Hard Skool Officially Released at Midnight - Sept 24

On 1/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Coma16 said:

So the initial vinyl (with bonus sticker) cost $30 ($17 and $12 for shipping) with shipping to Canada.

The exclusive fanclub version is $45 (no additional shipping seems to be added). Decisions decisions....

Treat yourself if you want it! I had pre-ordered the CD and vinyl initially, but glad I pulled the trigger on this too!

10 hours ago, Dean said:

Treat yourself if you want it! I had pre-ordered the CD and vinyl initially, but glad I pulled the trigger on this too!

Yeah I think I might go with the fanclub version, just because it's marginally more but I'll get an extra track, along with the "perks" of being a NT member. I swore I'd never sign back up ever since they didn't mail me my swag for winning one of their monthly contests just before the regrouping. Happened just before the fan club was overtaken by LN. I stopped following up....

@jackparker123 it said in the email that its a "limited edition 7" clear vinyl". Some people seem to be confused because this version doesn't appear to require an adaptor.

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

@jackparker123 it said in the email that its a "limited edition 7" clear vinyl". Some people seem to be confused because this version doesn't appear to require an adaptor.

The photo definitely shows a 12" single though so I'm wondering if the 7" information is a typo on the email and on the website.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:29 AM, 6lake sa66ath said:

Did you guys receive  an email with this new bundle in it? 

I just got the email this morning and damnit, I went for the Premium after telling myself I would never join Nightrain again 

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

The small hole in the vinyl. Typically a 7” needs a 45rpm adapter 

While it's certainly common, I own a few 7" records (don't recall if the speed is 45 or 33) that don't require an adaptor. Simply, imo, they are not trying to pull a fast one on us when the description clearly reads its a 7".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

While it's certainly common, I own a few 7" records (don't recall if the speed is 45 or 33) that don't require an adaptor. Simply, imo, they are not trying to pull a fast one on us when the description clearly reads its a 7".

If you scroll up a bit on this page you can see the black and clear Hard Skool images side by side. You can see that the clear vinyl is depicted as being a 12" simply by looking at the playing area of the vinyl.

A 7" has way less space on it hence being limited to 2 or 3 songs per side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

I agree, I have a few 7” singles with the regular LP hole. I wonder why that was ever a thing in the first place? Lowering the raw material (vinyl) usage? Heading over to Google now…

the larger hole reduces wear and tear, especially important for the jukebox industry. Was also an RCA vs. Columbia format war, similar to VHS vs. Betamax. 

@RussTCB you probably knew all this?

Edited by DTV88
Research

10 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I agree, I have a few 7” singles with the regular LP hole. I wonder why that was ever a thing in the first place? Lowering the raw material (vinyl) usage? Heading over to Google now…

the larger hole reduces wear and tear, especially important for the jukebox industry. Was also an RCA vs. Columbia format war, similar to VHS vs. Betamax. 

@RussTCB you probably knew all this?

Yeah, I looked into the issue with the sizes of holes a while back. The short abser from what I remember is: the bigger hole is the fault of US jukeboxes. 

• Like 1

Regarding the writing credits for Hard Skool, although it hasn't appeared on ASCAP or any other similar databases yet, I saw on another forum that it appears on the database of Universal Music Publishing (which has Axl's publishing) and the credited writers are Axl, Slash, Duff, Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson and Josh Freese:

https://www.umusicpub.com/us/Digital-Music-Library/search/Hard Skool

So, I suppose that the credits to NuGnR members mean that the song doesn't originate from the 1996 sessions?

On the other hand, the press release said it was written by Axl, so maybe it pre-existed in its basic form and then the NuGnR members helped arrange it, so that's why they get credit.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

Ah ok thank you. Either 7" or 12", definitely not enough to lure me into joining :lol:

Exactly. No matter what size the single is (even though they've clearly put a 12" single in the picture), it's still just a lame triple dip on the same songs available elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The SOYL live track is different though right?

It's a live version, yeah but at the risk of being called a hater: I'm good with Axl's voice on the two different studio versions I have. I don't need a third (and probably inferior) version, ya know? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These motherfuckers, man, I swear. They know I love to waste my money. I buy this shit then keep it sealed in my AFD Locked N Loaded box. I swore I’d never get a Nightrain again ‘cause the piss poor customer service, never getting your swag on time (if at all), and terrible selection of tickets on presale. But at least they’re giving cool stuff this year with the inflated pricing. The only other time they had really cool membership merch was the AFD anniversary stuff. 

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The SOYL live track is different though right?

Quite likely to be the one from the AFD reissue I would have thought......

Sticking my thoughts in on the record itself- definitely, without a doubt, a 12 inch in the picture, but I wouldn't rule out at all that it will be a 7 inch that eventually turns up. 

One way or the other (either the picture or the description) it's a mess up. 

Edited by allwaystired

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's a live version, yeah but at the risk of being called a hater: I'm good with Axl's voice on the two different studio versions I have. I don't need a third (and probably inferior) version, ya know? 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Quite likely to be the one from the AFD reissue I would have thought......

Sticking my thoughts in on the record itself- definitely, without a doubt, a 12 inch in the picture, but I wouldn't rule out at all that it will be a 7 inch that eventually turns up. 

One way or the other (either the picture or the description) it's a mess up. 

I'm going to wait until people start getting theirs to find out then maybe I'll buy one.

• Like 2