Who plays the drums on Hard Skool?

Who plays the drums on Hard Skool?   

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Sosso changed the title to Who plays the drums on Hard Skool?
2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It is a totally different drum arrangement and part than the old leak so I am guessing Frank but need to hear it on my good speakers and cans to make a better judgement call

They could have used new arrangements from 2004/05 and Brain was still their drummer back then. 

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

They could have used new arrangements from 2004/05 and Brain was still their drummer back then. 

That is possible, like Absurd, however I am still leaning towards Frank because as of now I am assuming the new bass intro and parts trimmed from the Village Sessions version stem from Duff and Slash doing their thing with it and Frank doing his thing with that.  And the vibe and drum sound to me sounds more like whoever played on the "new" SOYL than it does Absurd IMO

Plus Brain I know mentioned how he re-recorded Josh's parts close to verbatim and this is fairly different so that just is my best guess atm

But this is GNR so who the hell knows lol.  It could be Brian drums with Absurd snare up 1db with Frank cymbal crashes :lol:

Edited by WhazUp

Just now, BillConnor_1982 said:

Probably a few high hat hits from Freese, bass drums from Brain, a few snares of Frank at 1:15, and maybe Kenny Aronoff during the breakdown between a bass hit from Frank and a snare sample from Silkworms

Adler cowbell samples from outtakes from the Appetite sessions too?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Maybe it'll say in the YouTube video description when it goes live later.

Yes, it'll say it if it's Brain. If it doesn't say anything and it's just "Guns N' Roses" it means it's Frank.

Same applies for other former members (some people have assumed that there's Buckethead guitars, but I don't think so).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rocco said:

I‘m 99% sure that the drums are programmed. They sound like every other modern metal band, way too clean, and there are some weird things going on that no real drummer would play, e.g. the sudden switch from hihat to the crash cymbal right before the first verse at around 0:15, 0:16ish. The cymbals sound kinda robotic as well. Like I said, pretty sure it‘s programmed as it‘s common practice nowadays, unfortunately.

PS: The drums on Absurd sound way more organic, even though it‘s a copy/paste job and I‘m sure there‘s some samples as well, but the overall groove feels organic.

Good theory. The drums could have been programmed by Brain / Melissa. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rocco said:

I‘m 99% sure that the drums are programmed. They sound like every other modern metal band, way too clean, and there are some weird things going on that no real drummer would play, e.g. the sudden switch from hihat to the crash cymbal right before the first verse at around 0:15, 0:16ish. The cymbals sound kinda robotic as well. Like I said, pretty sure it‘s programmed as it‘s common practice nowadays, unfortunately.

PS: The drums on Absurd sound way more organic, even though it‘s a copy/paste job and I‘m sure there‘s some samples as well, but the overall groove feels organic.

Came here to say this. They definitely sound programmed. I’m not sure why they didn’t just use the original drum track from the demo like they did with Absurd? The drums were 100 times better on the demo, I miss the little drum fills before the chorus.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rocco said:

To me sounds like a real drummer but quantisized on Pro Tools (which removes a lot of the soul and groove from the performance, obviously). 

To me it sounds like Frank's kit. But I'm no drummer.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Same applies for other former members (some people have assumed that there's Buckethead guitars, but I don't think so).

I'm fairly sure there's no Buckethead in this one. But Absurd had it in the intro, even though it seems like they were treating that as a sample.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm fairly sure there's no Buckethead in this one. But Absurd had it in the intro, even though it seems like they were treating that as a sample.

Yeah, that was a minuscule part on Absurd. But it doesn't seem there's anything like that on this one.

Do you think Richard is on this one or is it just Slash?