Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They're not doing "huge successful world tours". They're nearing the end of a tour that saw shows being moved to smaller venues, massive discounts on the shows that did stay in stadiums and none of the shows selling out even with the massive discounts. 

It starts to crumble a bit now maybe...they can't do anything really right, always bare minimum...that has got to have an effect sooner or later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LA_0013 said:

In the minority here but Absurd >>>>HS. 

I like both of them, but I was (and still am) more hyped for Absurd. My only gripe with it is the use of same lyrics on the verses, but other than that it is a real banger! It sounds a bit more honest and fun than Hard Skool, like a true experiment and effort to create something different. Hard Skool sounds a bit like Shadow of Your Love or like an AfD b-side.

But on the other hand it has all the elements of a classic hard rocking Guns N' Roses song (sans swinging/groovy drums) and you can't hate that. The solo is pretty cool and emotive, the vocal melodies are catchy, Duff's bass intro... It is a good song.

I guess the main reason why I like Absurd a bit more, is the fact that if the band continues to play new songs live, those songs should, in my opinion, be songs that Axl can sing live without struggling too much and really tear it up.

I mean, I take anything I get, be it vocals from ´99 or whatever, because it really doesn't matter when your listening at home. But as a fan I obviously like to root for this band and I wish they'll be able to wow audiences years to come. And have some creative spark. 

• Like 4

well, my honest review comes here.

what I like: bass line is cool; guitars are kinda good - not stellar but decent; vocal track is the old one, but fine; after a few listens at decent speakers, it grows on me a bit; they got rid of the intro which made the song start too slowly

what I dislike: the final part of the song used to be the grand finale of pure guitar madness, instead of that it now just kinda ends; drums and vocals are mixed bad - vox are not as distinct as I'd like

what I hate: the bridge is completely unneccessary and sucks; drums themselves are the worst thing on this - Freese's old track with drum snare leading to choruses is far superior in building up the track dynamic, while the 2021 track sounds very basic and uninspired

what I get amused by: Eye On You vocals sampled in the bridge

overall - 5/10 (as compared to Absurd which I rate 7/10)

Edited by zombux
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I'm probably in the minority (judging from the opinions in this thread), but I like the slow breakdown/bridge. I think it makes the song less "monotonous".

I liked it in the the demo version, too, as a standalone part (the guitar melody and even the little piano bit), but I felt it didn't fit with the main part of the song that much and made it sound disjointed. I think Slash's slide solo fits better and Axl's "hey-heys" (seemingly pasted from the vocal track of Eye On You) go surprisingly well with it.

i agree with that i think the song is fine you can only do so much with a old song

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Let's be honest, the average rock fan (not hardcore GnR fan) has no idea when Axl did vocals and when everything came together. They just know it's a new Guns song that has Axl and Slash on it.

I agree, in fact, some people don't even realize Slash is back in GN'R. Others never knew he left. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Some people on reddit are saying the radio edit of HS has a different mix. Can anyone confirm that? I can't find it anywhere

ummhhhh... to me it rather sounds like the radio edit has compressed "radio quality" than a different mix, hard to say. it sounds different, but to me it rather sounds like low-bitrate MP3 than it would have a different mix originally.

but I did no scientific checks, too lazy for that.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm probably in the minority (judging from the opinions in this thread), but I like the slow breakdown/bridge. I think it makes the song less "monotonous".

I liked it in the the demo version, too, as a standalone part (the guitar melody and even the little piano bit), but I felt it didn't fit with the main part of the song that much and made it sound disjointed. I think Slash's slide solo fits better and Axl's "hey-heys" (seemingly pasted from the vocal track of Eye On You) go surprisingly well with it.

I like it too, but i think it goes a tiny bit too long. It sounds like it should naturally end at 2:42.

17 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I used to enjoy the long intro but I went back and listened recently after a long while and it's kinda boring to sit through and doesn't suit the rest of the song at all. 

I agree with you on this. the quick start on the new one makes the song much more enjoyable.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Today it’s at the same place on the rock list, but now down to #40 on the main list. Which is unique as pretty much all of the top 10 from Friday is still there except GNR which dropped 32 spots. Hopefully it’s getting radio play to  resuscitate it. 

Now at #63. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They're not doing "huge successful world tours". They're nearing the end of a tour that saw shows being moved to smaller venues, massive discounts on the shows that did stay in stadiums and none of the shows selling out even with the massive discounts. 

Playing to 20/30 thousand people a night and headlining major festivals is huge and successful.

19 minutes ago, Tio Didi said:

One thing I prefered in the leak was that the guitars and the song kinda exploded on the chorus. On the released version, the guitars remained tamed during all the song.

