Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

36 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've been going to "recently played" sections on rock station websites across the country and can't find Hard Skool being played anywhere. Usually reunited bands get that one comeback single that gets a lot of airplay but that slot may have been taken already by SOYL, which hit #5 on rock radio back in 2018.

My friend said he heard it a few times on the radio around here the day it was released.. I know people here are excited but don't really think there is a huge buzz around the song.. Not everyone is excited about a partilly reworked NuGnR demos..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No one talked about this track really ever. I wonder if it was considered to be a B side or something of the such. Axl never really seemed excited by it which is why I think it took so long for this song to be played live. Never talked about it besides addressing the name. I think since he was trying to be innovative in the CD era he wasn’t too inspired by this track since it sounded like old Guns. These are just my two cents but I get the feeling Axl doesn’t care that much about this song.

Why would release it????

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I've been going to "recently played" sections on rock station websites across the country and can't find Hard Skool being played anywhere. Usually reunited bands get that one comeback single that gets a lot of airplay but that slot may have been taken already by SOYL, which hit #5 on rock radio back in 2018.

Planet Rock in UK has played it only once 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, --DEA-- said:

Yes! A little shorter. 

Cool - I know it’s about 30 seconds shorter but I didn’t think it was a different mix also.  A few folk on here were noting how unhappy they were with the original mix from the Friday release so hopefully it’s a bit better.

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Let's be honest, the average rock fan (not hardcore GnR fan) has no idea when Axl did vocals and when everything came together. They just know it's a new Guns song that has Axl and Slash on it.

If Guns want this to be big, they should do the normal marketing that any other band does, by doing interviews, late night appearances, etc.

Agreed , although I will say that  HS got a lot of new articles written about its release, but virtually all of them right away mention that it’s a leftover track from the CD sessions/era. Many people likely read that and any enthusiasm that might have existed to check out a “new” song dissipates rather quickly. Even if they may have heard/liked CD it still comes across as lazy, stale and uncreative to only release a few “new” songs that weren’t even good enough 13 years ago. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You know what they should do since all of their upcoming dates are canceled? 

Go on Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, SNL and every other show ever. Hell, just have Axl do a quick bit on Weekend Update on SNL. That alone would cause huge buzz. 

Do a live chat on Facebook or Instagram. Have Axl, Slash & Duff all sitting at a table answering only the questions they want to. The chat would be going apeshit anyway so it wouldn't even look like they were avoiding certain questions. 

Pair up with Funny or Die or one of those YouTube channels. Have Axl going into record stores suggesting to regular customers that they buy a GN'R album. 

There's so many ways they could catapult themselves back into the public view. All of them take little to no effort and would be huge. Therefore, they won't do any of them. 

I believe the pandemic would be over before Axl does any of that :shrugs:

But a Hard Skool performance on Kimmel, Fallon and SNL would be a cool exposure for the song/band. I wish Conan's show was still around for that too, would be interesting to see him and Axl after the 2002 asshole song. :lol:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Go on Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, SNL and every other show ever. Hell, just have Axl do a quick bit on Weekend Update on SNL. That alone would cause huge buzz. 

Do a live chat on Facebook or Instagram. Have Axl, Slash & Duff all sitting at a table answering only the questions they want to. The chat would be going apeshit anyway so it wouldn't even look like they were avoiding certain questions. 

Pair up with Funny or Die or one of those YouTube channels. Have Axl going into record stores suggesting to regular customers that they buy a GN'R album. 

There's so many ways they could catapult themselves back into the public view. All of them take little to no effort and would be huge. Therefore, they won't do any of them. 

20 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

I believe the pandemic would be over before Axl does any of that :shrugs:

But a Hard Skool performance on Kimmel, Fallon and SNL would be a cool exposure for the song/band. I wish Conan's show was still around for that too, would be interesting to see him and Axl after the 2002 asshole song. :lol:

That would be great, Slash has done some of those things for SMKC. I would love to see them on SNL after all the pop and rap artists they've had lately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I like it much better than absurd, but i think i still prefer the locker leak.

Yes. The intro building up to the explosive first verse was superior imo. As was the rhythm guitars (far more aggressive) and drums. The vocals on the leak were also mixed better, which shouldn't be surprising.

Overall, the original was just way more aggressive and powerful. Outside of Slash's solos which are good, it sounds sleepy and tired by comparison--like someone robbed it of its energy.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nintari said:

Yes. The intro building up to the explosive first verse was superior imo. As was the rhythm guitars (far more aggressive) and drums. The vocals on the leak were also mixed better, which shouldn't be surprising.

Overall, the original was just way more aggressive and powerful. Outside of Slash's solos which are good, it sounds sleepy and tired by comparison--like someone robbed it of its energy.

Yeah i loved the original intro too, I gotta get round to mashing up a version with it and the new version

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

But why?  GnR is already in the public eye. They are doing huge, successful world tours.  Their hits are already radio rock staples.  Hard Skool isn't going to attract a new fan.  That person you guys think is going to be attracted by a new single would have already been attracted by WTTJ or SCOM 30 minutes earlier when they heard them on the radio.

These are all examples of things bands have to do to get people to notice them. You think Axl and Slash want to spend their time doing live chats when they don't have to?   It's different wit he SMKC because they are a tiny band that HAS to promote.  GnR simply doesn't have to

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Hard Skool isn't going to attract a new fan.  That person you guys think is going to be attracted by a new single would have already been attracted by WTTJ or SCOM 30 minutes earlier when they heard them on the radio.

What are you basing that on?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

What are you basing that on?

I'm just saying anybody who hears a new GnR single has probably heard WTTJ, SCOM, PC, NR, Patience, YCBM, L&LD, KOHD already.

Do you know how hard it would be to for someone to hear a new GnR single and not be aware of at least some of their back catalog?  Most people who hear hard skool or whatever probably have already made up their mind on GnR, of course that isn't every case but the vast majority I would say it is. 

That doesn't mean there is no reason for them to make new music, or release singles or anything like that. I just don't think it's as important for a band like GnR.  They already have more music played on the radio every day than 99.9% of any rock band that has ever existed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

But why?  GnR is already in the public eye. They are doing huge, successful world tours.  Their hits are already radio rock staples.  Hard Skool isn't going to attract a new fan.  That person you guys think is going to be attracted by a new single would have already been attracted by WTTJ or SCOM 30 minutes earlier when they heard them on the radio.

These are all examples of things bands have to do to get people to notice them. You think Axl and Slash want to spend their time doing live chats when they don't have to?   It's different wit he SMKC because they are a tiny band that HAS to promote.  GnR simply doesn't have to

They're not doing "huge successful world tours". They're nearing the end of a tour that saw shows being moved to smaller venues, massive discounts on the shows that did stay in stadiums and none of the shows selling out even with the massive discounts. 

• Like 1