Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

11 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Wooohoo!!! I am so glad these songs aren't on a LP🥳🥳🥳 

These are perfect for a small ep with a sprinkle of live cuts! Hold the good material for a full album!

I expect both Hard Skool and Absurd to be on the next studio album. And I like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

I expect both Hard Skool and Absurd to be on the next studio album. And I like that.

I misspoke when I said "save the good material" Hard skool isn't bad material. I meant, there's no point blowing their wad with all their best material on a ep. Take some ok music and put it out with live tracks and hold the strongest stuff for the full length. There really is no point releasing the songs on an official ep and then an LP too though.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I can agree here. One time I sort of shit on someone for saying they don’t want to hear new music at a GNR show  I said, “how can you call yourself a fan?” But there are bands like that for me too. If I go see a festival set, gimme the hits. 

I call myself a fan of other bands where I don’t necessarily know their newer material. Alice In Chains, for example. But then there are legacy rock bands where I’m heavily into their material post-salad says. Scorpions would be an example there. Smashing Pumpkins too. They played three or four songs from their newer record live at a festival I was at last week, and some people were lowkey mad. “But why didn’t you play “Perfect’?”

To me, this doesn’t really mean “Absurd” and “Hard Skool” won’t be on an upcoming full-length record. 

Maybe, but it's a headscratcher if they do include these songs. 

I think it's perfect that there's an ep and then a completely separate full-length album with a whole other track-listing. Look, if these songs make it on the full album so be it, but I would be much happier having some separation... but beggars can't be choosers!!

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Sure...and Ozzy wrote the entirety of Bark at the Moon, according to the writing credits on that album.  

Do you believe that?  Me neither

This is about publishing money, plain and simple.

If Axl actually did write the main riffs for the verse and the chorus, he would most likely be entitled to all publishing rights, and any other instrumentation would be considered accompaniment, with any additional credit or compensation handed out at Axl's discretion.

There are many cases, however, where current band members have maybe cut writers out, say, especially if they were a former member.

No way to know, in this case, unless someone seeks compensation,  speaks up, and claims they helped write it.

I don't know about Ozzy (I tend to not believe it). But I do believe that it's very likely that Axl indeed wrote the the verse and chorus parts.

The publishing, as you say, is another story, so Slash and Duff are expected to have royalty shares on Hard Skool, like they have on Absurd. We'll have to wait until HS is added to the publicly available databases of SESAC and GMR (it won't be on ASCAP, if there are no other writers/royalty recipients except Axl/Slash/Duff).

EDIT: In case you haven't seen it, a while ago I compiled all the information regarding writing credits and how publishing shares have been split for each song in the GnR catalogue. Here:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I misspoke when I said "save the good material" Hard skool isn't bad material. I meant, there's no point blowing their wad with all their best material on a ep. Take some ok music and put it out with live tracks and hold the strongest stuff for the full length. There really is no point releasing the songs on an official ep and then an LP too though.

As long as they're looking very seriously in that regard (releasing a full length album)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

From what I've read, most bands write the music first and melodies plus lyrics second. That's also the way I write songs, because I think it's way easier to come up with a melody when you have chords, because you can "find" the notes of the melody from the notes of the chords.

Yeah, that's the common way to go about it for the reason you mentioned. I think Ax wrote most of the the AFD lyrics early on, before the music. With the UYIs, the music came first and the release was postponed by vocal work.

Ax is known to create melodies with a piano and an acoustic. That can be differentiated from "writing the song", even if there's an instrument present. Not unusual, really.

The current methodology reminds me of those (rather good) fan-made mash-ups of VR tracks with CD vocals, like Messages from Madagascar. Should've known back then that it was to be the future of GNR.

Edited by denin

I’m pretty sure this is the CD as well. It’s not all bad, this is a huge step in the right direction and is a good sign of things to come. I’ll remain positive going into 2022 and beyond. I think there’ll be more tunes eventually.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ZODIAC said:

i'm so sick of this "new song discussion". of course it's NEW, as it wasn't released before. 

when november rain was released in 1991, nobody was complaining about "axl startet writing this song ages ago!" 

art in general needs its time. a painting, a song,... it't done when the artist feels right to release it. nobody fucked up michelangelo after painting the sistine chapel over decades.

so... relax people. why can't you just enjoy this GNR rocker?! i for myself don't give a fuck how old this song might be, where it has its origins or who's playing the goddamn drums! i love the GNR sound it has, axls vocals, slashs guitar(solo) and the great bass (intro!)

as always, complaints, complaints, complaints... :-)

was thinking the same!

