GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

1 hour ago, Beto 22 said:

Yeah... It's never Slash fault... The only common factor between the bands...

Sure...

To me Myles is what makes SMKC sound vanilla.. Musically they are great.. I don't think Guns music sounds vanilla so I don't know what your point is.. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

It's not subjective if it comes to classics, which shouldn't be ever played differently than the original if you're doing this for money. All Slash's classic solos that encouraged thousands of people to pick up a guitar have been butchered by every single GNR guitarist after him in this band. If we've switched the name 'Guns N' Roses' for 'Led Zeppelin' and 'November Rain' for 'Stairway to Heaven' nobody would call Fink's/Bucket's/Bumble's/4tus'/Ashba's version of the solo as something fresh or unique but a freakin' abomination, and that's what it is. There are songs that you just don't touch with your own creativity but pay respect to guys who wrote the piece, and that's what SMKC have been doing since 2010, considering GNR, Snakepit or VR stuff. Unfortunately I can't say that about NuGNR, including Axel, which was disrespectful to their own material, especially AFD. Songs from that album have turned into something 100% different than it should (and did) represent for decades. 

It IS subjective though, that's your opinion and exactly what you mention about the GNR alumni is what some accuse Slash of these days with the material on Chinese. Swings and roundabouts etc etc

16 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

So 'some' consider ChD stuff as classic as AFD/UYI? Damn that hit me hard.

there are rules now? it's rock n' roll, not classical music. You should be able to totally inject your personality and express your own style and that's what Slash did with CD material as well.

changed Robin's solo in Better for example. Why? because it's not something Slash would play. If Slash can change Ain't Talkin' About Love in the hall of fame VR performance, than AFD shouldn't be sacred either. You can choose to respect the material live and play it 1:1 but that would make cool moments like Bucket's Nightrain outro, KOHD solo, and his NR outro impossible or Robin's Patience solo.

I find that musicians that have a lot of personality and a unique style go for it more. Look at DJ: he didn't deviate too much from what Slash played. Just simplified it and saved the creativity to his solo spots. That's not as exciting to me as what Robin, Bucket, and Slash did.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

So 'some' consider ChD stuff as classic as AFD/UYI? Damn that hit me hard.

Believe it or not, there are people out there that rank Chinese higher than those albums - that doesn't mean to say it's better or worse, it's all a matter of preference and is totally subjective. That said, I find it ridiculous that because you appear to not rank Chinese very highly, Slash get's pass marks for his efforts (or alleged lack there of) on the solos that have at times been underwhelming, yet Finck and Bucket putting their own feel onto the solo's gets slated because those albums are favourites of yours - you'd have better going to see a tribute band if you didn't want different interpretations of songs in a live setting, or just throw on the records themselves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

It's not subjective if it comes to classics, which shouldn't be ever played differently than the original if you're doing this for money. All Slash's classic solos that encouraged thousands of people to pick up a guitar have been butchered by every single GNR guitarist after him in this band. If we've switched the name 'Guns N' Roses' for 'Led Zeppelin' and 'November Rain' for 'Stairway to Heaven' nobody would call Fink's/Bucket's/Bumble's/4tus'/Ashba's version of the solo as something fresh or unique but a freakin' abomination, and that's what it is. There are songs that you just don't touch with your own creativity but pay respect to guys who wrote the piece, and that's what SMKC have been doing since 2010, considering GNR, Snakepit or VR stuff. Unfortunately I can't say that about NuGNR, including Axel, which was disrespectful to their own material, especially AFD. Songs from that album have turned into something 100% different than it should (and did) represent for decades. 

It's one thing to dislike somebodys voice but pretending to prefer horrendous performances like Golden Gods, which are dreadful performances vocally from every point of view, is not a matter of taste but just laughable and unreliable. To provoke by misspelling Myles' name intentionally shows that it's just a poor attempt of trolling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's one thing to dislike somebodys voice but pretending to prefer horrendous performances like Golden Gods, which are dreadful performances vocally from every point of view, is not a matter of taste but just laughable and unreliable. To provoke by misspelling Myles' name intentionally shows that it's just a poor attempt of trolling.

