’re getting the 7 co-writers info unless they’re just counting all the current band members?

Does in any place has been posted the credits?

3 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

It pains me to say it but Axl is the weakest link on both Absurd and Hard Skool.

Everyone I’ve sent HS has talked about how weak the verse vocals are. Strange given he’s perceived as the so-called perfectionist vs the more “rough and ready” Slash. 

I would have preferred it if the entire song was sung in the raspy chorus vocals too. Maybe he kept it this way as it's easier for him to sing live? I'm just happy to have new music either way. 

This is a really cool song. I always thought that the solo was the weakest part of the original demo, whereas this is really melodic. It's got kind of a Godfather/Beatles vibe to it.

Axl's voice sounds really good as well. It reminds me of his voice in Sympathy for the Devil.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's not true, there's drum sounds on rock records that came out this year that sound much better than this song. This one should like cheap samples plus it's too obvious that the drums have been heavily quantized. Yes I know that most rock/metal nowadays has quantized/mapped drums but it doesn't sound so much like a cheap drum machine, it still sounds like a real drummer. The kick is way too loud imo, to where the rest of the kit (esp cymbals) are too soft. Cowbell needs to stand out a lot more like it does on all the old classic GnR material. There's some weird comping/editing going on with the drums too.

I know a lot of people don't like Elvis' production on SMKC and Alter Bridge but his mixes sound way better than this one. He also did the WVH and upcoming Tremonti albums and those drums (and overall mixes) sound incredible. For a band of GnR's status I would expect better. I guess it's fine if they want to keep Caram around to engineer the sessions but I think they need to get a real producer and mix engineer to work on their stuff. Like the mix on SOYL, that's what this should sound like.

The day Guns N' Roses start taking lessons from the guitar player from Creed is the day I'll stop listening to them.

Im over the moon to be getting a new song, however. It feels cut and pasted and overly sterile. Listen to HS, then listen to Down On The Farm, I know axl has moved on from Mike Clink, but he could produce this way better than Caram, and make it sound like GNR. With DOTF, listen to the drums, then guitar tone, then vocals, and it sounds like a band in the same room. HS appears to have a disconnect between instruments/vocals IMO.  Why does TSI sound better than this, it can't be the budget, they have plenty of money, and technology has increased since then. However, still hyped to be getting new song, however lackluster i feel about it.

Edited by jimisbatman

32 minutes ago, betterman said:

I think the organ i Dizzy but its a nice addition, it not very audible anyway..

I doubt it's Dizzy, Melissa is the one constantly using organs for whatever... I remember noticing this when seeing Guns in 2018, on Sweet Child, Melissa butchers the song with unecessary organs.