Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah and I understand they felt I was doing something wrong when I posted Perhaps and HS rehearsal, but fuck, this one got released. There's tons of guitar covers of this song already. 

Right? You search it up and there's hundreds of shitty reaction videos that immediately pop up that play the actual studio track but heaven forbid somebody does a guitar cover of it.

• Sad 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Here is my take.

Intro - Original version murders the new version. The build up and explosion into the first verse is epic.

Rhythm guitars - Original version. They were more aggressive and in your face.

Lead guitar/solos - New version. Neither are stellar imo, but Slash definitely did a better job than that forgettable thing that was in the original version.

Vocals - Obviously they're the same, so a wash. But I will say this: they fit in better with the track they were meant for. You can tell they were copy-and-pasted in the new version and it seems a little strange.

Drums - Original version. More aggressive, better mixed.

Overall, I say the original version was better sans the solo work. Wish Axl had just left it alone and let Slash do his soloing over that instead of what we got, but hey... it's nice to see the song finally come out in any iteration!

Edited by Nintari

On 9/23/2021 at 4:53 PM, jamillos said:

So it's A STORM WE LIVED IN, am I right? 

I don't hear any "s" - as in STORM IS LIFTIN' - remember the ever going feud that used to be here? Hey natives, say something. 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:58 PM, Blackstar said:

I hear the same as in the demo. Now that the vocals are more clear sounding, I think it's maybe "a storm ain't liftin'" , but I definitely don't hear "we lived in".

Now in the live version it did sound like "we live(d) in".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Now in the live version it did sound like "we live(d) in".

I think Axl's enunciation was poor in parts of that first performance. When he sings that specific line, he makes a lifting motion with his right hand, which seems to suggest that the live lyrics remain 'storm is liftin'. He just doesn't enunciate it properly.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

Richard confirmed he’s on the track! Awesome, sounds great with Slash

45 minutes ago, BillConnor_1982 said:

I wonder how much influence Slash and Duff had on this restructuring in the song...because just food for thought, what if Axl and co already re-worked it in the mid 2000's, like when they reworked Absurd for the Bumblefoot demo. 

Very possible 

No one talked about this track really ever. I wonder if it was considered to be a B side or something of the such. Axl never really seemed excited by it which is why I think it took so long for this song to be played live. Never talked about it besides addressing the name. I think since he was trying to be innovative in the CD era he wasn’t too inspired by this track since it sounded like old Guns. These are just my two cents but I get the feeling Axl doesn’t care that much about this song.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

On the ITunes top songs chart it was at #8 on Friday and #1 on the rock list. It’s now at #27 on the main list and #2 on the rock list. 

Today it’s at the same place on the rock list, but now down to #40 on the main list. Which is unique as pretty much all of the top 10 from Friday is still there except GNR which dropped 32 spots. Hopefully it’s getting radio play to  resuscitate it.