Miles or Myles, both common types of spelling here in the UK. A misspelling on my part, if it caused you any harm or unrest, I can only apologize. That level of pettiness is not something I'd go for, nor would I ever be offended or hurt at someone misspelling Axl's name for example - or even Finck's for that matter, which your man done just a few posts above! Is he trolling? You be the judge, though it seems you're somewhat skewed in that regard.

Edited by Dean
Spelling edit - best play ball here.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Believe it or not, there are people out there that rank Chinese higher than those albums - that doesn't mean to say it's better or worse, it's all a matter of preference and is totally subjective. That said, I find it ridiculous that because you appear to not rank Chinese very highly, Slash get's pass marks for his efforts (or alleged lack there of) on the solos that have at times been underwhelming, yet Finck and Bucket putting their own feel onto the solo's gets slated because those albums are favourites of yours - you'd have better going to see a tribute band if you didn't want different interpretations of songs in a live setting, or just throw on the records themselves.

Slash has butchered plenty of his own classic solos over the last few years, nevermind the solos he's covered, but his fanboys give him a pass because "he's a legend" which means everything he touches is gold. :jerkoff:

If you took the audio from any NITL performance of This I Love, for example, and told somebody that DJ Ashba was playing the solo, they'd say it was shit. Same with Yesterdays, TWAT, etc.

Fact is, Bucket's solos on Nightrain or KOHD, or Finck's solos on Better or CD, were better than any solos Slash has played on those songs since coming back. There were some parts that the CD members simply played better than Slash.

Having said that - Slash is absolutely the highlight of the reunion. But it's annoying when people pretend he's flawless, or that the CD members were bad because they didn't play like Slash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash has butchered plenty of his own classic solos over the last few years, nevermind the solos he's covered, but his fanboys give him a pass because "he's a legend" which means everything he touches is gold. :jerkoff:

If you took the audio from any NITL performance of This I Love, for example, and told somebody that DJ Ashba was playing the solo, they'd say it was shit. Same with Yesterdays, TWAT, etc.

Fact is, Bucket's solos on Nightrain or KOHD, or Finck's solos on Better or CD, were better than any solos Slash has played on those songs since coming back. There were some parts that the CD members simply played better than Slash.

Having said that - Slash is absolutely the highlight of the reunion. But it's annoying when people pretend he's flawless, or that the CD members were bad because they didn't play like Slash.

Go learn what the word fact means.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Agreed. Axl was a juggernaut in 2016 and I felt they were killing it for the most part collectively, night after night and that is hard to maintain year in year out and must be taxing for the likes of Axl, but the one constant for me is how much Slash and 4tus compliment each other. They are a great pairing live and I never got bored of seeing them do Wish You Were Here.

This last run was probably as tight as they’ve ever been though, everyone for the most part seemed to agree after Axl found form.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yet he wrote them and he can fuck'em in the ass if he wants, exactly how Page did with his LEGENDARY solos live.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Oh yeah? So why the SMKC is so vanilla?

Well only certain people think SMKC is vanilla. Usually those people haven't really listened to all their material in depth.

3 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

Yet he wrote them and he can fuck'em in the ass if he wants, exactly how Page did with his LEGENDARY solos live.

100% agree

Personally I still think most of the Myles hate is just because he's not Axl. Doesn't matter if it was anyone else in his place they would still be disliked because they're not Axl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Personally I still think most of the Myles hate is just because he's not Axl. Doesn't matter if it was anyone else in his place they would still be disliked because they're not Axl.

Personally I think people like SMKC because of Slash. Doesn't matter how stock and uninspiring his solos are, they still like because its Slash

31 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well only certain people think SMKC is vanilla. Usually those people haven't really listened to all their material in depth.

100% agree

I want to like SMKC but Myles ruins it for me. There's a few good songs on each album though. I have the same issue with the Snakepit albums, I think those are generally better than SMKC albums but they're not albums I listen to very often.

