Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

9 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm just saying anybody who hears a new GnR single has probably heard WTTJ, SCOM, PC, NR, Patience, YCBM, L&LD, KOHD already.

Do you know how hard it would be to for someone to hear a new GnR single and not be aware of at least some of their back catalog?  Most people who hear hard skool or whatever probably have already made up their mind on GnR, of course that isn't every case but the vast majority I would say it is. 

That doesn't mean there is no reason for them to make new music, or release singles or anything like that. I just don't think it's as important for a band like GnR.  They already have more music played on the radio every day than 99.9% of any rock band that has ever existed.  

Doesn't seem like it'd be any harder than a new band being discovered. It's not only the older crowd going to GNR shows. 

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

I know it is, than you.  What you're missing is GnR has constant advertising going on. Coca Cola advertises the same old reliable product way more often than any new product. And so does GnR. It's a lot more important for a band like SMKC to self promote when they don't have a song that has regular rotation on the radio.  They literally have to put something new out every cycle and hope it catches on a bit to remind people they are here.  I can't take a 20 minute drive without seeing one of GnR's hits coming on Sirius.  It's literally non stop. GnR are constantly being marketed and advertised.  

Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean , but what your saying is that GNR doesn’t need to do anything because their old classic music is already being played on the rock stations you listen to on the radio. Like that’s some magic elixir on maintaining fans and also helping recruit new ones. Seems like promoting yourself/music on current programs/platforms (like was mentioned before that you disagree with) that have an audience that isn’t already that aware of your work (or new work) would be a smart move. At least if you’re confident in what you’re doing and not just lazily resting on your laurels to more and more diminishing returns. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Not sure what your first sentence is supposed to mean , but what your saying is that GNR doesn’t need to do anything because their old classic music is already being played on the rock stations you listen to on the radio. Like that’s some magic elixir on maintaining fans and also helping recruit new ones. Seems like promoting yourself/music on current programs/platforms (like was mentioned before that you disagree with) that have an audience that isn’t already that aware of your work (or new work) would be a smart move. At least if you’re confident in what you’re doing and not just lazily resting on your laurels to more and more diminishing returns. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't release new songs to radio. In fact I said the opposite

What I'm saying is GnR doesn't have to do Facebook live streams and fan q&as and things like that like other bands need to do.  They are always in the public eye somewhat because of their back catalog.  Appetite for destruction still sells.  They haven't released new music in 13 years and they still play large venue shows with little to no promotion (interviews etc.)

Doing a Facebook chat isn't going to increase their popularity or raise awareness of the band.  Releasing new music clearly creates a buzz but it's not going to take them to the next level at this point.

The guys in the band are clearly happy with where they are in their personal lives.  What in the world would make Axl rose want to get on Facebook live when he could be doing something else in his life that he really enjoys? They are already an enormous band with an enormous amount of money.  They aren't hungry kids

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't release new songs to radio. In fact I said the opposite

What I'm saying is GnR doesn't have to do Facebook live streams and fan q&as and things like that like other bands need to do.  They are always in the public eye somewhat because of their back catalog.  Appetite for destruction still sells.  They haven't released new music in 13 years and they still play large venue shows with little to no promotion (interviews etc.)

Doing a Facebook chat isn't going to increase their popularity or raise awareness of the band.  Releasing new music clearly creates a buzz but it's not going to take them to the next level at this point.

The guys in the band are clearly happy with where they are in their personal lives.  What in the world would make Axl rose want to get on Facebook live when he could be doing something else in his life that he really enjoys? They are already an enormous band with an enormous amount of money.  They aren't hungry kids

True. It would come across a bit desperate at this point even. But they should do a lot more for the fans, good interviews, some tv stuff, just let us in a bit more. It just feels like they can't do any of that because it's just not there. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

No one talked about this track really ever. I wonder if it was considered to be a B side or something of the such. Axl never really seemed excited by it which is why I think it took so long for this song to be played live. Never talked about it besides addressing the name. I think since he was trying to be innovative in the CD era he wasn’t too inspired by this track since it sounded like old Guns. These are just my two cents but I get the feeling Axl doesn’t care that much about this song.

We talked about it a lot since 2006 because of the leak though

19 minutes ago, rose22 said:

How many of the “artists” in the 52 spots ahead of them can sell out stadiums? All that charting shit means Jack shit. Especially for these guys. 

Guns don't sell out Stadiums either.. That was over sometime in 2017.. And in no way am I saying that they aren't a successful touring act either.. There are hardly and rock bands that can sell out Stadiums.. Playing 15,000 seat Arenas and Amphitheaters is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of..  Lower ticket prices and they sell those out every night..  Hell I saw Alice Cooper last week who is an absolute legend and releases music constantly.. There couldn't have been more than 2500 people  in attendance. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rose22 said:

How many of the “artists” in the 52 spots ahead of them can sell out stadiums? All that charting shit means Jack shit. Especially for these guys. 

