Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

18 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can’t wait for everyone in interviews to be like “music never sells…there’s no market for new music” regarding a new album despite them doing fuck all in promotion. We all know that excuse coming.

Already happening in this thread, so I fully expect the band and management to say the same thing 😂 

24 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can’t wait for everyone in interviews to be like “music never sells…there’s no market for new music” regarding a new album despite them doing fuck all in promotion. We all know that excuse coming.

I don't recall anyone from the band or management ever saying that. That's something only some fans have been saying.

I don't really care if the band isn't as popular right now, I like a lot of pretty unknown artists and I'm fine with that. The problem is that the band expects to be treated as a big act with little to no effort on promoting itself. There's no hype around the band anymore, they took too long to release their first stuff with Slash and Duff back. They didn't even care to put together a decent live video (with the audio from the studio, of course).

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think he quality of the song also has a lot to do with it.. 

Disagree. It may not be up to GNR standards (maybe for you, I actually like it) but I think this song is better than a lot of current rock songs out there. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

The lack of a proper video and promotion is the sole reason, look at Rammstein's Deutschland at 202M views.

I agree, they haven't done anything to properly tell the general public that they have a new song out.

50 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Disagree. It may not be up to GNR standards (maybe for you, I actually like it) but I think this song is better than a lot of current rock songs out there. 

I agree with this also.

• Like 1

Said it a few times, but I quite like HS though mid-section is just weird to me, and what the fuck is with all that 'hey hey heys'!? I mean c'mon! But other than that as a song, I think it's decent enough. I mean it ain't gonna be one of their greatest hits but it's okay. And that's possibly the problem... it's just okay. It sounds like GNR, but almost like GNR by numbers. All the components are there... and yet it just lacks something. As discussed earlier in this thread as well, the mix and master is borderline criminal!! 

"Hard Skool" is a flop. 2 million, 0 Youtube views, same amount, really.

The tour was a flop too. 99% of the people going got tickets for $20.00 the day of the show.

Most of the venues played were also downsized from much bigger venues. 

Axl sounded awful and the band just went through the motions. Most people sat there with their arms folded. No one had a good time.

"Hard Skool" is awful anyway.

The best thing about being a GN'R fan is coming here to complain and point out how washed-up they are 15-20 times a day. 

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Note that SOYL has 8 million Youtube views and was a top 5 hit on rock radio. It wasn't new to us but was to casual fans. Bands GNR's age tend to get one big comeback single and I think we missed it happening right in front of us back in 2018.

SOYL has a little under 20 million streams on Spotify, which is more than most of the UYI songs (except the big hits of course) and is within range of the lesser streamed songs on AFD. Absurd and Hard Skool have 2.8 million streams and 2.4 million streams respectively.

Plus to casual fans SOYL sounded just like an old classic GnR song because it is an old classic GnR song. I'm sure that helped things, along with the promotion that they did for the single and the boxset.

• Like 1

It's at #13 on the Mainstream Rock Airplay chart (same position as last week - that's the peak position in this chart so far):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

and at #27 on the Rock & Alternative Airplay chart (from #26 last week):

https://assets.billboard.com/charts/rock-airplay

Also #22 in Hot Hard Rock Songs (from #15 last week and #2 the week before):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-hard-rock-songs

In the Billboard charts credits Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy are listed as songwriters:

hard_s10.jpg

(Strange that it lists Axl as "W.B. Rose, Jr.")

The song still hasn't appeared in any PRO repertories (ASCAP, GMR or SESAC), though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's at #13 on the Mainstream Rock Airplay chart (same position as last week - that's the peak position in this chart so far):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

and at #27 on the Rock & Alternative Airplay chart (from #26 last week):

https://assets.billboard.com/charts/rock-airplay

Also #22 in Hot Hard Rock Songs (from #15 last week and #2 the week before):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-hard-rock-songs

In the Billboard charts credits Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy are listed as songwriters:

hard_s10.jpg

(Strange that it lists Axl as "W.B. Rose, Jr.")

The song still hasn't appeared in any PRO repertories (ASCAP, GMR or SESAC), though.

So it seems it may be beginning to stall a bit. The YouTube #s don’t lie though. It’s lackluster all things considered to this point. I mean I like Billy Idol for what he is, but his new tune that came out around the time of Absurd has similar YouTube #s as 2 “new” GNR songs…I actually like Billy’s song but considering how popular GNR were and still are touring wise they shouldn’t have similar #s for views on YouTube. I mean shit GNR has the biggest songs (let alone rock) of the 80’s and 90’s on the website…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

So it seems it may be beginning to stall a bit. The YouTube #s don’t lie though. It’s lackluster all things considered to this point. I mean I like Billy Idol for what he is, but his new tune that came out around the time of Absurd has similar YouTube #s as 2 “new” GNR songs…I actually like Billy’s song but considering how popular GNR were and still are touring wise they shouldn’t have similar #s for views on YouTube. I mean shit GNR has the biggest songs (let alone rock) of the 80’s and 90’s on the website…

I'm not somebody who defends them all the time but this isn't a fair competition because the GNR tracks have no video. I think with a music video Youtube views were much more than what they are now.

That being said, it's their own fault. They could have made a music video if they were interested in.

But to compare those two you have to go with the spotify streams imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

I'm not somebody who defends them all the time but this isn't a fair competition because the GNR tracks have no video. I think with a music video Youtube views were much more than what they are now.

That being said, it's their own fault. They could have made a music video if they were interested in.

But to compare those two you have to go with the spotify streams imo.

Fair enough but at the same time Billy’s video is pretty simplistic. It’s not apples to apples but considering the stature of GNR and him at this point in time it still says something Imo. 

19 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Said it a few times, but I quite like HS though mid-section is just weird to me, and what the fuck is with all that 'hey hey heys'!? I mean c'mon! But other than that as a song, I think it's decent enough. I mean it ain't gonna be one of their greatest hits but it's okay. And that's possibly the problem... it's just okay. It sounds like GNR, but almost like GNR by numbers. All the components are there... and yet it just lacks something. As discussed earlier in this thread as well, the mix and master is borderline criminal!! 

For all the good bits, Hard Skool is obviously an unfinished song.

I doubt i will ever hear Hard Skool on the radio here in hte UK. UK radio does still play Sweet Child O' Mine

10 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Didn't know Billy Idol was still going. I only ever likeed White Wedding :D

Atleast he still has his hair. I recall a news article  pre_internet days, that mentioned Billy needed to cut down on bleeching his hair, as he would end up loosing it :D

Edited by star

On 10/21/2021 at 2:20 AM, Martin Riggs said:

"Lets Go Brandon" has more views than Hardschool lol

• Like 1