Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

2 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

i'm so sick of this "new song discussion". of course it's NEW, as it wasn't released before. 

when november rain was released in 1991, nobody was complaining about "axl startet writing this song ages ago!" 

art in general needs its time. a painting, a song,... it't done when the artist feels right to release it. nobody fucked up michelangelo after painting the sistine chapel over decades.

so... relax people. why can't you just enjoy this GNR rocker?! i for myself don't give a fuck how old this song might be, where it has its origins or who's playing the goddamn drums! i love the GNR sound it has, axls vocals, slashs guitar(solo) and the great bass (intro!)

as always, complaints, complaints, complaints... :-)

was thinking the same!

November Rain came at a time when he was writing and recording prolifically, to an extremely high standard.

HardSkool is a 20 year old demo that he's put out in an attempt to fool the public that they are an active band - because he is creatively finished and seemingly allergic to recording new vocals in a studio,

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

November Rain came at a time when he was writing and recording prolifically, to an extremely high standard.

HardSkool is a 20 year old demo that he's put out in an attempt to fool the public that they are an active band - because he is creatively finished and seemingly allergic to recording new vocals in a studio,

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Axl recent vocals in Rock The Rock are rasp as fuck, so I don’t get the “he can’t hit those notes anymore”

He most certainly can. But it’s saved for studio. No way he could sustain that in a live setting anymore for 3 hours. I think people tend to forget that Guns in their prime didn’t have the same long set lists they have right now. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, Ak1nney said:

Well, I've noticed that just about everyone that doesn't like it is obsessed with the leaks and the previous version. That's a weird reality to have to live in. The leaks shouldn't exist and the band isn't going to go in and re-record every part just because you've already heard it. If Axl had re-recorded vocals, yet they were the exact same melodies and notes, the bitching would be "why record new vocals if they sound the same?!". Say what you want about "opinions", but a chunk of the negativity is just whining. Almost like some of you wished Slash/Duff would have stayed away. Then you would have your leaks and nothing else, because these clearly weren't ever going to see the light of day until now. You knew what you were getting with Hard Skool before it was even released...

I bet if this song was never on a leak and it was promoted as a new song, even with a BS photo of them in the studio, people would be dying over how amazing that is and would know no different. I put the song on, crank it up, and am enjoying the shit out of it. Sucks to be the people that want to nitpick that 20 fucking year old drums aren't on a track, while bashing great 20 year old vocal takes because of their age. That doesn't make sense. Can't have it both ways. 

perfect words.

Leaks should never fall into the hands of fans. It's just a scam to me- I think it is very unfair to the  band (despite the many mistakes they made). I do not understand what some  fans expect - the second Afd will not happen again, YUI are too gentle for some, SI-  covers, CHD- suck: So what the f*** people expect??

Edited by Politania

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I wonder if that's the release Beta was refering to when she said Absurd will be on the CD.

I hope not.

Of course it was.

You don't honestly believe they'll release something else in the foreseeable?

I believe 'plans changed'.

They possibly thought they could do an EP with some additional covers, but Rose refused the work so they've just patched this crap EP together.

The terrible fake tracklist we were given yesterday that we all hated shits all over what we got!

Edited by Pele

47 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know about Ozzy (I tend to not believe it). But I do believe that it's very likely that Axl indeed wrote the the verse and chorus parts.

The publishing, as you say, is another story, so Slash and Duff are expected to have royalty shares on Hard Skool, like they have on Absurd. We'll have to wait until HS is added to the publicly available databases of SESAC and GMR (it won't be on ASCAP, if there are no other writers/royalty recipients except Axl/Slash/Duff).

EDIT: In case you haven't seen it, a while ago I compiled all the information regarding writing credits and how publishing shares have been split for each song in the GnR catalogue. Here:

Fantastic info...thank you very much for your efforts!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, denin said:

The current methodology reminds me of those (rather good) fan-made mash-ups of VR tracks with CD vocals, like Messages from Madagascar. Should've known back then that it was to be the future of GNR.

Oh, those are so GOOD! I listened to that mash-up EP just a month or two ago for the first time in a couple of years and that mash-up of If the World and Slither is :headbang::headbang::headbang: And also the song you mentioned. Just awesome. 

Edited by jekylhyde

5 minutes ago, Politania said:

perfect words. Leaks should never fall into the hands of fans. It's just a scam to me- I think it is very unfair to the  band despite the many mistakes they made

They should.

Otherwise we'd have been tricked into thinking HardSkool was new and rose wasn't creatively and artistically retired.

11 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Pele is putting you on his list of enemies. You're in for it now.

