Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I haven't looked at comments on music sites articles that much, but the comments on the band's social media are very positive - almost all comments on Slash's IG are positive. Of course there are some comments (maybe from mygnrforum members? :lol:) trying to rain on the casuals' parade by informing them that it's a leftover from the CD sessions and the vocals are 20 years old :lol:

Yeah, i read comments in FB, is like you said.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bernardo_Seccadio said:

If I had to compare with those tracks, beyond any doubt the only song that stand a chance is Better.

And as a rocker, Hard Skool more appealing to wider audiences.

better is a more complex song. 

The rest of the material had aged very very bad (refering to those songs you mentioned, I still love a lot of stuff on the CD, specially Prostitute).

I just chose those as they were the rock songs, I also think TWAT, Madagascar, This I love and bunch of others are far better songs😄

Commercially yes, Hard Skool will be more popular and appeal to a wider fanbase because it ties in with that old GNR sound. However, I think objectively Better has a much more earworm chorus that would stay with you after a listen, hard Skool is fun but not memorable. 

• Like 1

Not to be negative because I'm stoked GnR is actually releasing music, but I just can't get into this release because I find the original leaked version to be superior in every way ... There's not one part of "Hard Skool" I think was done better than "Hard School" .. I feel the same about "Absurd" & "Silkworms" as well ... Slash & Duff just didn't make this song better or even as good ... 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Haven't gotten as many texts about this song as Absurd but got a few. All big fans

One friend said it rips but using old vocals feels cheep.  He was happy to hear it on the radio today.

My Uncle who is at last nights show just said "Its OK.. better than Absurd I guess"

My cousin also a big fan.. Went to Vegas with me in 2016.. Said he listened to it once and they need to stop with Frankenstein CD songs bullshit..

I still can't get myself to listen to it..

You still haven't listened to it?

I assume you'll have the same issues as many of us - it's a frankenstein song with a subpar mix - but, if nothing else, there's some cool parts from Slash. It feels like the kind of song that's gonna work better live (as long as Axl doesn't completely butcher it.)

It's definitely better than Absurd... not that that's a high bar :lol:

• Like 1

Not bad. Very old GnR sounding (as in 1980's GnR).  Was this song , aka "Jackie Chan", one of the final tracks the original band was working on in 1996 before disbanding? I vaguely remember Duff mentioning "Jackie Chan" as one of the new songs they were working on in a late 90's interview with Howard Stern right before he left the band.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kever20 said:

I wonder which shows they are sourcing the live tracks from. I heard a couple versions of Crazy and they were rough...

The first few shows were rough but Atlantic City had good versions of Crazy... I think there was a pretty good Don't Cry from one of those as well. There's a few performances from this year that would be fine to release as b-sides.

18 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Not bad. Very old GnR sounding (as in 1980's GnR).  Was this song , aka "Jackie Chan", one of the final tracks the original band was working on in 1996 before disbanding? I vaguely remember Duff mentioning "Jackie Chan" as one of the new songs they were working on in a late 90's interview with Howard Stern right before he left the band.

Yes, Duff had mentioned it on Stern in the summer of 1996. Matt has also mentioned it in his unreleased book as a song Axl had at the time.

Also:

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I talked to someone close to Axl and apparently the song was never intended on the soundtrack to a Jackie Chan movie. The working title, Jackie Chan, was chosen simply because Axl was watching a Jackie Chan movie at the time.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

why do you still login every day if you can’t bring yourself to listen to a 3 min song? mind boggling 😂

Why do I have to be excited about this song to log on here? I go see them live every time they come spending $250 - $300 a ticket.  I still am a big fan of their live shows... Still check setlists and still enjoy watching  at least 1 or two videos from every show.. I am always trying to convince people to go see them live. I have been a fan for like 35 years... I listened to Absurd a few times the first day it came out and it was terrible. A CD era song created in the same Frankenstein method just turns me off.. Along with other reasons.. It hasn't even been out a day.. For better or for worse, I will hear it eventually...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Why do I have to be excited about this song to log on here? I go see them live every time they come spending $250 - $300 a ticket.  I still am a big fan of their live shows... Still check setlists and still enjoy watching  at least 1 or two videos from every show.. I am always trying to convince people to go see them live. I have been a fan for like 35 years... I listened to Absurd a few times the first day it came out and it was terrible. A CD era song created in the same Frankenstein method just turns me off.. Along with other reasons.. It hasn't even been out a day.. For better or for worse, I will hear it eventually...

This is an original era GnR track apparently, not a chinese democracy reject. Hard Skool is from those lost 1996 sessions with Duff and Slash. I believe it's one of the final tracks they were working on before Slash quit (which blackstar also confirmed). That's the only reason I even bothered to listen to it. The sound of the song imho harkens back to AFD/Lies era. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is an original era GnR track apparently, not a chinese democracy reject. Hard Skool is from those lost 1996 sessions with Duff and Slash. I believe it's one of the final tracks they were working on before Slash quit (which blackstar also confirmed). That's the only reason I even bothered to listen to it. The sound of the song imho harkens back to AFD/Lies era. 

Not sure how true any of that is but I listened to an instrumental soundcheck and I do agree it had an old school GnR feel to some of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not sure how true any of that is but I listened to an instrumental soundcheck and I do agree it had an old school GnR feel to some of it. 

Right, while there is correlation to the term "Jackie Chan", fans have the uncanny ability to make a small connection and then automatically it is fact lol.  It is very possible it is a pre-nuGNR track but it is also possible Axl called it Jackie Chan for some weird Axl-inside joke that only he gets and it was unrelated to the potential Jackie Chan film songwriting attempt in '96.  Only time will tell, if a band member discusses its origins

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Fortus mentioned, before Reunion, that some of the Chinese tracks whey were working had initial ideias by old members. Maybe this one of them.

Edited by ChrisMaciel
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There is a press release from the band/label (source: Appetite for Distortion on twitter and GNREvo). According to it, it was written by Axl:

faf4rz10.jpg

Press releases like that are the reason I avoid working as PR hahaha. Almost no information at all. 

If Axl is indeed the sole writer (which means he also wrote the instrumental), we can also assume it could be one of his ideas when he was playing guitar with Duff and Matt. I guess around 1997 or even '96? I know you would have a quote for that, Blackstar. :)

11 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Right, while there is correlation to the term "Jackie Chan", fans have the uncanny ability to make a small connection and then automatically it is fact lol.  It is very possible it is a pre-nuGNR track but it is also possible Axl called it Jackie Chan for some weird Axl-inside joke that only he gets and it was unrelated to the potential Jackie Chan film songwriting attempt in '96.  Only time will tell, if a band member discusses its origins

@SoulMonster has shared some new information earlier in the thread regarding why Axl called it Jackie Chan (I have quoted it a couple of posts above): it wasn't because it was going to be in a Jackie Chan movie, but just because Axl had watched one when he wrote it.

Although this information doesn't clarify when it was written, it seems to refute only the part about it being intended for the movie, so maybe the rest of the assumption about its origin in 1996 is correct.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Press releases like that are the reason I avoid working as PR hahaha. Almost no information at all. 

If Axl is indeed the sole writer (which means he also wrote the instrumental), we can also assume it could be one of his ideas when he was playing guitar with Duff and Matt. I guess around 1997 or even '96? I know you would have a quote for that, Blackstar. :)

Yes, it was in 1996. There are several quotes about it here: :)

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5018-19-december-1994-october-1996-axl-and-slash-fights-slash-quits#20215

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1