Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

Maybe if they'd done it while they were still touring, but after a break? Keep Axl the fuck away from televised performances :lol:

I'm pretty sure if they played Hardschool on a late night show, most people's reactions would be "it was fine, but why didn't they play Patience or Sweet Child O Mine?". I hope GNR keeps releasing new music but I don't expect it to have any relevance outside of forums and classic rock stations. :shrugs:

They missed the boat then, if they had put out this song in 2017 or 2018 I think it would've been more relevant (and it would've been before we heard the leak also).

• Like 2

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

They missed the boat then, if they had put out this song in 2017 or 2018 I think it would've been more relevant (and it would've been before we heard the leak also).

They absolutely missed the boat... the time to capitalize on reunion hype was 2016-17. There was still some real interest from the general public. But 5 years after the reunion, they're just another legacy band who's new singles might get radio play for a month, if they're lucky.

SOYL was basically the same, I heard it several times in the weeks following its release but I haven't heard it since then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They absolutely missed the boat... the time to capitalize on reunion hype was 2016-17. There was still some real interest from the general public. But 5 years after the reunion, they're just another legacy band who's new singles might get radio play for a month, if they're lucky.

SOYL was basically the same, I heard it several times in the weeks following its release but I haven't heard it since then.

I get that they didn't know how far the reunion would go so they didn't want to introduce new music... but by 2018 there was no reason not to release these songs as a momentum builder. It was the perfect timing! Oh well! The timing on this feels a bit squandered but they got some buzz from it all the same!

• Like 1

2016 or 2021, I don't think it would have made much difference. To turn things around and not be considered a legacy act, the band would have to do more than release a couple of singles. They would have to release more music that was relevant to more than old fans and the few young people who care about to his type of music. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

2016 or 2021, I don't think it would have made much difference. To turn things around and not be considered a legacy act, the band would have to do more than release a couple of singles. They would have to release more music that was relevant to more than old fans and the few young people who care about to his type of music. 

I don't think there is anything they can do to not be considered a legacy act. By casual fans, anyway. Us die-hards are a different breed. I'll buy anything they sell when it comes to new music, but most of all I would like to see them release music that reflects who they are now, as a band. I mean, they are millionaires nearly twice my age, but I still wish they'd release something I could relate to. Lyrically and musically.

It's really sad they broke up in the 90's and never got the chance to really evolve. Thank The Void there are other bands in the world.

It’s at #13 now on the mainstream rock airplay chart in its 3rd week. It’s only at 1.6 million views on YouTube though which isn’t very impressive compared to other established bands. Without a proper video I think the song will rise a littler higher on the radio charts and then will slowly recede from most rock fans consciousness. 

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradiocharts/charts.aspx?formatid=54

It's also at #26 on the "Rock and Alternative Airplay" chart (from #37 last week).

For the sake of comparison, Shadow Of Your Love had reached #5 on Mainstream Rock Airplay and #18 on Rock and Alternative Airplay.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, DTJ80 said:

Going back to the mix - what I noticed is the where the vocals are further in the background for the first 2/3s of the song they are then ‘where they should be’ from post-solo onwards….or is it just me? 🤔

Absolutely, thats what puts me of the most, the first impression I get from this "new" song is hmmmm bad mix

I'm in no way an audiophile but, the "thin vocal" anoys the hell out of me

The mix was EQ'd to me in a way that just sounds... thin.  Almost like you are hearing it via an AM radio

If you put on a track from Appetite from the original '87 mastering and this, the 1987 mix and master sounds richer and more encapsulating of the frequency spectrum, which is crazy.  I dig the actual arrangements and the new performances via Slash and Duff, but the mix is a bit lacking IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

The mix was EQ'd to me in a way that just sounds... thin.  Almost like you are hearing it via an AM radio

If you put on a track from Appetite from the original '87 mastering and this, the 1987 mix and master sounds richer and more encapsulating of the frequency spectrum, which is crazy.  I dig the actual arrangements and the new performances via Slash and Duff, but the mix is a bit lacking IMO

Agree with everything. The song is louder, but it's not fuller. I think Axl and Caram mixed it just for those who listen to Spotify in whatever quality using the stock iPhone ear buds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

But he is a PERFECTIONIST lol

I don't know if just because you don't like the HS mix, it means that Axl is not a perfectionist. Things that have been said about him by big name musicians that worked with him and his approach to making music indicates otherwise imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • ABSUЯD 1

18 minutes ago, Dean said:

Courtesy of Brando's Twitter.

The fact she blocked out the codes says everything. Why the fuck would you do that with openly accessible information:lol:

The person who posted this has "izzy stradlin enthusiast" in her twitter bio, man these batshit fans do crazy shit sometimes

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The fact she blocked out the codes says everything. Why the fuck would you do that with openly accessible information:lol:

The person who posted this has "izzy stradlin enthusiast" in her twitter bio, man these batshit fans do crazy shit sometimes

It's odd how it hasn't appeared on the database yet though. Absurd was up in a matter of days of release I'm sure

I deleted the post so to not entertain people's handiwork at trying to dupe the fans!

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Blackstar fake?

Yes, fake. Doesn't appear in the ASCAP database search.

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The fact she blocked out the codes says everything. Why the fuck would you do that with openly accessible information

Exactly.

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

It's odd how it hasn't appeared on the database yet though. Absurd was up in a matter of days of release I'm sure

Actually Absurd took 3 or 4 weeks to appear. This one might take longer, because it probably won't even appear at all on ASCAP (none of Axl, Slash and Duff are on ASCAP and it's likely that there won't be any other writers credited).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, fake. Doesn't appear in the ASCAP database search.

Exactly.

Actually Absurd took 3 or 4 weeks to appear. This one might take longer, because it probably won't even appear at all on ASCAP (none of Axl, Slash and Duff are on ASCAP and it's likely that there won't be any other writers credited).

It's not on BMI either.

• Like 1