GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

On 11/1/2021 at 12:31 AM, Free Bird said:

It's totally legitimate to like BH's Nightrain solo more than the original for what it is, but whoever prefers it over Slash's, doesn't "feel" GNR and what they stood for IMO.

To me, GNR was at their best when they were playing live, and it sounded as if every member was hanging on by mere threads. That at any moment, said thread could snap and everything would collapse and all hell would completely break loose. Sometimes that thread did snap, and all hell literally did break loose. But most of the times, it held--just barely. And that's what I think of when I think of how GNR is suppose to feel. It's also why, regardless of how awesome Buckethead is (and I truly think he is), he wasn't a good fit. GNR is suppose to sound disjointed, edgy, slightly out of step and violent. None of those things describe Buckethead.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Nintari said:

To me, GNR was at their best when they were playing live, and it sounded as if every member was hanging on by mere threads. That at any moment, said thread could snap and everything would collapse and all hell would completely break loose. Sometimes that thread did snap, and all hell literally did break loose. But most of the times, it held--just barely. And that's what I think of when I think of how GNR is suppose to feel. It's also why, regardless of how awesome Buckethead is (and I truly think he is), he wasn't a good fit. GNR is suppose to sound disjointed, edgy, slightly out of step and violent. None of those things describe Buckethead.

Perfectly put! The attitude and brotherhood and, yes, unhinged sloppiness was, in essence, what made GNR. Any performance could be the last. All the technical proficiency in the world can’t replicate that buzz and energy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dangelus said:

Perfectly put! The attitude and brotherhood and, yes, unhinged sloppiness was, in essence, what made GNR. Any performance could be the last. All the technical proficiency in the world can’t replicate that buzz and energy.

True, but that's dead and gone anyway at this point. :/

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:13 AM, Ralphelmo said:

Being a fan of a 8 piece circus with Mickey fronting it is an example of having good taste in the first place.

Axl's voice was weak in 2002 but it was not Mickey, which did not appear until 2011.

Myles Kennedy's songwriting is discount Shinedown radio rock, not an ounce of creativity contained. But go on.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:31 AM, Free Bird said:

In my ears it is. 

What BH plays is freaking awesome from a technical point of view, that's undeniable. But it's just not the right fit in my opinion. It's too sterile and it lacks the passion that's needed for a song like Nightrain. It's technically perfect, but it's also incongruous.

It's totally legitimate to like BH's Nightrain solo more than the original for what it is, but whoever prefers it over Slash's, doesn't "feel" GNR and what they stood for IMO.

I do not prefer it to Slash's, I simply find calling it an "abomination" an insane piece of hyperbole. I understand the concept of it not fitting the song as well, because Nightrain is a sleazy rock n roll track and Bucket's solo may sound a bit out of place on it, but I don't think it ruins the track at all and actually adds a interesting different spin on it.

I'm specifically referring to Bucket's Albany Nightrain solo, I can't comment on the other Nightrain solos he did nor his takes on other classic Appetite/UYI solos as I'm not overly familiar with them.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 2

Myles is writing masterpieces like Blackbird, Fortress and Cry Of Achilles. Axl has just released Absurd.

Yes Axl’s high points in songwriting (mostly from the 80’s and early 90’s) exceed Myles but let’s not pretend Myles has ever hit lows as bad as Scraped or Absurd.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, North Korean Democracy said:

I think that poor Slash has had enough experiences with great frontmen who were also a big pain in the ass so now that he found one that's a chill and unproblematic guy he won't let him go.

I think that's the biggest reason and as much as I love their records the music suffers from that decision IMO

5 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

Has Axl ever said anything about Myles? Ever acknowledged his existence? I would be curious to hear what he thinks of the SMKC albums. Or better yet, what he thought of Myles' performance at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. 

No, he didn't. I'm pretty sure SMKC does nothing for him, except a couple of Slash's riffs and solos.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Myles Kennedy's songwriting is discount Shinedown radio rock, not an ounce of creativity contained. But go on.

Ignorance indeed is a disease.

6 hours ago, Dangelus said:

Personally I’d love to see Myles guest at a Guns show. I imagine you’d get an amazing duet between him and Axl.

I always wondered which song they'd do. Starlight to honor Myles/Slash collaboration (their first song done together)? Anastasia? Ghost (I think Axl would sound good on this)?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ralphelmo said:

Ignorance indeed is a disease.

I always wondered which song they'd do. Starlight to honor Myles/Slash collaboration (their first song done together)? Anastasia? Ghost (I think Axl would sound good on this)?

I’ve always thought the end of The Unholy was made for a full rasp Axl.

”The broken how they cry…”

Edited by Dangelus

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 11:04 AM, Martin Riggs said:

So I’ve been on a SMKC kick tonight for the first time in years and it got me wondering..with GNR currently touring and releasing a few new songs and SMKC releasing music soon and likely touring…who do you honestly think is a better band musically in recent years? Not history or even necessarily songs in and of themselves..but say since 2016 to now who is a more impressive band live?

Good question to judge them on recent history. I think SMKC have way better chemistry on stage and are undoubtedly more creative in terms of new music. I love Duff but Todd is really good and a pretty good singer. 

One of the big problems with Guns is Frank on drums. Fitzy is way better.

The excitement of the reunion has well gone now. When I'm at a Guns show I know which song is coming next where SMKC I don't and every tour has featured new original material.

Definitely SMKC for me.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 12:35 PM, Free Bird said:

I think Slither doesn't need to be dropped for Anastasia. There are enough other songs that can be replaced, like The Seeker.

This Sidney version is probably the best thing Slash has ever played in his entire life.

Yikes you like Axl doing Slither? 'Here come the water ...' is Axl at his worst

On 9/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, Martin Riggs said:

Compare this kinda footage to the GNR selects that they seemingly haphazardly uploaded for the world to view. For how big GNR is they’ve unfortunately let rank amateurs operate their business:

Yes this is a fantastic recording. Even with them 10 minute jams.

This was the only UK show I didn't go to on the tour. I really wish I'd went 

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Axl needs to improve on a lot of songs

Haha fair point 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, Slaveleft said:

This is like comparing Nirvana to Foo Fighters.

I would take Axl on a worst Disney Day than that singer from Walmart.

Fair enough. You must be a big Disney fan.

What about ... you know ... the rest of the band? Do you think Guns have better chemistry on stage? Do you think Frank is better than Fitzy?

On 9/27/2021 at 6:43 AM, SoulMonster said:

Went to a SMKC show once. Left about halfway through. Mostly because I was so jetlagged but also because it was boringly generic rock with a singer that annoyed me. That has never happened to me at a GN'R show.

Generic Rock! Make sure your ears stay away from AC/DC

• Like 1