Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

The more I listen to it, the less I'm into it; the production is terrible to say the least, there's way more negative additions/revisions than positive ones, and the execution for releasing the song is as bad as anyone could expect.

Should sound great live though! :axl:

16 hours ago, Walapino said:

I like Hard Skool, im happy it has been oficially released. Listening to Slash in a new GNR tune is awesome! I have no beef with Axl releasing the best songs from the CD era with Slash and Duff as they bring the GNR sound I love.  I would like to forget the 2001-2014 period really, it mostly sucked! I hope they release CD tracks live with Slash and Duff (Sorry, Madagascar, TWAT, CD, Better). After this a proper new record would be awesome but im not sure it will happen. Oh and Absurd is ok, I was baffled as to why they released it first but whatever.  Keep the tracks coming with 99 Axl vocals or not! 

The communication and trickles of information during that 97-08 period were more substantial than what happens now.

Nowadays it's just silence - they barely speak at all and they clearly run a tighter ship because no one goes flapping their gums about what they're up to.

Im gonna add my two cents here and add that while it can be seen as Lazy on Axl’s behalf to reuse vox in my eyes i dont see why not, if be recorded vocals that were good and ready to be used then why not use them instead of recording new vox that could quite honestly not do the song justice. Trust me i see all your views and welcome them but to me i think the decision was smart, believe me i wanna know how Axl sounds in the studio nowadays too but id rather wait for a brand new song to hear them such things as opposed to possibly downing an old song that was ready.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I have no idea why so many members of this forum doesnt like the old intro. I just thought about it in a live situation. Robin (or Slash) playing the first few chords and the crowds gets more and more excited. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I have no idea why so many members of this forum doesnt like the old intro. I just thought about it in a live situation. Robin (or Slash) playing the first few chords and the crowds gets more and more excited. 

New intro is better imo. Demo intro was too drawn out. I listened to it for the first time this morning since hearing Hard Skool like 250 times and besides the drums and the loudness in the mix of the bit 4tus does at the end, I much prefer Hard Skool.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Classic intro has a much better and more satisfying build until the first verse hits, in my opinion; new intro is kinda awkward with the fake-out intro and schoolbell, but I dig the riff going into the verse.  New version could work better for shows, but the original packs more punch.

• Like 2

I've listened to it quite a few times over the last days and it is a solid track. Like a few people said, the production is weird; the track sounds pretty bad on my speakers but it is much better through headphones. 

While the track has overall improved with each new listen, the breakdown/slow section has done the opposite. Everytime I listen to Hard Skol, my mind keeps on expecting a long solo to kick in and then the song just stops for about 30 seconds. Really hurts its momentum and, IMO, doesn't fit the lyrics or the rest of the track. To be honest, the breakdown reminds me of those parts in concerts when a song is stopped flat so the singer can give a shout out to the different band members.

Just listened to it twice.. It is ok for what it is... Obviously better than Absurd.  I still can't get jacked up about Frankensteining NuGnR demos to make songs.. Just a huge turn off for me.. I can't imagine I will ever feel the need to intentionally listen to it again..

• Like 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

Well, we finally got that sloppy done in a few hours instead of done in a few years mix people were always asking for. Can’t say I’m thrilled with the results, on either of the new tracks. Prefer the demo versions of both despite enjoying many of the Slash and Duff additions.

As with the final production on CD, the bass is too muted and the songs lose some of their punch as a result. Unlike CD, much of which could be described as intricate, these songs sound jumbled, despite having less going on in them than most of those CD tracks.

If Caram is the one responsible for this, I’d be happy to see him replaced. On the other hand, at least stuff is coming out now. And given the choice between getting songs with subpar mixing now or some polished masterpiece in ten years, well, I don’t think there’s a single person here who wouldn’t take the immediate option.

Edited by Flayer

1 hour ago, marksam91 said:

I've listened to it quite a few times over the last days and it is a solid track. Like a few people said, the production is weird; the track sounds pretty bad on my speakers but it is much better through headphones. 

While the track has overall improved with each new listen, the breakdown/slow section has done the opposite. Everytime I listen to Hard Skol, my mind keeps on expecting a long solo to kick in and then the song just stops for about 30 seconds. Really hurts its momentum and, IMO, doesn't fit the lyrics or the rest of the track. To be honest, the breakdown reminds me of those parts in concerts when a song is stopped flat so the singer can give a shout out to the different band members.

Couldn’t agree more on that horrendous 30 second drop. Not sure why they didn’t put in a kick ass Slash solo there. 

I’m still waiting for the production credits. I’m expecting to see:

Produced and mixed by Axl and Fernando using GarageBand on iOS

45 minutes ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Couldn’t agree more on that horrendous 30 second drop. Not sure why they didn’t put in a kick ass Slash solo there. 

Do you mean the slide solo? I honestly think that’s the most interesting Slash part on the track. The rest of his playing sounds uninspired and predictable. It’s not bad but typical Slash noodling, nothing special about it.

11 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

There are production credits - not on Spotify, etc., but in the press release: "produced by Axl Rose and Caram Costanzo".

8 minutes ago, James Bond said:

That's almost an insult to GarageBand.

I honestly think if they’d given me the vocal track and instrumental for Absurd I could have done a better cut and paste job on GarageBand. I’d have lined the vocal track up properly on Verse 1 & 2 for a start!

32 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I honestly think if they’d given me the vocal track and instrumental for Absurd I could have done a better cut and paste job on GarageBand. I’d have lined the vocal track up properly on Verse 1 & 2 for a start!

I don’t subscribe to the opinion that it’s a mistake - It’s just off-kilter and fits the punky ethos the track has. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marksam91 said:

the breakdownsection really breaks the song down. anything else - productionwise - i can forgive, but those 30 seconds (feels longer than kohd live)  after the cool solo-start by slash really macdaddy the fun out of it and kill the dynamics ...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I don’t subscribe to the opinion that it’s a mistake - It’s just off-kilter and fits the punky ethos the track has. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We will probably have to agree to disagree on that one. If it was intentional he would sing it that way live (out of sync) and verse 3 would be in the same place. It just sounds like sloppy mixing to me.

1 minute ago, GNFNRUK said:

We will probably have to agree to disagree on that one. If it was intentional he would sing it that way live (out of sync) and verse 3 would be in the same place. It just sounds like sloppy mixing to me.

No worries mate - it is what it is and who knows really. 👍

1 hour ago, GNFNRUK said:

Do you mean the slide solo? I honestly think that’s the most interesting Slash part on the track. The rest of his playing sounds uninspired and predictable. It’s not bad but typical Slash noodling, nothing special about it.

I think the rest of his playing is totally ok and I'm as well of the opinion that he could have step up a notch with his solo instead of switching to the slide guitar, but seemingly they decided to go the route with the break down