Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Imo hard school sounds like a track that didn't make the cut on a Slash record. 

I still enjoy it mind you, but it doesn't feel like a band created and has so much emphasis on 'Hey Slash is in the band and of course we have to have a bass intro to remind ppl of duff'. 

Imo if they wrote together both slash and duff would have ample opportunity to stamp their mark on the band musically, instead of what sounds to my ears forcing themselves on it. 

Of course that would require Axl getting on board with writing and recording etc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Imo hard school sounds like a track that didn't make the cut on a Slash record. 

I still enjoy it mind you, but it doesn't feel like a band created and has so much emphasis on 'Hey Slash is in the band and of course we have to have a bass intro to remind ppl of duff'. 

Imo if they wrote together both slash and duff would have ample opportunity to stamp their mark on the band musically, instead of what sounds to my ears forcing themselves on it. 

Of course that would require Axl getting on board with writing and recording etc. 

Maybe Axl first wants to have the songs finished he's been working on for decades now before working on actual new music. I believe that's what we'll get for atleast the next few songs they're gonna release, if they're gonna release anything.

Axl obviously loved Silkworms and I believe we got Hard School for the simple reason that was the song that got a really positive reception when the leaks happened and TB let Axl know that, if he didn't look at forums for himself, he's been on here before.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Hard Skool in Billboard's charts 10/9/2021 (second week):

- Hot Rock & Alternative Songs: #33

- Hot Hard Rock Songs: #2 (*Absurd peaked at #5 on 8/21/2021)

- General Digital Song Sales: #21

- Rock Digital Song Sales: #4 (*Absurd peaked at #6 on 8/21/2021)

- Hard Rock Digital Song Sales: #1 (Absurd peaked at #2 on 8/21/2021)

- Mainstream Rock Airplay: #19

- Rock & Alternative Airplay: #29 (*on 10/2/2021)

Canada:

- Hot Canadian Digital Song Sales: #26

- Canada Rock: #45

That's not too bad. Wish they would do some press about it and some late night TV appearances, that would help too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

and some late night TV appearances, that would help too.

Would it? I've read several people say this, but let's be honest, if they go on a late night show and Axl sounds like he did in Baltimore, they won't be well-received.

They should've dropped a video by now, and it'd be cool if they included the last performance in a Selects video, but there's really not much more they can do for promotion...

Edited by Gordon Comstock

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Would it? I've read several people say this, but let's be honest, if they go on a late night show and Axl sounds like he did in Baltimore, they won't be well-received.

They should've dropped a video by now, and it'd be cool if they included the last performance in a Selects video, but there's really not much more they can do for promotion...

For one song outside of a regular show I'm sure he can sound a little better. Apart from chart performance it would put them in the public awareness a little more, which is what you want when you have a new song out. Like when the new SMKC album comes out they'll probably play on Kimmel again like they have in the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

For one song outside of a regular show I'm sure he can sound a little better. Apart from chart performance it would put them in the public awareness a little more, which is what you want when you have a new song out. Like when the new SMKC album comes out they'll probably play on Kimmel again like they have in the past.

How did he sound at the 2002 VMA's? His big return and much closer to his prime and he sounded like a winded whistle

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hard Skool in Billboard's charts 10/9/2021 (second week):

- Hot Rock & Alternative Songs: #33

- Hot Hard Rock Songs: #2 (*Absurd peaked at #5 on 8/21/2021)

- General Digital Song Sales: #21

- Rock Digital Song Sales: #4 (*Absurd peaked at #6 on 8/21/2021)

- Hard Rock Digital Song Sales: #1 (Absurd peaked at #2 on 8/21/2021)

- Mainstream Rock Airplay: #19

- Rock & Alternative Airplay: #29 (*on 10/2/2021)

Canada:

- Hot Canadian Digital Song Sales: #26

- Canada Rock: #45

Not great. Not terrible. 

