Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

After 2 long years of waiting (15 years if you count the checkmate clip), Axl has finally HardSkool’d me in the ass.

Thank you, Axl… Now Atlas me in the mouth!

🤣 I know you have been desperate for this day to finally arrive!

• Haha 1

Are those the fuckin' "Eye on you" "Ayes" in the break?

I don't like it, it sounds... weak. The solos are great, but the rest sounds like it's played by a very tired band half-assing a session to just get over with it. I like that they removed the unnecessary long-ass intro, but other than that it's not a song I'll come back to... would rather listen to the demo from the lockers, has much better mixing and power imho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

Only so much they can do though when Axl can't be arsed to record new vocals. Everything is going to be on a grid so it's pretty challenging to get it sounding natural.

Is right. Feel like this is as good as we’ll get.

Having said that I do like it - looking forward to hearing it in proper quality when it’s out in the UK. It makes some difference hearing Duff’s bass and Slash’s guitar. 

1 minute ago, FabioRoses said:

looks like it's slowed down, i fuckin' LOVE it. Slash's tone also is much better, classic GN'R sound right there. See FERNANDO, IT'S SO EASY to please us! 

Ah man I want the opposite. I wish they’d speed it up a bit. Parts seem to slightly drag. I wish there was a bit more drive to it like absurd…can’t believe I just said that

1 minute ago, Hidin´Stradlin said:

English is not my native tongue. So, what does "Hard School" means? It is like a hard lesson to learn or something like that?

I'm not sure. In the UK we have a phrase 'the school of hard knocks' which basically means you've had a tough life. This probably isn't what Axl means but it's what I always think of.

• Like 1

I think they will release it sooner than midnight now that it leaked so early.

My thoughts:

At first, I really disliked the mix (though it does sound better in speakers than on my headphones). The guitars are very oddly weak and Axl's voice sounds displaced (and it's not because it was recorded in 1999 lol). Slash's lead sound a lot like what he's been playing in the rehearsals, so no real surprises there. The tone is less gainy than the current live setup, but it sounds better than Absurd IMO. 

The bass adds a lot to the song and really makes it sounds a lot more than old GNR. 

The "ay - ay" part is def not lifted from Eye on You. It's just a similar idea.

Not sure if it's all Slash this time. The left channel sounds a bit more like Richard's tone and there's some incidental licks at the ending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hidin´Stradlin said:

English is not my native tongue. So, what does "Hard School" means? It is like a hard lesson to learn or something like that?

I had never heard the expression before this song but the context of the song suggest Axl is referring to someone who is being stubborn or stuck in the past.  

• Like 3