When the rumor mill started with Hard Skool I was genuinely excited to hear how much more "meaner" it would sound with Slash's tone and touch. Then when I actually heard the released version was pretty disappointed with the "thin" sound. Almost as if Slash is using single coil pickups (maybe '59 Les Paul with P90's?) with little to no "dirt". He did that on most of his last album with Myles. Which is fine for that band, but with Guns I really wanted to hear his classic GnR grit with that chord progression. Especially since this song "could have" originated with the '96 sessions. I really wanted this song to sound like what we would have heard on a possible '97 or '98 album had Slash never left. Instead it sounds more like a SMKC song with Axl singing. Which again is fine as long as they are releasing new music together again. I was just hoping for a more visceral sound all togther. I do love the breakdown addition though. I love slide especailly when Slash is performing it. It also is in-line with classic Guns (or all classic songs for that matter) in that it is sort of "a song within a song".

As far as the vocal being pasted that really is about the only way this could have gone. Maybe Axl in studio setting could come close to that rasp with an updated recording, but I like the fact that the vocals are from a time when Slash should have still been in the band working on a new record. However it's also the reason I found this release a little "flat" to the demo. I expected the guitars to be a little more aggressive to go along with Axl's vocals. Again though I can live with this release since they are actually putting something out together again.

All this being said I purchased the 7" (even though I'll need to wait 6 months for it) because I'm a vinyl guy, and wanted this as an official release. Purchased the CD too because of live tracks, and also why not for the price? For the vinyl due to the vinyl manufacturing woes I wanted to get on the pre-order list because it might be available for a long time after that if ever. I would have kicked myself for not just pre-ordering and waiting. Metallica's 1st year vinyl club membership taught me that. Following that saga that started last year for others that didn't join really made me appreciate not passing it up. The Metallica vinyl club also taught me patience in waiting for the shipment. 

...also on the note of Metallica's vinyl club...if you factor in shipping for 4x 7" vinyl's the costs comes to nearly the same price as the Hard Skool 7" with shipping. So surprisingly Guns is in line with with MetClub as far as manufacturing, shipping, and pricing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

Playing to 20/30 thousand people a night and headlining major festivals is huge and successful.

Agree to disagree, I guess. Booking into 50k+ stadiums and having to sell tickets for well over half off, then still having the venue not be sold out? That seems neither huge, nor successful to me. 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:34 AM, MaskingApathy said:

No they did it when they were playing it in soundcheck before the Columbus show, so I think it's meant to be part of the song.

There's way more to Mark than "guitar player from Creed (which doesn't exist anymore);" in any case he wasn't the one mixing his record so clearly you didn't read my post properly.

I agree, I think they need to get a real mix engineer and producer who can help them develop their songs more and take them to the next level.

That would be cool.

The drums sound almost programmed to me, esp the kick doesn't sound like how it would with an actual person playing it. The hits are a little too on the beat if that makes sense.

Isn't that @Gambit83's station?

Spotify normalizes everything to a certain range, so that's why. 

I work there as a backup morning show producer/board operator. My podcast is also on their website. https://q1043.iheart.com/podcasts/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Of course, which is why brands like Coca Cola, Bud Light and McDonald’s don’t advertise themselves anymore. Haven’t seen a commercial for those established behemoths in years. Good point.  

I know it is, than you.  What you're missing is GnR has constant advertising going on. Coca Cola advertises the same old reliable product way more often than any new product. And so does GnR. It's a lot more important for a band like SMKC to self promote when they don't have a song that has regular rotation on the radio.  They literally have to put something new out every cycle and hope it catches on a bit to remind people they are here.  I can't take a 20 minute drive without seeing one of GnR's hits coming on Sirius.  It's literally non stop. GnR are constantly being marketed and advertised.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tucknroll said:

I think it sounds like a song being played during a late 90s teen horror movie credits.  Nothing great

You don't enjoy the songs that were played during movie credits from 90s teen horror movies? Damn sucks to be you lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

42 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I know it is, than you.  What you're missing is GnR has constant advertising going on. Coca Cola advertises the same old reliable product way more often than any new product. And so does GnR. It's a lot more important for a band like SMKC to self promote when they don't have a song that has regular rotation on the radio.  They literally have to put something new out every cycle and hope it catches on a bit to remind people they are here.  I can't take a 20 minute drive without seeing one of GnR's hits coming on Sirius.  It's literally non stop. GnR are constantly being marketed and advertised.  

Coke is also stocking shelves with new products for their customers to buy. Imagine is Coke never released any new products. Interest in their product would surely wane over time. 

GN'R having been great at one time and having their classic songs played on the radio a lot doesn't mean that the general public keeps them front of mind. The evidence of this can be found in the sales & attendance of the current tour. 

• Like 1