Nah, just someone else to laugh at 5 years from now, when we've had another live album, a load of shitty merchandise and maybe Atlas Shrugged with 99 vocal - and this guy is still thinking he's written/recorded a load of new songs

2 minutes ago, Politania said:

leaks are illegal and fans have no right to them

So?  If you don't listen to the State of Grace leak, you'll never ever hear the song.

And believe it or not, it's pretty good!

39 minutes ago, Dangelus said:

Don’t open your presents early and then complain you knew what you were getting when Christmas morning comes. Just a suggestion.

Imagine not listening to the leaks in the hope that GNR actually record/release new music.

If you haven't heard the leaks, here is a summary of what's left:

• Perhaps - decent piano driven ballad, would be a nice filler track on Illusion
  • Atlas Shrugged - dreadful effort, like Catcher but somehow even worse, sounds dis-jointed and patched together
  • State of Grace - very good song, vocals not 100% finished and parts of the verses are mumbled
  • Nothing - absolutely nothing of note.  Non-descrip generic ballad with mumbled half-asses vocal
  • Eye on You - dreadful, My World/Silkworms level with Axk rapping a few lines, incomplete
  • A ton of instrumentals that he never wrote lyrics or recorded for - except Quick Song where he shouts 'woo-woo' on

Also, there is The General from 2006, which has a similar sound to State of Grace.

40 minutes ago, Politania said:

:facepalm:

You haven't heard the leaks then?

Edited by Pele
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

Imagine not listening to the leaks in the hope that GNR actually record/release new music.

• Perhaps - decent piano driven ballad, would be a nice filler track on Illusion
  • Atlas Shrugged - dreadful effort, like Catcher but somehow even worse, sounds dis-jointed and patched together
  • State of Grace - very good song, vocals not 100% finished and parts of the verses are mumbled
  • Nothing - absolutely nothing of note.  Non-descrip generic ballad with mumbled half-asses vocal
  • Eye on You - dreadful, My World/Silkworms level with Axk rapping a few lines, incomplete
  • A ton of instrumentals that he never wrote lyrics or recorded for - except Quick Song where he shouts 'woo-woo' on

Also, there is The General from 2006, which has a similar sound to State of Grace.

Wasn’t particularly interested at the time, heard Hardskool, Perhaps and Atlas once and then chose not to listen again as they were clearly unfinished and I didn’t want to spoil any reunion release. Hardskool is basically new to me and 99% of all humans so when Axl sang it has no relevance at all.

It’s a bit unfair of you to blame the band for you illegally downloading their music prior to release. Regardless of whether you thought it would be ever released - it’s on you if you chose to hear them before you were meant to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Pele said:

Of course it was.

You don't honestly believe they'll release something else in the foreseeable?

I believe 'plans changed'.

They possibly thought they could do an EP with some additional covers, but Rose refused the work so they've just patched this crap EP together.

The terrible fake tracklist we were given yesterday that we all hated shits all over what we got!

Well, I have an opinion on all this but I'm able to classify it as what it's worth. It's just an opinion and reality can turn out to be totally different. 

I highly doubt you're able to understand that, though.

I hope there'll be a full length record. I'll take it even with 99' vocals. I don’t know if we get one. But what we'll get in February is IMO way better than this fake EP that this insider troll "leaked". That was just a poor attempt of trolling and today it was proven wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pele said:

No, I didn't. Let me tell you a true story of one guy stealing a friend's project (IT industry) and showing it as his. No one believed the first guy and then he was fired from his job. And this is what happens when someone takes / steals things that are not theirs. It does not matter to me whether it is a project in the company or music. it doesn't matter to me whether leaks are only in someone's computer and you don't publish them any longer. leaks are property of the band and should never be made public.

Despite my earlier words, I think they did a nice job of cleaning up Hardschool... the structure of the song is much more fluid and the producers did well to clean up Axl's shoddy/out-of-time-and-breath vocals in the verses. Some knocks: the opening bell is cheesy, and I miss Freese's always-excellent drumming, but a nice re-record IMO. Didn't think I'd like it, but they pulled it off. I hope casual fans can hear this, I do think they'll like it a lot.

Got to say, this is all a lot of fun... it's been a rough 20+ months for most folks and new Guns songs are always a welcome treat in a world of utter shi*t. Cheers, fellow die hards!

• Like 2

My big question is when they are going to incorporate "Hard Skool" into their setlists. And if it's going to replace "Absurd" or not. I didn't initially get tickets, but if I soon start seeing this rocker in setlists, I think I'm going to do every fucking thing I can to get to a show. 

H:headbang:

1 hour ago, Pele said:

I haven't heard the leaks. Don't know where to find them 🤷‍♂️🙁. I enjoy this hot take on them though. I see tons of praise for songs that sound like people are calling "epic" big guns. If there's anything this band needs is less of those and more songs like Hard Skool. A couple epics per album is plenty, I don't need half an album of them.

• Like 2