November Rain came at a time when he was writing and recording prolifically, to an extremely high standard.

HardSkool is a 20 year old demo that he's put out in an attempt to fool the public that they are an active band - because he is creatively finished and seemingly allergic to recording new vocals in a studio,

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

November Rain came at a time when he was writing and recording prolifically, to an extremely high standard.

HardSkool is a 20 year old demo that he's put out in an attempt to fool the public that they are an active band - because he is creatively finished and seemingly allergic to recording new vocals in a studio,

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Axl recent vocals in Rock The Rock are rasp as fuck, so I don’t get the “he can’t hit those notes anymore”

He most certainly can. But it’s saved for studio. No way he could sustain that in a live setting anymore for 3 hours. I think people tend to forget that Guns in their prime didn’t have the same long set lists they have right now. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, Ak1nney said:

Well, I've noticed that just about everyone that doesn't like it is obsessed with the leaks and the previous version. That's a weird reality to have to live in. The leaks shouldn't exist and the band isn't going to go in and re-record every part just because you've already heard it. If Axl had re-recorded vocals, yet they were the exact same melodies and notes, the bitching would be "why record new vocals if they sound the same?!". Say what you want about "opinions", but a chunk of the negativity is just whining. Almost like some of you wished Slash/Duff would have stayed away. Then you would have your leaks and nothing else, because these clearly weren't ever going to see the light of day until now. You knew what you were getting with Hard Skool before it was even released...

I bet if this song was never on a leak and it was promoted as a new song, even with a BS photo of them in the studio, people would be dying over how amazing that is and would know no different. I put the song on, crank it up, and am enjoying the shit out of it. Sucks to be the people that want to nitpick that 20 fucking year old drums aren't on a track, while bashing great 20 year old vocal takes because of their age. That doesn't make sense. Can't have it both ways. 

perfect words.

Leaks should never fall into the hands of fans. It's just a scam to me- I think it is very unfair to the  band (despite the many mistakes they made). I do not understand what some  fans expect - the second Afd will not happen again, YUI are too gentle for some, SI-  covers, CHD- suck: So what the f*** people expect??

Edited by Politania

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I wonder if that's the release Beta was refering to when she said Absurd will be on the CD.

I hope not.

Of course it was.

You don't honestly believe they'll release something else in the foreseeable?

I believe 'plans changed'.

They possibly thought they could do an EP with some additional covers, but Rose refused the work so they've just patched this crap EP together.

The terrible fake tracklist we were given yesterday that we all hated shits all over what we got!

Edited by Pele

47 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know about Ozzy (I tend to not believe it). But I do believe that it's very likely that Axl indeed wrote the the verse and chorus parts.

The publishing, as you say, is another story, so Slash and Duff are expected to have royalty shares on Hard Skool, like they have on Absurd. We'll have to wait until HS is added to the publicly available databases of SESAC and GMR (it won't be on ASCAP, if there are no other writers/royalty recipients except Axl/Slash/Duff).

EDIT: In case you haven't seen it, a while ago I compiled all the information regarding writing credits and how publishing shares have been split for each song in the GnR catalogue. Here:

Fantastic info...thank you very much for your efforts!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, denin said:

The current methodology reminds me of those (rather good) fan-made mash-ups of VR tracks with CD vocals, like Messages from Madagascar. Should've known back then that it was to be the future of GNR.

Oh, those are so GOOD! I listened to that mash-up EP just a month or two ago for the first time in a couple of years and that mash-up of If the World and Slither is :headbang::headbang::headbang: And also the song you mentioned. Just awesome. 

Edited by jekylhyde

5 minutes ago, Politania said:

perfect words. Leaks should never fall into the hands of fans. It's just a scam to me- I think it is very unfair to the  band despite the many mistakes they made

They should.

Otherwise we'd have been tricked into thinking HardSkool was new and rose wasn't creatively and artistically retired.