17 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Maybe if they'd done it while they were still touring, but after a break? Keep Axl the fuck away from televised performances :lol:

I'm pretty sure if they played Hardschool on a late night show, most people's reactions would be "it was fine, but why didn't they play Patience or Sweet Child O Mine?". I hope GNR keeps releasing new music but I don't expect it to have any relevance outside of forums and classic rock stations. :shrugs:

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Maybe if they'd done it while they were still touring, but after a break? Keep Axl the fuck away from televised performances :lol:

I'm pretty sure if they played Hardschool on a late night show, most people's reactions would be "it was fine, but why didn't they play Patience or Sweet Child O Mine?". I hope GNR keeps releasing new music but I don't expect it to have any relevance outside of forums and classic rock stations. :shrugs:

They missed the boat then, if they had put out this song in 2017 or 2018 I think it would've been more relevant (and it would've been before we heard the leak also).

• Like 2

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

They missed the boat then, if they had put out this song in 2017 or 2018 I think it would've been more relevant (and it would've been before we heard the leak also).

They absolutely missed the boat... the time to capitalize on reunion hype was 2016-17. There was still some real interest from the general public. But 5 years after the reunion, they're just another legacy band who's new singles might get radio play for a month, if they're lucky.

SOYL was basically the same, I heard it several times in the weeks following its release but I haven't heard it since then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They absolutely missed the boat... the time to capitalize on reunion hype was 2016-17. There was still some real interest from the general public. But 5 years after the reunion, they're just another legacy band who's new singles might get radio play for a month, if they're lucky.

SOYL was basically the same, I heard it several times in the weeks following its release but I haven't heard it since then.

I get that they didn't know how far the reunion would go so they didn't want to introduce new music... but by 2018 there was no reason not to release these songs as a momentum builder. It was the perfect timing! Oh well! The timing on this feels a bit squandered but they got some buzz from it all the same!

• Like 1

2016 or 2021, I don't think it would have made much difference. To turn things around and not be considered a legacy act, the band would have to do more than release a couple of singles. They would have to release more music that was relevant to more than old fans and the few young people who care about to his type of music. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

2016 or 2021, I don't think it would have made much difference. To turn things around and not be considered a legacy act, the band would have to do more than release a couple of singles. They would have to release more music that was relevant to more than old fans and the few young people who care about to his type of music. 

I don't think there is anything they can do to not be considered a legacy act. By casual fans, anyway. Us die-hards are a different breed. I'll buy anything they sell when it comes to new music, but most of all I would like to see them release music that reflects who they are now, as a band. I mean, they are millionaires nearly twice my age, but I still wish they'd release something I could relate to. Lyrically and musically.

It's really sad they broke up in the 90's and never got the chance to really evolve. Thank The Void there are other bands in the world.

It’s at #13 now on the mainstream rock airplay chart in its 3rd week. It’s only at 1.6 million views on YouTube though which isn’t very impressive compared to other established bands. Without a proper video I think the song will rise a littler higher on the radio charts and then will slowly recede from most rock fans consciousness. 

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradiocharts/charts.aspx?formatid=54

On 10/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, DTJ80 said:

Going back to the mix - what I noticed is the where the vocals are further in the background for the first 2/3s of the song they are then ‘where they should be’ from post-solo onwards….or is it just me? 🤔

Absolutely, thats what puts me of the most, the first impression I get from this "new" song is hmmmm bad mix

I'm in no way an audiophile but, the "thin vocal" anoys the hell out of me

The mix was EQ'd to me in a way that just sounds... thin.  Almost like you are hearing it via an AM radio

If you put on a track from Appetite from the original '87 mastering and this, the 1987 mix and master sounds richer and more encapsulating of the frequency spectrum, which is crazy.  I dig the actual arrangements and the new performances via Slash and Duff, but the mix is a bit lacking IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

The mix was EQ'd to me in a way that just sounds... thin.  Almost like you are hearing it via an AM radio

If you put on a track from Appetite from the original '87 mastering and this, the 1987 mix and master sounds richer and more encapsulating of the frequency spectrum, which is crazy.  I dig the actual arrangements and the new performances via Slash and Duff, but the mix is a bit lacking IMO

Agree with everything. The song is louder, but it's not fuller. I think Axl and Caram mixed it just for those who listen to Spotify in whatever quality using the stock iPhone ear buds.

• Like 1