Definitely disagree about the Myles hate being related to Axl... there's other singer's on the S/T album or in general that would be a much better fit with Slash. Myles turns what could be really good songs, into Shinedown-tier songs featuring Slash. Like others have said, he's safe and boring.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

there are rules now? it's rock n' roll, not classical music. You should be able to totally inject your personality and express your own style and that's what Slash did with CD material as well.

changed Robin's solo in Better for example. Why? because it's not something Slash would play. If Slash can change Ain't Talkin' About Love in the hall of fame VR performance, than AFD shouldn't be sacred either. You can choose to respect the material live and play it 1:1 but that would make cool moments like Bucket's Nightrain outro, KOHD solo, and his NR outro impossible or Robin's Patience solo.

I find that musicians that have a lot of personality and a unique style go for it more. Look at DJ: he didn't deviate too much from what Slash played. Just simplified it and saved the creativity to his solo spots. That's not as exciting to me as what Robin, Bucket, and Slash did.

lol the audacity to mix  Robin  Fink with Slash/Bucket.  Wasn't  exciting seeing Ashba injecting personality into CD songs? (everybody likes to shit on the guy, but he is a bigger name than fink, and is not limited/or used as a live player in his other bands anf the better songwriter)

absolutly nothing special about him, just an ok ish.. player. not one to be remembered,  except for Axl most loyal fans.

Does anybody remember who replaced Joe Perry in Aerosmith?  yeah kind of the same situation here

I really hope Axl/Slash/Duff can get a good record out and  get CD songs off the setlist.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Definitely disagree about the Myles hate being related to Axl... 

Agreed, I have probably tried harder than I should have in the past to convince myself to like him more than I do... I want to like everything Slash does and I do really enjoy decent ammount of the SMKC stuff.. After 3 albums though, it just kind of ot what it is at this point. It has nothing to do with Axl for me. I really haven't been much of a fan of his in ages.. 

Still looking forward to listening to their new album.. If it is good, I will buy it. 

1 hour ago, Beto 22 said:

Personally I think people like SMKC because of Slash. Doesn't matter how stock and uninspiring his solos are, they still like because its Slash

I can only speak for myself here; I followed Slash's initial solo tour from the beginning because I am a Slash fan, however, by the time WOF came out I was a fan of the band as a whole, not just into it because of Slash. I've seen Todd solo, Toque, etc and at this point a huge part of me being into SMKC is because of those 2. So yeah I started out liking SMKC because of Slash but it's become much more for me.

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

Im afraid you're not aware how big Myles/Alter Bridge fanbase is.

The problem is I'm aware... Much smaller than the previous band of Myles bandmates. And if fanbase is an approval parameter it would be better for Slash to have picked Fergie instead of Myles.

Edited by Beto 22

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I can only speak for myself here; I followed Slash's initial solo tour from the beginning because I am a Slash fan, however, by the time WOF came out I was a fan of the band as a whole, not just into it because of Slash. I've seen Todd solo, Toque, etc and at this point a huge part of me being into SMKC is because of those 2. So yeah I started out liking SMKC because of Slash but it's become much more for me.

Todd is the best thing on Conspirators... And personally I think he sings better than Myles

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agreed, I have probably tried harder than I should have in the past to convince myself to like him more than I do... I want to like everything Slash does and I do really enjoy decent ammount of the SMKC stuff.. After 3 albums though, it just kind of ot what it is at this point. It has nothing to do with Axl for me. I really haven't been much of a fan of his in ages.. 

Still looking forward to listening to their new album.. If it is good, I will buy it. 

Myles is one of those guys who's obviously unique and talented but plays it too safe. A lot of his melodies are repetitive and bland, at this point you know exactly what to expect from him. I'm pretty sure one album with either Chris Cornell or Lemmy would've been better than all SMKC albums combined. Andrew Stockdale or M Shadows would've been good choices too, or someone like Corey Taylor, Eric Nally (Foxy Shazam), Jon Harvey (Monster Truck), Baz, etc.

Not including live albums, Living The Dream is the only Slash album I don't own. I want SMKC to be better than a generic rock band. I don't have high expectations for 4 though.

• Like 2