Bad Apples

37 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

I love it but don't compare it to the likes of Bad Obsession, BOB or GOE. Those songs are bangers.

After having both illusions in heavy rotation lately just before the Hard Skool drop, hard skool for me sounds like a take from UYI3.

Hard disagree on BOB and BO. I had a lot of love for Bad Obsession when I first got into the band, but listening back to it now it's just kind of boring and not much happens in the song, nothing stands out unlike on Bad Apples that has several things that make it unique. Back off Bitch has a great intro but the rest of the song doesn't live up to it. However GOE I can definitely accept that people rate it over this, it's a whole different style of song, fast and ferocious, not really a groove-song. But that's what makes UYI so great, its not just one thing, so hard to compare.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I absolutely agree that it's underrated. And the fact they only played it twice didn't help it either. Cool song! 

A bit off topic, but you might not know the show the 2nd time they played it (Pantages theatre, May 11 1991) is special, it was filmed with not just pro shot, but movie quality film because director Marc Racco was hired to make videos for Brownstone and My Michelle from footage of that gig. Of course that's in a vault somewhere, but it's sort of my "holy grail" of GNR vault things because this song was in the set and hasn't been played since then. Can you imagine seeing a 1991 show in film quality? And then this rare song in there aswell. I bet GNR don't even realize what they got, that'll probably be the essential thing to watch for future generations when they want to know what GNR was.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

Great song.. I kind of always kind forget about it too but whenever it comes on I crank it.. It definitely has a uniqueness to it.. Love the lyrics, vibe and the solo.. cranking it now!! Thanks for making my Saturday morning that much better..

I used to actually have the Bad Apples T-shirt back in the day.. And the Dust N' Bones one.. And the COMA One...  loo

• Like 2

20 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think this song gets lost in the shuffle a lot due to the UYIs being so packed with songs, does anyone else think this track is severely underappreciated? A real insight into their life at the time. Many songs relate to Axls crazy, complicated, up and down life. I love the line "you'll be sucking down the clorox 'till your lifes all nice and crisp". The entire lyrics are like nothing else in the GNR catalogue, really almost funny and sarcastic, I think they are awesome.

Musically I can't really describe it better than the successor of Mr Brownstone. Slashs and Izzys riff interplay is immediately identifiable here but it's different, it's more funky than anything, maybe even Stones-ish. The solo just makes you laugh and go "WTF" at a certain point, and I don't think many people pay enough attention to realize what a heavy riff Slash plays at the ending of the last chorus (listen to it at 2:36-2:40, right channel), most badass part of the song. Also check out Izzys slide down the neck at 3:40 to close out the solo. These little details show how much work went into this song.

It's the only song on UYI written by the entire AFD lineup which is really special, and the live version from RIR is kickass too, if it weren't for that goddamn commentary. I wish the live version with the horns from the '92 rehearsal would have happened. IMO miles ahead over the likes of Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch and Garden of Eden.

Agree with all of this. BA is one of my 'go to' UYI songs, that chorus rocks, so melodic and goes on forever. Never understand why it didn't get more love from the fan community. The band obviously like it, as If they didn't, why was there a make shift video for It, and a tour shirt for it on UYI mammoth tour?

• Like 1

I don't know, seems like I'm going a bit against the grain here but I've always been a bit meh about this one.

One of the things that made me love GNR was how a song like NT could be so epic while celebrating how little they had. Obviously that's going to change by the time of UYI, but it always seemed a bit grating to go from being an urchin livin under the street to whinging about problems in spite of diamonds and fast cars and money to burn.

10 hours ago, King_Johnny said:

I don't know, seems like I'm going a bit against the grain here but I've always been a bit meh about this one.

One of the things that made me love GNR was how a song like NT could be so epic while celebrating how little they had. Obviously that's going to change by the time of UYI, but it always seemed a bit grating to go from being an urchin livin under the street to whinging about problems in spite of diamonds and fast cars and money to burn.

Is he whining though? Sounds very tongue in cheek to me. His tone sounds like he’s making fun of himself and others like him. That’s how I always took it. Always thought it was pretty clever.

Edited by J Dog
Needed a ? not a f’n !
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mystery said:

I think this question might have been answered here before, but was the video on YouTube created at the time or was it made much later? Isn't it just close up blurry footage from the Don't Cry video?

is a shame that they recycle the video from don t cry like that 

• Like 1