Jump to content

Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24


Recommended Posts

I just took another listen to Hard Skool since it's release. Sure it sounds unfinished, thrown together, i sort of like that approach. Maybe that's all GN'R has to offer right now, rough diamonds, which is better than nothing at all. Given the age of the band members, they probably only have one album remaining in them, maybe?

Also, given Hard Skool has less than 2 million views, it goes somewhat to possibly pointing to just how far Guns'N'Roses have fallen off the radar. Maybe their aging fan base is all they have remaining. Many of those are probably content with the material from the 80's ..time fly's :(

Edited by star
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, star said:

Also, given Hard Skool has less than 2 million views, it goes somewhat to possibly pointing to just how far Guns'N'Roses have fallen off the radar. Maybe their aging fan base is all they have remaining. Many of those are probably content with the material from the 80's ..time fly's :(

HS has less than 2 million views because, despite insane claims from some users on here a few weeks ago, GN'R are not close to the most popular band in the world right now. 

There's a passing interest in the band from casual fans and zero interest from a new/younger fan base. There's a lot of factors that go into where the band is but I maintain that the biggest reason is lack of any sort of proper promotion. 

There's a million different ways to remain relevant and in the public eye, but GN'R isn't really interested in that. They want to take the path of least resistance that leads to the easiest money. 

So that's how you end up with the first new material from GN'R in 13 years (featuring Slash to boot) being DOA in the public eye. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

HS has less than 2 million views because, despite insane claims from some users on here a few weeks ago, GN'R are not close to the most popular band in the world right now. 

There's a passing interest in the band from casual fans and zero interest from a new/younger fan base. There's a lot of factors that go into where the band is but I maintain that the biggest reason is lack of any sort of proper promotion. 

There's a million different ways to remain relevant and in the public eye, but GN'R isn't really interested in that. They want to take the path of least resistance that leads to the easiest money. 

So that's how you end up with the first new material from GN'R in 13 years (featuring Slash to boot) being DOA in the public eye. 

The only basis to that claim is the tour revenue.

As we all know, album sales have fallen off a cliff and touring is a much bigger indicator of a bans success.

The press widely reported that the GNR tour was the highest grossing tour of all time, which led to claims that they were the biggest band in the world again.

Ultimately, as prices go up and up, tour grosses will continue to rise.  If it was the highest grossing tour ever, it won't be for long.

They are nowhere near the most popular act in music right now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ghost new single released a week after Hard Skool currently has 3 840 000 Spotify streams as compared to Hard Skools 2 400 000 streams... Kind of sad to see in a way but at the same time it's awesome that a newer band in the rock genre can still rake in those numbers now a days.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

They are nowhere near the most popular act in music right now.

And I doubt a lot of people think that. They're still pretty popular, though, in a lot of places. They've played huge venues in my neck of the woods many times in the last 4 years and still sold out the concert they are doing here next year pretty much immediately. Not too shabby for a band that hasn't had a real hit since the 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Ghost new single released a week after Hard Skool currently has 3 840 000 Spotify streams as compared to Hard Skools 2 400 000 streams... Kind of sad to see in a way but at the same time it's awesome that a newer band in the rock genre can still rake in those numbers now a days.

Exactly. The lack of success for GN'R studio material has absolutely nothing to do with low album sales across the music industry. It's more to do with the fact that GN'R doesn't do anything to properly promote it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

And I doubt a lot of people think that. They're still pretty popular, though, in a lot of places. They've played huge venues in my neck of the woods many times in the last 4 years and still sold out the concert they are doing here next year pretty much immediately. Not too shabby for a band that hasn't had a real hit since the 90's.

Of course.  They are Guns n Roses.  They'll always be popular.  They were once undisputedly the biggest band in the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. The lack of success for GN'R studio material has absolutely nothing to do with low album sales across the music industry. It's more to do with the fact that GN'R doesn't do anything to properly promote it. 

I think he quality of the song also has a lot to do with it.. Plus the fact that it wasn't really a new song.. 20 year old vocals and all that.. People can say only the die hards on forums know that but I know plenty Guns fans in "real life" that just don't care for that reason.. Others didn't even give it a chance after Absurd.. I even know people that still don't care about the band because Izzy isn't there.. I have a friend from work that hasn't cared about the reunion at all but is a big SMKC fan believe it or not. I hear people here always say that the general public doesn't care about any of that stuff but it just isn't true..  This was just a half assed throw away track with no album behind it and many people just don't care.. That said I do have one friend that likes it a lot.. He is also the only person I have ever talked to in "real life" that likes most of CD..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

Of course.  They are Guns n Roses.  They'll always be popular.  They were once undisputedly the biggest band in the world.

