GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Interesting. Is there an Axl fronted version of this song from the last 20 years that tops this performance?

Despite SCOM being Myles' best GnR song (or, rather, the only one he does some justice to, imho) and although Axl hasn't been outstanding on it since the '80s (I particularly don't like the "ooh's" he has added after the chorus along the way in live performances), I much prefer this version, vocally, hands down.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Martin Riggs said:

Interesting. Is there an Axl fronted version of this song from the last 20 years that tops this performance?

like 200. or exact number of performances, whatever it is. myles is so terrible and soulless to me.

but the sad fact is gnr never have this kind of quality video recording, such a shame, even cover bands performing at the bars have better quality videos.

Compared to 87-93 GNR (and really, that's the only fair comparison because that's when GNR was still making music and functioning as a real band), SMKC seems like the Brady Bunch. Way too corporate. Way too safe. No edge. No danger etc. It's like they're caricatures of a rock band, rather than the real thing.

Edited by Nintari

2 minutes ago, Nintari said:

Compared to 87-93 GNR (and really, that's the only fair comparison because that's when GNR was still making music and functioning as a real band), SMKC seems like the Brady Bunch. Way too corporate. Way too safe. In that way, they sort of seem like caricatures of a rock band, rather than the real thing.

No, this was about musically comparing the current bands that are both existing in the here and now. Who sounds better on a live stage. It’s not about perceived image. 

5 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

No, this was about musically comparing the current bands that are both existing in the here and now. Who sounds better on a live stage. It’s not about perceived image. 

I wasn't talking about image either. Axl and that band were actually what they purported to be. Riots, fights, mayhem and violence... not to mention how fucking over-the-top aggressive they were. It was like a time-bomb just waiting to go off at any minute, and you could hear that manic tension via their music on most nights. 

If you compare that to SMKC, it's like comparing Debbie Gibson to the Sex Pistols. Not possible.

But if we're just talking current GNR (which again, is unfair), then it gets much closer. But GNR still sounds edgier to me. Still has a lot more bite to it. Sure, they're nothing compared to what they once were, but it's still far closer to what I consider to be rock music than what SMKC is. Far closer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I wasn't talking about image either. Axl and that band were actually what they purported to be. Riots, fights, mayhem and violence... not to mention how fucking over-the-top aggressive they were. It was like a time-bomb just waiting to go off at any minute, and you could hear that manic tension via their music on most nights. 

If you compare that to SMKC, it's like comparing Debbie Gibson to the Sex Pistols. Not possible.

But if we're just talking current GNR (which again, is unfair), then it gets much closer. But GNR still sounds edgier to me. Still has a lot more bite to it. Sure, they're nothing compared to what they once were, but it's still far closer to what I consider to be rock music than what SMKC is. Far closer.

I’m not quite sure what you find unfair about comparing current GNR to SMKC. That was the point of the thread, but whatever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I’m not quite sure what you find unfair about comparing current GNR to SMKC. That was the point of the thread, but whatever. 

I don't find it fair because you're trying to compare a newer band which writes, records and releases new music to one that is edging close to forty years old and only tours. They're just so different in so many ways.

But there's nothing wrong with doing it, if that's what you want to do. I didn't mean any disrespect.

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

I don't find it fair because you're trying to compare a newer band which writes, records and releases new music to one that is edging close to forty years old and only tours. They're just so different in so many ways.

But there's nothing wrong with doing it, if that's what you want to do. I didn't mean any disrespect.

But comparing a young hungry band from the streets to a band full of rich dudes in their 50s isn't a fair competition either.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:59 PM, Nintari said:

SMKC seems like the Brady Bunch.

What the hell are Mumford and Sons in that case? :lol: 

7 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I just like bands that release music, unless they're dead

Hey even Prince has been more productive in releasing new music since his death in 2016, compared to GNR in 2016 lol

On 10/29/2021 at 6:59 PM, Nintari said:

Compared to 87-93 GNR (and really, that's the only fair comparison because that's when GNR was still making music and functioning as a real band), SMKC seems like the Brady Bunch. Way too corporate. Way too safe. No edge. No danger etc. It's like they're caricatures of a rock band, rather than the real thing.

You can't compare a bunch of dangerous guys in their 20s to more mature guys in their 50s (except Frank).

On 10/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, Nintari said:

But GNR still sounds edgier to me. Still has a lot more bite to it.

Well we know who makes it sound that way (hint: he's in SMKC too).

2001 performances of SCOM tick the boxes for me, though I'll take any performance that doesn't have Miles holding a microphone...and that's including the Golden Gods performance! Thank you DJ by take care of us.

'86/'87 and 2001 are peak Sweet Child for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

2001 performances of SCOM tick the boxes for me, though I'll take any performance that doesn't have Miles holding a microphone...and that's including the Golden Gods performance! Thank you DJ by take care of us.

'86/'87 and 2001 are peak Sweet Child for me.

Who ist this Miles guy?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

With solo played like they did it can't be true.

It's all subjective, so naturally I'd disagree. I've a lot of love for the two January shows from 2001. Rio boasts my favourite ever version of November Rain - Finck's solo on that song is in my top 3 favourite GNR solos.

It's not subjective if it comes to classics, which shouldn't be ever played differently than the original if you're doing this for money. All Slash's classic solos that encouraged thousands of people to pick up a guitar have been butchered by every single GNR guitarist after him in this band. If we've switched the name 'Guns N' Roses' for 'Led Zeppelin' and 'November Rain' for 'Stairway to Heaven' nobody would call Fink's/Bucket's/Bumble's/4tus'/Ashba's version of the solo as something fresh or unique but a freakin' abomination, and that's what it is. There are songs that you just don't touch with your own creativity but pay respect to guys who wrote the piece, and that's what SMKC have been doing since 2010, considering GNR, Snakepit or VR stuff. Unfortunately I can't say that about NuGNR, including Axel, which was disrespectful to their own material, especially AFD. Songs from that album have turned into something 100% different than it should (and did) represent for decades. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1