I’m sure a few probably could, not that GNR really can at this point anymore, but I’m failing to understand how you think this is a good point you’re making. This list isn’t about radio plays or anything like that, it’s people willing to spend $1.29 to digitally purchase the song. So you’re claiming they can sell out stadiums where tickets are at least in the $50 range unlike the less popular losers ahead of them on this list…yet doesn’t that make it worse if GNR has so many fans yet very few willing to put down a few dollars for essentially the first real new (never played publicly before) song they’ve put out in 13 years? It’s not like the song didn’t receive publicity on its release a few days ago, so I guess if it keeps cratering people just aren’t into GNR as a creative entity anymore (at least not one that recycles old songs) or they just don’t like this particular song that much. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Rock singles have never done well in the charts. The stats on GN’R singles in 1990’s don’t paint a picture of how successful they were. The charts will always be filled with what the youth are listening to, now more than ever given the way they can stream.

This forum really is the pits at the minute. My favourite band are on tour, releasing music and seemingly enjoying it..this swamp of negativity on here is depressing.

Like I said in the previous post, this chart/list isn’t your traditional singles or Billboard hot 100 chart. It’s not dependent on how many rock stations there are (obviously a lot less than pop type stations) and how many times they spin this song or how many streams it gets on other platforms. It’s solely how many people are willing to pay $1.29 for a digital copy of the song. It peaked at #7 on Friday apparently and is down to #66 by Tuesday. Make of it what you will. 

2 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I played Hard Skool on my campus radio station tonight. Hearing it through the system in the radio station made it much easier to hear some of the rhythm guitar parts that aren’t as prevalent on headphones  

Any feedback from the people who listened to it?

7 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Like I said in the previous post, this chart/list isn’t your traditional singles or Billboard hot 100 chart. It’s not dependent on how many rock stations there are (obviously a lot less than pop type stations) and how many times they spin this song or how many streams it gets on other platforms. It’s solely how many people are willing to pay $1.29 for a digital copy of the song. It peaked at #7 on Friday apparently and is down to #66 by Tuesday. Make of it what you will. 

Why would people pay £1.29? Adults have Spotify, tidal etc… or you can just press on the YouTube link the band themselves shared.

If you’re a fan like me you’ll no doubt buy the cd, hat & t-shirt. 

Edited by reayj2003

8 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

Why would people pay £1.29? Adults have Spotify, tidal etc… or you can just press on the YouTube link the band themselves shared.

If you’re a fan like me you’ll no doubt buy the cd, hat & t-shirt. 

Uh because some people like to own an actual copy of tracks they like? Every song on that list is also likely available on Spotify, Tidal, etc to be streamed. They’re also all on YouTube. This is the list for people willing to purchase a digital copy. So if you’re a fan spend the $1 for the song to go along with your hat and t-shirt. 

In more positive news, I also looked up the Amazon MP3 song chart and it’s at #32.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Uh because some people like to own an actual copy of tracks they like? Every song on that list is also likely available on Spotify, Tidal, etc to be streamed. They’re also all on YouTube. This is the list for people willing to purchase a digital copy. So if you’re a fan spend the $1 for the song to go along with your hat and t-shirt. 

In more positive news, I also looked up the Amazon MP3 song chart and it’s at #32.

Probably don’t have the stats available, but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the age group demographics for the ‘single’ purchases. Like if they broke it down to 15-25yrs, 26-36 yrs, 37-48yrs, 49-59yrs or something like that, to see if Hardskool was in the top 10 for the latter two groups and much lower for the first two groups? Those companies might have that sort of info. I consider myself a big GnR fan but I haven’t purchased it. I just couldn’t be stuffed. I would happily pay $100 for a new album. But for a reworking of an old song released as a new single, nah not for me. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Coke is also stocking shelves with new products for their customers to buy. Imagine is Coke never released any new products. Interest in their product would surely wane over time. 

GN'R having been great at one time and having their classic songs played on the radio a lot doesn't mean that the general public keeps them front of mind. The evidence of this can be found in the sales & attendance of the current tour. 

I started a new job and in my bio put I was fan of GNR. A couple of my American coworkers told me the same, and when I asked what they thought of the new music they said they hadn't realised there was new music. One had been in Chicago to see Dead & Co. and only found out afterwards that GNR had played Chicago the day before.

On topic, I always find it genius how that "Checkmate" clip opened with those kick-ass drums, and wonder if Axl & co. every considered opening Hard Skool that way. Straight into the song, no bullshit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rose22 said:

Who's selling out stadiums? Surely you're not referring to GN'R when you say that, right? 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Amir said:

On topic, I always find it genius how that "Checkmate" clip opened with those kick-ass drums, and wonder if Axl & co. every considered opening Hard Skool that way. Straight into the song, no bullshit.

I think if they kept it in the original format, it'd be a great tune to open with.

Maybe have the actual into part just as a tape for the band to come onstage, lights on and the drum roll in for the full band kicking into the song.

• GNFNR 1

Very few ppl outside of this forum know, or care, that gnr released a new song.

Their latest singles blow. The hype was that they released music. 

Nostalgic acts rarely have latter day hits.

They are a nostalgic touring band. The singer needs to do something vocal-wise, as the band still sounds good.