Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

12 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Out of likes, but this is a great post.

I give no fucks that HS has an old vocal take. Why re-record it for the sake of it when it has a perfectly good vocal to begin with? I guess fans want some reassurance that Axl is still a studio singer, but I don't know why the likes of @Pele are so obsessed and convinced that Axl is incapable/unwilling to lay down new vocals. Where did he pull Rock The Rock from? His ass?

I just want to make clear off the back of this post, I have zero problem with Axl using old vocal takes...in fact, I'd honestly prefer it, at this point.  I'd love to hear an album.  My recent comments are directed towards folks who clin(k)g to the notion that there's going to be a new record from scratch.  We all know brothaman Axl lacks the work ethic for that, but, honestly, who cares?

Use the vocal takes from when he was singing during whatever was left of his prime.  Who honestly knows what we'd get now, anyway?

Edited by oneway23

I CANNOT STOP LISTENING!

This was EXACTLY the kind of track that GNR needed. Something less ... pretentious ... easy, catchy, FUN!

GOOD OL'TIMES! 

LISTENING TO ABSURD after this song makes ... way more "sense". They get stronger together. 

Number 3 on the RECORD would be ATLAS, and number 4 Perhaps. => UYI 3 :D 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I just want to make clear off the back of this post, I have zero problem with Axl using old vocal takes...in fact, I'd honestly prefer it, at this point.  I'd love to hear an album.  My recent comments are directed towards folks who clin(k)g to the notion that there's going to be a new record from scratch.  We all know brothaman Axl lacks the work ethic for that, but, honestly, who cares?

Use the vocal takes from when he was singing during whatever was left of his prime.  Who honestly knows what we'd get now, anyway?

For sure. I hear ya. I didn't mean to bring anyone down with my comments on the mix btw. I love the song anyway and I'll be cranking the hell out of it. There's PLENTY of music out there that I love but I don't love the production. This is just one of those songs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Hey man, I bought Oh My God the DAY it was released, as I have with ALL guns releases since 1994 or so. I've been a fan since 92, I don't need any guns n roses advice, I've seen it all, lol.  thanks though. 

You've seen it all - except all the unreleased songs that we've all heard?  Cool.

13 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I wonder if the technology exists to sample his voice from 1986-1994 and create a model that can be used to generate completely new vocals using the samples?

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve not been the most positive GNR fan recently due to things about the band I think should be done better. That being said it’s baffling to see people who complain when there’s nothing happening, and then when there is stuff like new singles being released(which are like hen's fucking teeth with GNR btw) they seem to still be complaining about the songs. Now yes was absurd the best song ever released by GNR ? No it wasn’t but hard skool is certainly a better song and has an old school feel to it and it slash and duff on it and for what it’s worth I like it. And btw repeatedly saying you don’t like the song doesn’t make your opinion any more valid, it makes you repetitive. 

• Like 2

Production sound aside, could anyone seriously argue that Hard Skool couldn't of easily been on the Illusions? I love every song on those albums (except for My World). To me, it sounds like classic gnr. Perhaps not Appetite/lies era gnr, but still old Skool gnr (sorry for my pun).

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

For sure. I hear ya. I didn't mean to bring anyone down with my comments on the mix btw. I love the song anyway and I'll be cranking the hell out of it. There's PLENTY of music out there that I love but I don't love the production. This is just one of those songs. 

Absolutely!  Production on most hard rock/metal albums of the past twenty-plus years leaves a lot to be desired, to be honest.  It can still be enjoyed.  At the same time, I just can't help but poke and prod the people who complain about "complaints."  Anyone who knows me "in real life" knows I'm gonna break down a song like that when I hear it...just can't help it! 

If some see that as somehow "negative" or, "like, bummer bro, just crank it and shut-up!!" and it bothers them, weeeeelllll, tough toodles.  You're on a public forum.  Don't like other opinions, call your family and talk to them about the song instead.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jip said:

Guns is a huge as Zeppelin/Stones so they will keep touring as everyone.They will always have sold out arenas.If we get some new music i will gladly accept it.Simple as that

Eh, WTF you been puffing on!!? GNR's legacy isn't anywhere near that of The Stones or Zep. 

I've criticised the production value on Hard Skool but all in I do actually enjoy the track. I really like the wee flourishes that Slash has applied and I still rate the chorus as being very catchy. 

For what it's worth, GNR are not the only older band to struggle with modern recording techniques.

Maybe my expectations of new music in these days in general are too high, but as if. 2 major rock radio stations in Winnipeg. Didn't play it. To my knowledge, didn't even mention it. Usually they'll at least post on news feeds on Facebook or something, but it's like they don't even know.

Axl's running the radio scene behind the scenes confirmed. 

6 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I wonder if the technology exists to sample his voice from 1986-1994 and create a model that can be used to generate completely new vocals using the samples?

I don't have any "reactions" left, but, this is funny.  I know you're saying this in a joking way, but, sadly, yes, this tech actually exists!

Believe it or not, Mark Hamill voice on the Mandalorian was not his voice!  It's true!  It was AI modeled from existing phonetic sounds, based on pre-existing bits of his old dialogue.

This means that neither his appearance nor his voice was actually him!!  He was on set, however.

2 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I don't have any "reactions" left, but, this is funny.  I know you're saying this in a joking way, but, sadly, yes, this tech actually exists!

Believe it or not, Mark Hamill voice on the Mandalorian was not his voice!  It's true!  It was AI modeled from existing phonetic sounds, based on pre-existing bits of his old dialogue.

This means that neither his appearance nor his voice was actually him!!  He was on set, however.

That was weird as fuck. He did the scenes though. Then he was photoshoped or whatever You want to call it. But he was the actor indeed

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I’m not one of those “you can’t say anything negative” folks, but I’ve read this entire thread now and the handful of people who continually tell us they hate the song are a serious fuckin’ drag. It’s just the incessant complaining, not the criticism, that sucks. 

The stuff being said about the way it’s mixed is likely valid, though it sounds good to my ears. I’m listening through Spotify connect via Denon receiver and Polk 3.1 stereo sound. Or on my Bose quiet comfort 2 cans. I’ll test the car stereo out in a minute when I go for my beer run.

Dude, put Duff “too hard school” higher in the mix  WHAT THE HELL, I can’t even hear it unless I’m wearing headphones.

The stuff being said about Axl not being bothered to record new vocals is also valid. Like, what happened, man? I don’t expect new vocals on the already excellent verses and chorus. But they had to sample “Eye on You” for the bridge. That’s telling. Man’s couldn’t get in the studio to drop some “hey, heys.”

Still, what a time to be a GNR fan. Excuse me while I go crank “Hard Skool.”

It's Guns N' Roses m8

The band with the most miserable fan base

Most just want to listen to another November Rain, SCOM "but new"... 

And I guess with the most experts in production/mixing, record creation, song structure, etc.... and of course Spotify at 268kbps for critical listening opinion judgment.. 😁

• Haha 2