GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

23 hours ago, Robert39 said:

GN'R, the most dangerous band of the world, lost his danger..........

SMKC is a band, a gang if you like, GN'R is just loose sand.

The only thing, i believe is true, in Matt's book.  that Slash said about GN'R,  "it's only a gig"

Right. Except Matt respectfully left out “Only a gig to pay the bills and his divorce”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manfisman said:

I know Axl has bad days and everything. I get it.

But, Myles won't ever get close to this:

So GNR every day for me.

Myles in his best day is an acquired taste (for GNR songs at least, I like  some of AB and his solo stuff). Axl in his best day kills it

That Out ta get me was prime Axl ! And with the shirt like the old days skirt .... Fire

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 7:22 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

SMKC will blow away everything GNR &  Caram have produced. No doubt about it

In years gone by, I thought that an impossibility and held, axl the perfectionist, in high quality control regard. But these two releases has popped that illusion. Now that's a shame given I love gnr so much. 

Poor mixing aside, The more I listen to released HS the more one dimensional the song becomes. I don't really how else to say it, does that make sense? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

In years gone by, I thought that an impossibility and held, axl the perfectionist, in high quality control regard. But these two releases has popped that illusion. Now that's a shame given I love gnr so much. 

Poor mixing aside, The more I listen to released HS the more one dimensional the song becomes. I don't really how else to say it, does that make sense? 

It makes perfect sense to me. I stopped listening to Hard Skool. Between the subpar production, the drums and the lack of depth. I actually listened to Absurd a lot more

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 11:22 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

SMKC will blow away everything GNR &  Caram have produced. No doubt about it

Ideally I want like a perfect medium of the two - the production and sonic presentation of the SMKC albums which have great production with the rhythm section sounds, with Axl and the blend of his ideas and Slash/Duff's

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, jimisbatman said:

That is what happens when you are forced to piece together a song they way they did..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is what happens when you are forced to piece together a song they way they did..

When folk talk about the ‘piecing together the song’ I’m not actually convinced that’s really a case here - the vocal track is clearly the original from 1999…but almost everything else is freshly recorded. So whilst there is clearly a guide because of the original demo (similar structure and whatnot) everything has been re-recorded from the ground up with the original vocals used.

So I don’t see it as a piece together. That said - the mix is weird. Vocals are too far back until post-solo where they appear to be more up front. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

When folk talk about the ‘piecing together the song’ I’m not actually convinced that’s really a case here - the vocal track is clearly the original from 1999…but almost everything else is freshly recorded. So whilst there is clearly a guide because of the original demo (similar structure and whatnot) everything has been re-recorded from the ground up with the original vocals used.

So I don’t see it as a piece together. That said - the mix is weird. Vocals are too far back until post-solo where they appear to be more up front. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was about to post the same. Exactly, aside from the vocal track - and partly the structure - everything else is new.

I don't think the song would have been different musically if Axl had re-recorded the vocals.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I was about to post the same. Exactly, aside from the vocal track - and partly the structure - everything else is new.

I don't think the song would have been different musically if Axl had re-recorded the vocals.

But I'd love it if the guys were acting like a real band and were working together in one room on new songs. Maybe that happened, maybe there is a new record finished and maybe it doesn’t include only CD leftovers. I'd love it, but the communication between this band and their fans is just annoying.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, jimisbatman said:

The demo seemed less one dimensional. They shouldn't have deviated from it so much.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'd like that, too (and Ι don't think being in one room would be a necessary condition to work on new songs). I'd want them to write something new that would represent who they are as band currently, something "mature" which could be, for example, a combination of some stripped down acoustic stuff (like a mature Lies) and some Axl piano driven or a bit more "complex" stuff. I really think they could create something really good if they went to that direction.

If they tried to write rockers in the vein of AFD, though, I honestly don't think they would come up with anything better than Hard Skool, which is not bad, of course - it's a good/decent rock song, although not at the level of their top notch material. Actually, most of the comments I've heard or read from casual fans who heard HS without knowing anything about its story or alleged origins have been favorable saying that it's what they would expect an Axl-Slash song to sound like.

In my head - I can see them excelling at a Led Zep III type of thing. A single album which has a complete variety of styles (rockers/acoustic/epicy). Using the Led Zep comparison again - ideally it would be like Physical Graffiti which is just as varied….but is just much longer/more songs. 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

no, Myles sings the chorus in a lower octave. I don't like this. Myles in 2010 was way better

He does that to save his voice so he can hit higher notes when it really counts (unlike Axl). I think now that he's had a year off from constant touring he'll be more willing to go for the high notes every night; on that tour he was noticeably conserving his voice.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Martin Riggs said:

Compare this kinda footage to the GNR selects that they seemingly haphazardly uploaded for the world to view. For how big GNR is they’ve unfortunately let rank amateurs operate their business:

That is what a rock and roll band should look like!

• Like 2

SMKC are great live, but the crowd is always DEAD. There's nothing enjoyable about stood with a few thousand other people just nodding along waiting for a GNR track.

GNR are decent for the most part. The fast pace of the songs last time I saw them annoyed me a little, and there are obviously the issues with Axl's voice & volume of effects you tend to hear live - but the song list encourages a great gig experience. 

Tighter band & musically - Slash & Myles.

Better Gig? GNR.