Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

5 minutes ago, Axls5thMetatarsel said:

I heard “perhaps” awhile back tho not very clear audio. Was there any other names at which that one was going under?

I get lost in all the leak info which tracks have we still not even heard a leak of 

soul monster? Oklahoma?

Inject an album into my veins what a time to be alive gentlemen 

No other titles for Perhaps are known as of now.

Oklahoma was heard in the Village leaks as an instrumental (Axl said in the forum chats the title was then changed to Berlin).

Soul Monster is assumed to be Me & My Elvis from the Village leaks (instrumental too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just listened to it in the car a few times at full volume from Spotify and JESUS the production on this is a mess. 

It sounds like a rough mix. Since they are licensing out to UMG, are they paying out of pocket and going cheap? 

• Like 1

Just now, guitarpatch said:

It sounds like a rough mix. Since they are licensing out to UMG, are they paying out of pocket and going cheap? 

Then why Absurd sounds much better? I assume they used these messy sounds on purpose. Maybe they thought they suited the song better, for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just listened to it in the car a few times at full volume from Spotify and JESUS the production on this is a mess. 

I agree. There's not enough low end in the first verse and it doesn't sound like there was too much processing done on the vocal track. The song itself is really good but the mix is super inconsistent. 

• Like 2

The chorus reminds me a LOT how I felt the first time I listened to Chinese Democracy on the way home from Best Buy. I remember my heart thumping when Axl started wailing then launched into “It don’t really mattah.” That’s how this “Jackie Chan” chorus always made me feel. It’s just that vintage Axl Rose vocal power.  No one could sing it quite like him, and he just elevates any material he sings on. Call that fanboyism. I don’t give a fuck. There’s a reason GNR have been my favorite band since I first heard “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and “Welcome to the Jungle” in the summer of ‘92. 

• Like 2

I may have the ‘GNR Jersey’ too much under my skin (sorry if the translation is not that good, it’s a Spanish word thing… it means I’m a huge fan and I may not be objective) but I think Hardschool is better than anything released by Bon Jovi of AC/DC in their last 3 records. And Hardschool is not even a top tier gnr song…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

I agree. There's not enough low end in the first verse and it doesn't sound like there was too much processing done on the vocal track. The song itself is really good but the mix is super inconsistent. 

What a bummer. The song IS really good but my God is the production a bummer. 

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

They need mIke Clink to produce.

Ding ding ding. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Sounds like they need Bob Ludwig back, or is this a mixing issue and not mastering? 

Has there been a single song that leaked, got tweaked, and then was officially released where the final cut is better than the leak? I mean shit, they took Brian fucking May off Catcher in the Rye. This band remains a caricature of itself. Do we now believe even more? Maybe Ashba really was better than the other one... #ABSUЯD

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

It is the same.  Someone has overlayed them both together and it's the very same.

It could be straightforward cannibalization of one song for parts. However it could also be that these songs are intended to be on an album and phrases and motifs will repeat throughout the album (like NIN The Fragile, which I assume axl is a big fan of).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

What a bummer. The song IS really good but my God is the production a bummer. 

It really is bad. There's a fuck load of additional unneccessary crap underneath during the middle breakdown and the last chorus. That amount of compression should also be illegal! 

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I take back my slight criticism of how 2008 CD was mixed after hearing Absurd and Hard Skool's production.

At least CD was mastered beautifully, and the levels seemed pretty good, save for the low bass. 

Mastering doesn't set the levels though. To be fair, mixing ChiDem would be a fucking nightmare. But it is compressed to hell as well and it suffers big time. I'm guessing that by compressing the layers they felt they could add more to it. Another example of less being more! 

• Like 1

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Man, I feel stupid almost listening to everyone talking about the mix. Should I be hating this? Idk, I don’t feel like there’s anything wrong with it. I’m not an audiophile perse but I’ve played music in bands for years. :shrugs:

Maybe your ears are shot from playing in bands for years...I'm not being sarcastic.  It happens.

Just now, AxlRoseCDII said:

Man, I feel stupid almost listening to everyone talking about the mix. Should I be hating this? Idk, I don’t feel like there’s anything wrong with it. I’m not an audiophile perse but I’ve played music in bands for years. :shrugs:

No, it's personal choice 100%. If you like the mix, then that's all that really matters. :)