Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

On 10/6/2021 at 9:44 PM, Voodoochild said:

The Fortus footage is def from Hard Skool. They could very well release a proper "live" video using the studio audio, like the WTTJ video.

The video from that clip looked very good, may very well be for a proper video.

GNR really need to start releasing official videos for their singles to not do so is resulting in them being punished by the algorithm. Same reason why they should be uploading more frequently (lyric videos etc)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

The only thing stopping this song from being a classic is that it was made after their creative peak. It is certainly not filler or average. Much better than, say Shotgun Blues. That is filler.

Gotta disagree... The only thing that stops HS to be a classic it's the fact it isnt one.

And to be better than Shotgun Blues is not a compliment to any song

On 10/8/2021 at 11:57 AM, LAGuns87 said:

The only thing stopping this song from being a classic is that it was made after their creative peak. It is certainly not filler or average. Much better than, say Shotgun Blues. That is filler.

What are you talking about?  Shotgun Blues is awesome.

• Like 3

Imo hard school sounds like a track that didn't make the cut on a Slash record. 

I still enjoy it mind you, but it doesn't feel like a band created and has so much emphasis on 'Hey Slash is in the band and of course we have to have a bass intro to remind ppl of duff'. 

Imo if they wrote together both slash and duff would have ample opportunity to stamp their mark on the band musically, instead of what sounds to my ears forcing themselves on it. 

Of course that would require Axl getting on board with writing and recording etc. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Imo hard school sounds like a track that didn't make the cut on a Slash record. 

I still enjoy it mind you, but it doesn't feel like a band created and has so much emphasis on 'Hey Slash is in the band and of course we have to have a bass intro to remind ppl of duff'. 

Imo if they wrote together both slash and duff would have ample opportunity to stamp their mark on the band musically, instead of what sounds to my ears forcing themselves on it. 

Of course that would require Axl getting on board with writing and recording etc. 

Maybe Axl first wants to have the songs finished he's been working on for decades now before working on actual new music. I believe that's what we'll get for atleast the next few songs they're gonna release, if they're gonna release anything.

Axl obviously loved Silkworms and I believe we got Hard School for the simple reason that was the song that got a really positive reception when the leaks happened and TB let Axl know that, if he didn't look at forums for himself, he's been on here before.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Hard Skool in Billboard's charts 10/9/2021 (second week):

- Hot Rock & Alternative Songs: #33

- Hot Hard Rock Songs: #2 (*Absurd peaked at #5 on 8/21/2021)

- General Digital Song Sales: #21

- Rock Digital Song Sales: #4 (*Absurd peaked at #6 on 8/21/2021)

- Hard Rock Digital Song Sales: #1 (Absurd peaked at #2 on 8/21/2021)

- Mainstream Rock Airplay: #19

- Rock & Alternative Airplay: #29 (*on 10/2/2021)

Canada:

- Hot Canadian Digital Song Sales: #26

- Canada Rock: #45

That's not too bad. Wish they would do some press about it and some late night TV appearances, that would help too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

and some late night TV appearances, that would help too.

Would it? I've read several people say this, but let's be honest, if they go on a late night show and Axl sounds like he did in Baltimore, they won't be well-received.

They should've dropped a video by now, and it'd be cool if they included the last performance in a Selects video, but there's really not much more they can do for promotion...

Edited by Gordon Comstock

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Would it? I've read several people say this, but let's be honest, if they go on a late night show and Axl sounds like he did in Baltimore, they won't be well-received.

They should've dropped a video by now, and it'd be cool if they included the last performance in a Selects video, but there's really not much more they can do for promotion...

For one song outside of a regular show I'm sure he can sound a little better. Apart from chart performance it would put them in the public awareness a little more, which is what you want when you have a new song out. Like when the new SMKC album comes out they'll probably play on Kimmel again like they have in the past.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

For one song outside of a regular show I'm sure he can sound a little better. Apart from chart performance it would put them in the public awareness a little more, which is what you want when you have a new song out. Like when the new SMKC album comes out they'll probably play on Kimmel again like they have in the past.

How did he sound at the 2002 VMA's? His big return and much closer to his prime and he sounded like a winded whistle

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hard Skool in Billboard's charts 10/9/2021 (second week):

- Hot Rock & Alternative Songs: #33

- Hot Hard Rock Songs: #2 (*Absurd peaked at #5 on 8/21/2021)

- General Digital Song Sales: #21

- Rock Digital Song Sales: #4 (*Absurd peaked at #6 on 8/21/2021)

- Hard Rock Digital Song Sales: #1 (Absurd peaked at #2 on 8/21/2021)

- Mainstream Rock Airplay: #19

- Rock & Alternative Airplay: #29 (*on 10/2/2021)

Canada:

- Hot Canadian Digital Song Sales: #26

- Canada Rock: #45

Not great. Not terrible. 

17 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Maybe if they'd done it while they were still touring, but after a break? Keep Axl the fuck away from televised performances :lol:

I'm pretty sure if they played Hardschool on a late night show, most people's reactions would be "it was fine, but why didn't they play Patience or Sweet Child O Mine?". I hope GNR keeps releasing new music but I don't expect it to have any relevance outside of forums and classic rock stations. :shrugs: