Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

6 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

Rock singles have never done well in the charts. The stats on GN’R singles in 1990’s don’t paint a picture of how successful they were. The charts will always be filled with what the youth are listening to, now more than ever given the way they can stream.

This forum really is the pits at the minute. My favourite band are on tour, releasing music and seemingly enjoying it..this swamp of negativity on here is depressing.

This is crazy. Lots of rock songs have charted either no 1 or at least top 40. It hasn't really happened much in the last 15yrs, but before that it was certainly regular(ish).

The forum is a swamp of negativity. That's just not true, in general people seem to be really digging Hard Skool, a lot of people (despite everything😜) seem to like Absurd too! a lot of people here are excited to buy this upcoming EP AND a lot of people are saying very positive things about the current shows. If you can read that and say that's negative you're going wrong somewhere and should start again.

There will always be people who A) don't like exactly the same things as you B) a small group of people who want a very specific thing and cannot be placated with anything else.. for the latter there's nothing that can be done for them, but they are a tiny percentage. On balance this forum has more positive than negative, a few months ago this place was a swamp of despair, I won't say negativity because everybody here was rooting for GNR to pull out and show us there's life in the old dog. This place is filled with eternal optimists!

Neither Hardskool or absurd are in the top 50 best GNR songs, but it's fucking fantastic that they are releasing original music. I wish they'd promote it though.

34 minutes ago, mingsubu said:

Very few ppl outside of this forum know, or care, that gnr released a new song.

Their latest singles blow. The hype was that they released music. 

Nostalgic acts rarely have latter day hits.

They are a nostalgic touring band. The singer needs to do something vocal-wise, as the band still sounds good.

There's Black Sabbath, Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen and many more older acts that would disagree with you. And that's just the rock world.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Neither Hardskool or absurd are in the top 50 best GNR songs, but it's fucking fantastic that they are releasing original music. I wish they'd promote it though.

know everyone sees things different but I wouldn't classify these songs as original music.. I see them as covers for the most part.. Just like when they play Slither...

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

know everyone sees things different but I wouldn't classify these songs as original music.. I see them as covers for the most part.. Just like when they play Slither...

Then you open a real can of worms with songs like Yesterdays, back off bitch, The garden etc that were written with West Arkeen, Paul Tobias, Del James etc.. I think these are as legitimate as UYI material even though I don't like them as much. 

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Then you open a real can of worms with songs like Yesterdays, back off bitch, The garden etc that were written with West Arkeen, Paul Tobias, Del James etc.. I think these are as legitimate as UYI material even though I don't like them as much. 

Totally a can of worms.. All I can say is that they recorded those songs over by scratch as a band.. They had the liberty to do whatever they wanted with the songs to make them their own.. You don't have that when your track have to fit perfectly over existing drum and vocal tracks from demos.. Demos recorded by another band.. 

Been a GN'R fan since I stole my best friend's sister's copy of Appetite in 1987 when we were Eight years old, had a GN'R logo on my birthday cake when I was Ten, I've seen the band live seven times, and, I haven't bought the single/EP/whatever it is.

They're selling hats & stickers like they've won the damned World Cup.  They're treating two songs as if it's some kind of a milestone.  They're doing merch bundles like normally functioning bands do when they release full-length albums...Utterly ridiculous.

I like the new tunes, thrilled to finally have SOMETHING to show for this reunion, and, new music is a cause for celebration, but, my money goes to bands who respect their craft enough to write, rehearse, demo, record, and release new music.

Put out a record, and, I'll buy all the celebratory ephemera.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

They're selling hats & stickers like they've won the damned World Cup.  They're treating two songs as if it's some kind of a milestone.  They're doing merch bundles like normally functioning bands do when they release full-length albums...Utterly ridiculous.

Yep, this was my reaction as well. Don't really understand why people are giving them props or acting like this is some huge milestone. Once an album is announced I'll get excited about buying something. I'm thinking one isn't coming and we'll just be getting stuff like this from now on if anything at all, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

Yep, this was my reaction as well. Don't really understand why people are giving them props or acting like this is some huge milestone. Once an album is announced I'll get excited about buying something. I'm thinking one isn't coming and we'll just be getting stuff like this from now on if anything at all, though.

Even Guns had to justify bringing the tour around the horn for what will end up being the SIXTH year in a row now.  A couple of new tunes give them at least something to hang their (top)hat on.