I was saying that because it's needless to say that they're not the most popular music act in the world. Who even questions that? Or maybe I missed that since I don't read everything about this band, but I can't imagine many people believe that. Maybe they've been one of the most successful touring acts in the world in the past few years? But I don't have those numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

HS has less than 2 million views because, despite insane claims from some users on here a few weeks ago, GN'R are not close to the most popular band in the world right now. 

There's a passing interest in the band from casual fans and zero interest from a new/younger fan base. There's a lot of factors that go into where the band is but I maintain that the biggest reason is lack of any sort of proper promotion. 

There's a million different ways to remain relevant and in the public eye, but GN'R isn't really interested in that. They want to take the path of least resistance that leads to the easiest money. 

So that's how you end up with the first new material from GN'R in 13 years (featuring Slash to boot) being DOA in the public eye. 

Can’t wait for everyone in interviews to be like “music never sells…there’s no market for new music” regarding a new album despite them doing fuck all in promotion. We all know that excuse coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can’t wait for everyone in interviews to be like “music never sells…there’s no market for new music” regarding a new album despite them doing fuck all in promotion. We all know that excuse coming.

Already happening in this thread, so I fully expect the band and management to say the same thing 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can’t wait for everyone in interviews to be like “music never sells…there’s no market for new music” regarding a new album despite them doing fuck all in promotion. We all know that excuse coming.

I don't recall anyone from the band or management ever saying that. That's something only some fans have been saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really care if the band isn't as popular right now, I like a lot of pretty unknown artists and I'm fine with that. The problem is that the band expects to be treated as a big act with little to no effort on promoting itself. There's no hype around the band anymore, they took too long to release their first stuff with Slash and Duff back. They didn't even care to put together a decent live video (with the audio from the studio, of course).

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think he quality of the song also has a lot to do with it.. 

Disagree. It may not be up to GNR standards (maybe for you, I actually like it) but I think this song is better than a lot of current rock songs out there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

The lack of a proper video and promotion is the sole reason, look at Rammstein's Deutschland at 202M views.

I agree, they haven't done anything to properly tell the general public that they have a new song out.

 

50 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Disagree. It may not be up to GNR standards (maybe for you, I actually like it) but I think this song is better than a lot of current rock songs out there. 

I agree with this also.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Said it a few times, but I quite like HS though mid-section is just weird to me, and what the fuck is with all that 'hey hey heys'!? I mean c'mon! But other than that as a song, I think it's decent enough. I mean it ain't gonna be one of their greatest hits but it's okay. And that's possibly the problem... it's just okay. It sounds like GNR, but almost like GNR by numbers. All the components are there... and yet it just lacks something. As discussed earlier in this thread as well, the mix and master is borderline criminal!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Hard Skool" is a flop. 2 million, 0 Youtube views, same amount, really.

The tour was a flop too. 99% of the people going got tickets for $20.00 the day of the show.

Most of the venues played were also downsized from much bigger venues. 

Axl sounded awful and the band just went through the motions. Most people sat there with their arms folded. No one had a good time.

"Hard Skool" is awful anyway.

The best thing about being a GN'R fan is coming here to complain and point out how washed-up they are 15-20 times a day. 

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Note that SOYL has 8 million Youtube views and was a top 5 hit on rock radio. It wasn't new to us but was to casual fans. Bands GNR's age tend to get one big comeback single and I think we missed it happening right in front of us back in 2018.

SOYL has a little under 20 million streams on Spotify, which is more than most of the UYI songs (except the big hits of course) and is within range of the lesser streamed songs on AFD. Absurd and Hard Skool have 2.8 million streams and 2.4 million streams respectively.

Plus to casual fans SOYL sounded just like an old classic GnR song because it is an old classic GnR song. I'm sure that helped things, along with the promotion that they did for the single and the boxset.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's at #13 on the Mainstream Rock Airplay chart (same position as last week - that's the peak position in this chart so far):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

and at #27 on the Rock & Alternative Airplay chart (from #26 last week):

https://assets.billboard.com/charts/rock-airplay

Also #22 in Hot Hard Rock Songs (from #15 last week and #2 the week before):

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-hard-rock-songs

*

In the Billboard charts credits Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy are listed as songwriters:

hard_s10.jpg

(Strange that it lists Axl as "W.B. Rose, Jr.")

The song still hasn't appeared in any PRO repertories (ASCAP, GMR or SESAC), though.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...