Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I think maybe it was the wrong weekend to release this. The radio seems to be full of 30 years of Nevermind and other music from 1991. That's what my husband is currently dancing to in the kitchen. :lol:

Nirvana and GN'R going head to head just like the old days! And they've both released the same amount of new music in the past 30 years! 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, axl666 said:

It could be straightforward cannibalization of one song for parts. However it could also be that these songs are intended to be on an album and phrases and motifs will repeat throughout the album (like NIN The Fragile, which I assume axl is a big fan of).

Or it could be he didn't want to record more vocals so he's instructed the team to use what they have.

• Haha 1

I really want not to be the person that bashes everything the band does this day... But it's hard for me... It's not agains the band, Team Brazil, Slash, Caram etc.

Like mobsters say "Nothing personal, it's just business"

But personally with exception of Axl's vocal mix there's nothing, absolutely nothing in this version that got improved from the leaked version. Worse, the released version it much more sterile than the leaked version. For me all the potential that has in the leaked was washed up and manipulated over years of tinkering and how many rerecordings.

It's already started bad with the intro and one with the holy grail of GNR sound, Duff's bass... It's completely stock in sound! Duff bass sound was one of GNR signatures and is there just to emulate an It's So Easy type of intro.

The new intro doesn't have any build up as the old one and Slash little licks is embarrassing to say the least. I'm not even close of a Frank basher, I'm the few ones that like him more than Brain, but what this new drum track brings to the song? It was him? It was Brain? I don't know, but these drum track is just also emulate some kind of Old Guns vibe that doesn't improve anything.

Slash it's in the song like he has been live with GNR since 2016... Uninspiring and stock!  And lowest part is in the breakdown after the solo and before the last choruses, there's one single note on the entire thing that I prefer over the demo version.

And the mix it's just flat... Not eq or compression wise... It's flat in the way it's so nice it's not sound like a Rock mix. I'd like to know who mixed it.

To a song that was demoed with a such grand production, this more basic arrangement left the song appearing to have a lot of blank spaces that wasn't fulfilled or even covered at all.

For more that I disliked Absurd with what I believed was bad tempo choices vocally, it's by far more ballsier mix and production and relates more with what GNR is today than this weak attempt to do a "Classic GNR " song

13 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I'd assume the middle section is probably shortened and maybe one of the last choruses left off? Radio is weird. Decisions like that get made, but then they still play the long ass Don't Fear the Reaper jam and Stairway haha.

Wrong my friend. It's chopped up across the whole length of the song. Intro, verse, after chorus guitar licks. All cut down. Mix sounds different too.

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I firmly believe we would not be hearing officially released versions of these songs if those leaks hadn't happened. 

I'm not sure.

I'd firmly believe that to be true, however I think he agreed to drop a couple of 'new' songs as part of the tour deal, so we could have only really gotten Silkworms/Atlas/Perhaps or HardSkool.

13 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Its so great to see the general public reacting extatic for a new GbR output. Didn't have that for CD or absurd

Agreed. Shared “Hard Skool” w/two of my snobbiest music fan friends (i.e. if it’s not “Sgt. Peppers”-era Beatles- it’s trash)- and they both liked it quite a bit. Pro rate that out to the masses- and should be a good sign.

One thing to keep in mind, is how much the music scene has changed since the 90's. When we talk about bands like Guns, their "B" songs would be "hits" in today's climate. That's why bands like Greta Van Fleet even exist, the competition for "old Skool" rock and roll isn't NEARLY as competitive as it was in 90's, let alone before then. Had Greta been a 70's band, they probably wouldn't even get signed. 

So a song that really rocks, getting released today is a pretty big deal (regardless of the band) imo. Which I'm sorry but an Illusion "B side" (which is where I would rank Hard Skool), is GREAT in 2021. 

I'm digging it.

1 minute ago, The-Jungle83 said:

Gawddammit, I have to say - I like this song! I'm sure there are those that'll pick holes in it, whinge about when the song was recorded etc etc etc, but I'm gonna enjoy the song for what it is, as close to a classic era GN'R rocker as we've had in a hell of a long time! :axl92::slash:

Yup

4 minutes ago, vincevenom said:

Guys, can you help me here? Who is playing on the Checkmate leak? I mean, the Guitars/Bass, etc?

Robin, Paul and Bucket on the Guitars, Tommy on the bass, Josh on the drums, Dizzy and Chris on the Keys.