Who plays the drums on Hard Skool?

Who plays the drums on Hard Skool?   

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, nevergotochurch said:

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s Frank. And they also quantized the drums in pro tools. It honestly sounds kinda shitty. The Village sessions leak of the song has a way better drum performance and they’re insane for not using it. I really liked the fills before each chorus. The new drum track sucks. 

I agree - there’s so much to love about the song, but the drums are not one of them. 

ive said it before and will say it again- when you watch the Foo Fighters drummer smash his way through Its So Easy when they did that collaboration in Italy a couple years ago- you see just how much a difference it makes to the energy of GNR.

no issues with just dropping down a peg live to support Axl and vocals, as that makes sense, but on the studio version you should have some real energy on the drums.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:06 PM, James Bond said:

I want to say programmed, but I do think it might have started off as a human (probably Frank) and then got quantized beyond belief (likely to make it smoother for copy/pasting) as well as compressed to death. My only gripe with the song - the drums. Absurd's drums kicked ass.

That's what I'm thinking now too. The kick sounds like it was programmed by someone who doesn't actually play drums.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:32 PM, rocco said:

SOYL is 100% Adler, the cymbals and stereo field placement and especially the sound of the ride cymbal are just like all the other Appetite songs and I don't even think there's samples on the drums, they're just mixed differently / more modern / punchier. You can let drums sound totally different by mixing, e.g. you can download Rock Band or Guitar Hero Multitracks of old Purple or Zeppelin songs and make even the oldest recordings sound more modern by remixing them. And in '86/'87 they probably already used similar mics like an engineer would still use today, so it's just a matter of mixing it to modern taste, assuming they/Caram had full access to the multitracks of SOYL.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, Mendez said:

sidenote: I adamantly believe Adler played SOYL. Caram and Axl probably just put samples on all the drums minus the cymbals. And, as we have seen from these other 2 recent releases, made a sterile dry overly compressed drum mix

If it was Frank, no doubt he would have changed some fill to be more his style, but all the filles on SOYL are still Adlers fills

Caram wasn't involved with SOYL, that was mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. 

If you listen closely the drum part isn't completely the same as what Steven played back then in the live bootlegs and recordings. Compare the Sound City and Lies versions to the "new" version, Sound City and Lies are basically the same thing but one is faster, new version sounds to me like someone is trying to emulate the previous part but it's not identical. Why would Steven play those extra cymbal crashes when he didn't when the recorded it for Lies? That's the giveaway there.

• Like 1