GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

45 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Fitz frankly might sound more like a GNR drummer than anyone they've had since Steven when it comes to nailing the sound.

His playing style is a perfect fit for GnR, and he can flawlessly play Steven's parts and Matt's parts.

I know people here don't really care for Myles, so let's use this as an example. This is almost like the record.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2021 at 6:06 AM, Slaveleft said:

I would take Axl on a worst Disney Day than that singer from Walmart.

To compare a lead singer from two very accomplished and successful bands in this manner is beyond moronic.

If the only criteria for qualifying for Walmart status is that you just don't care for their voice, then there are undoubtedly a myriad of singers currently in the Hall Of Fame that are from Walmart.

Hell, Axl Rose has millions of haters. He must be a Walmart singer too. Even in his prime.

There are far too many 12 year old basement living kids posting on this forum.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

His playing style is a perfect fit for GnR, and he can flawlessly play Steven's parts and Matt's parts.

I know people here don't really care for Myles, so let's use this as an example. This is almost like the record.

That's another thing I like about Todd Dammit Kerns is he has a pretty good voice, the video above showing that.

He also does a pretty decent job with WTTJ.

I mean, yeah, he's not a superb singer or anything and surely can't capture vintage AXL ... but he does a very good job with those 2 songs when SMKC performs them.

FWIW, Todd is a self-professed fan of DUFF and GN'R stating that they are among his all-time favorites. Says GN'R is in his top 3 all-time bands.

That makes sense considering how well he seems to know the songs.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 4

On 9/27/2021 at 7:43 AM, SoulMonster said:

Went to a SMKC show once. Left about halfway through. Mostly because I was so jetlagged but also because it was boringly generic rock with a singer that annoyed me. That has never happened to me at a GN'R show.

Yeah I remember that. Still of the opinion you kind of missed the show because you missed the most intense and best part of it. :P

• Like 1

If we’re talking both bands minus their singers, it’s sad to say, but SMKC all the way over GN’R at this point.

SMKC are tight as fuck and are an actual band that compliments each other. 

Guns, for the great players they are, just don’t gel or have that locked in groove. 

• Like 3

Judging by the musicality alone, and that's the OPs question, SMKC without a doubt.

If I had to choose only by the show without the consideration of different things, I'd probably go with GNR but since there's more than that, like lower ticket prices, the constant release of new music and, because of this, a completely new show with every tour, SMKC has good points for being preferenced.

I'm glad they don't tour simultaneously so I don't have to choose :lol:

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah I remember that. Still of the opinion you kind of missed the show because you missed the most intense and best part of it. :P

Could very well be. And I probably would have enjoyed the show more if it wasn't for how awful I felt. Normally I'd at least stay for the entire show just for the fun of it and Slash's playing.

• Like 2

GN'R, the most dangerous band of the world, lost his danger..........

SMKC is a band, a gang if you like, GN'R is just loose sand.

The only thing, i believe is true, in Matt's book.  that Slash said about GN'R,  "it's only a gig"

• Like 2

I can say that, Slash being my favorite guitarist, I love both bands. I just wonder, Axl what he thinks and feels, hearing GnR "his songs" sung by others with Slash, as he may not be able to do anymore. (I love Axl, and find Myles great).

44 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

The only thing, i believe is true, in Matt's book.  that Slash said about GN'R,  "it's only a gig"

This is a great show.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

Honestly it’d unfortunately be foolish of Slash to think of GNR these days as more than a gig. Albeit a very very well paying (and deservedly so) gig. He can’t force Axl to attend rehearsals, write new lyrics or lay down new vocals so it is what it is at this point. Probably how he looks at it. 

• Like 1

GNR for me, but that's just because the songs are far better.  

I love SMKC too, big fan of the albums, but can't stand when Todd sings GNR songs.  

the two shows are a different experience, but if I can only go to one, it's GNR

It depends on what you are going for. In the States, I don't think SMKC will ever play a large arena nor stadium. They seem more to be for small venues. I have seen them three times. I saw them twice at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ. I also saw them headline a food festival in Clark, NJ. That to me appears like they will never be in a bigger size venue. Myles has a good voice. I like the band.

GNR will always be a bigger name. They are an arena and stadium act with Slash and Duff back in the band. They have songs that everyone enjoys. SMKC is lacking those type of hit songs that everyone enjoys. Outside of GNR, the closest thing to a big name  for Slash was VR. 

I know Axl has bad days and everything. I get it.

But, Myles won't ever get close to this:

So GNR every day for me.

Myles in his best day is an acquired taste (for GNR songs at least, I like  some of AB and his solo stuff). Axl in his best day kills it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manfisman said:

I know Axl has bad days and everything. I get it.

But, Myles won't ever get close to this:

So GNR every day for me.

Myles in his best day is an acquired taste (for GNR songs at least, I like  some of AB and his solo stuff). Axl in his best day kills it

Yes, Myles will never reaches Axl's highs, but neither his lows. SMKC's shows are consistently good.

• Like 3