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Totally a can of worms.. All I can say is that they recorded those songs over by scratch as a band.. They had the liberty to do whatever they wanted with the songs to make them their own.. You don't have that when your track have to fit perfectly over existing drum and vocal tracks from demos.. Demos recorded by another band.. 

You won't hear me disagreeing that those songs should have been completely redone with Slash and Duff rearranging them with Richard and (your favourite) Frank, but I guess Slash/Duff consented to work this way, so it is what is! 

My guess is that Duff / Slash either agreed to do it this way for either 2 reasons. 1. only way they could release music 2. only way they could get Axl to work on their material too.

I fully understand Axl worked on his material for a long time and doesn't want to abandon it... I just think it would have more of a fighting chance if he recut it properly with the current members. There would be much less talk of "this was originally recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions". 

Any yeah, those Illusion songs were probably more skeleton arrangements, but Slash and Duff basically just added their bass and solos to the songs, so while they had a bit more freedom to move things around it was still quite a similar situation.

10 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Hey if they keep releasing music on a semi regular basis then who cares? Obviously I'd prefer a dedicated album, or an album written somewhere between 2016 and now! but I'll take what I can get.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Hey if they keep releasing music on a semi regular basis then who cares? Obviously I'd prefer a dedicated album, or an album written somewhere between 2016 and now! but I'll take what I can get.

I think I'm just at the point where being drip fed two songs a year for years by this band doesn't sound at all appealing haha. I will also take what I can get but if no album gets announced I doubt I'll be buying anything else they put out.

Edited by Jw224

26 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think I'm just at the point where being drip fed two songs a year for years by this band doesn't sound at all appealing haha. I will also take what I can get but if no album gets announced I doubt I'll be buying anything else they put out.

I want more than 2 songs a year too! The bar is low but I'd be think 4/5 min if they went down the route of drip feeding.

6 hours ago, Amir said:

On topic, I always find it genius how that "Checkmate" clip opened with those kick-ass drums, and wonder if Axl & co. every considered opening Hard Skool that way. Straight into the song, no bullshit.

Because of that I always presumed that "all cautions made..." was the chorus. I thought it was a big drum roll into a kick ass chorus. Well, until the full song leaked. It took me a while to warm up to the actual chorus because of it since it felt like the momentum was gone.

Also the main reason why I haven't spent much time with the other leaks. Assuming they put out more tunes, I want them to feel somewhat fresh.

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think people are giving them props merely for finally releasing music, not for the paraphernalia that go with it. And it's not like someone has to buy those in order to get the music. If one wants to buy just the cd (which is - surprisingly -  reasonably priced) and or the vinyl, it's fine, if they want the stickers etc., too, it's up to them, and if they want to just stream the songs that's fine, too. I just don't understand why one might not want the music just because they released some themed merch items.

Of course, options are good, always.  It's not so much that I won't buy it just because they released themed merch alongside it (although, again, I find do it a bit silly), but, I won't buy it because I don't feel like what they've offered is worth my money.

Again, if/when they release an album?  Have a parade, put out all the crap coasters, pins, stickers, and patches you want.  I'll be there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Of course, options are good, always.  It's not so much that I won't buy it just because they released themed merch alongside it (although, again, I find do it a bit silly), but, I won't buy it because I don't feel like what they've offered is worth my money.

Again, if/when they release an album?  Have a parade, put out all the crap coasters, pins, stickers, and patches you want.  I'll be there.

Pretty much this haha.

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

Love the song obviously. So great to see them release anything at this point.

It's probably been discussed already but I it took a few listens to realize the song samples Eye On You during the bridge.

Strange choice, if you ask me. The song could have done without this addition (and the long Bridge) as it feels like 'plastered on' Axlisms. But very happy they finally released a song, nevertheless. 

1 hour ago, Gaanzer said:

Strange choice, if you ask me. The song could have done without this addition (and the long Bridge) as it feels like 'plastered on' Axlisms. But very happy they finally released a song, nevertheless. 

Agreed. I wouldn't mind another verse though. It's a bit repetitive towards the end but still great. I listen to it multiple times a day.

I think that the bridge in Absurd is weak too.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oneway23 said:

On the subject of merch, what were they thinking.. by offering a GN'R Jigsaw Puzzle. I mean, really?

Passed 1,000,000 views on the official audio today (woo hoo :headbang:)

I really hope they release anything for an official video to help boost the single, and get the song in some spotify rock playlists ASAP.

Interviews would also help, why does Axl hate promoting songs he spends decades on?

• Like 3
  • Wow 1