What songs has vocals after 1999

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I don't know. My hope is they completed it. I feel like it could be one of the strongest GN'R songs if it had a proper vocal take, mix, and guitar solo.

I've never heard it mentioned by that name in anything shared with me.

Agreed.

I think it would have been an absolute standout in an era where they worked on so many average to poor songs.

I've never heard it mentioned since either - apart from some who say they believe it was given a complete makeover and parts of it form The General.

My personal belief is someone else wrote it in it's entirety, and they left and it was scrapped.

12 minutes ago, Pele said:

My personal belief is someone else wrote it in it's entirety, and they left and it was scrapped.

This explanation doesn't sound at all plausible, because most of those members were not songwriters (in the sense of writing complete songs with music and lyrics, like Izzy, for example). The only one songwriter in that sense was Stinson, and he stuck around until the end.

Just now, Blackstar said:

This explanation doesn't sound at all plausible, because most of those members were not songwriters (in the sense of writing complete songs with music and lyrics, like Izzy, for example). The only one songwriter in that sense was Stinson, and he stuck around until the end.

It might be wrong.  I'd disagree on your point though, I'd imagine Tobias and Fink have written many songs on their own in the past.  Just maybe not released many.  I don't know who the principal writer for Mank Rage was?

What's your guess on why the song didn't come out?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think Axl is releasing songs in descending order of greatness? 

Because if he had good songs, I think he'd release them.

I always said, the writing was on the wall in 2001 when they played Silkwoms, Riad and to an extent Chinese.  I said if these 3 are a sign of things to come, there are two scenarios:

• There isn't as many songs as we suspect
  • The songs they are working on are of a poor standard

I think it ended up being a combination of both.  30 years with just one album of new material, and they completed Silkworms (over and over), Atlas, If the World, Scraped, Catcher, Riad, Shacklers?  If there are more completed unreleased stuff that were deemed backup to these, I'd hate to speculate how bad they may be.

I think Eye on You and Nothing probably gives an example of how far he got with the leftovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

It might be wrong.  I'd disagree on your point though, I'd imagine Tobias and Fink have written many songs on their own in the past.  Just maybe not released many.  I don't know who the principal writer for Mank Rage was?

What's your guess on why the song didn't come out?

Finck's only output apart from CD is, if I'm not mistaken, a soundtrack (with writing credit) and a NIN album (no writing credit). Of course he may have written material on his own but we don't know that, and, as far as we know, he didn't write lyrics for GnR.

All lyrics for Mank Rage were written by Dave Lank. I don't know if Tobias wrote all the music - it probably was collaborative.

State of Grace is quite simple musically, as far as I can hear; basically the same riff all through, no solos. It's the vocal melodies that elevate it. Tobias may have had a hand in writing the music, but the absence of solos makes me think that no other guitarist was involved in writing it (I may be wrong, of course). We don't know if it was abandoned. But if it was (which would be a shame), it could just be that Axl didn't like it as much. Axl's idea of what is good and bad is not necessarily the same as yours or mine, or the fans' in general.

Edited by Blackstar

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Finck's only output apart from CD is, if I'm not mistaken, a soundtrack (with writing credit) and a NIN album (no writing credit). Of course he may have written material on his own but we don't know that, and, as far as we know, he didn't write lyrics for GnR.

All lyrics for Mank Rage were written by Dave Lank. I don't know if Tobias wrote all the music - it probably was collaborative.

State of Grace is quite simple musically, as far as I can hear; basically the same riff all through, no solos. It's the vocal melodies that elevate it. Tobias may have had a hand in writing the music, but the absence of solos makes me think that no other guitarist was involved in writing it (I may be wrong, of course). We don't know if it was abandoned. But if it was (which would be a same), it could just be that Axl didn't like it as much. Axl's idea of what is good and bad is not necessarily the same as yours or mine, or the fans' in general.

I think Fink has a solo album pending release.

But yeah - could be as simple as that Rose just doesn't like it.  Which would be odd given that he's stuck with objectively much lesser tracks but up to him.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So because you personally don't like Absurd, it means Axl don't have other songs finished, haha. 

Because it's beyond shit yet he has had it re-recorded by at least 3 lineups - so that suggests there isn't much to be worked on.

Keep waiting for your imaginary songs while they serve up Atlas Shrugged next year :lol:

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Because it's beyond shit yet he has had it re-recorded by at least 3 lineups - so that suggests there isn't much to be worked on.

To sane people, the fact that Axl has worked on Absurd on numerous times over the last 20+ years, that it was one of the first songs he debuted in 2001 when he had other songs finished, and that it was the first single released after CD when he still has other songs finished, suggest the song means a lot to Axl. To you, it all means Axl has run out of music :lol:

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

To sane people, the fact that Axl has worked on Absurd on numerous times over the last 20+ years, that it was one of the first songs he debuted in 2001 when he had other songs finished, and that it was the first single released after CD when he still has other songs finished, suggest the song means a lot to Axl. To you, it all means Axl has run out of music :lol:

Lesser of two evils really.

If Silkworms still means a lot to him - imagine the quality of the songs that don't mean as much.

He released it because it exists.  

He released it because he could get away with not having to do any more work on it himself.

At this point, I cannot believe anyone would be naive enough to STILL be expecting new songs.  When he released Atlas, you'll still be telling us new songs are probably on their way :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Pele said:

Lesser of two evils really.

If Silkworms still means a lot to him - imagine the quality of the songs that don't mean as much. 

Like State of Grace? It is obvious Axl has unique preferences when it comes to music, like every other human being. Kind of sad you are learning this so late in your life. 

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Like State of Grace? It is obvious Axl has unique preferences when it comes to music, like every other human being. Kind of sad you are learning this so late in your life. 

Yes, like the ONE song that doesn't seem to fit either theory, which led to my speculation that it may have been written by someone else.

• Haha 1

Axl legit said when asked years ago that Silkworms was gonna be released and would be on the next album, quite a few times. Acting like him releasing it means anything other than he's always wanted to and has said so repeatedly doesn't make much sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pele said:

At this point, I cannot believe anyone would be naive enough to STILL be expecting new songs.  When he released Atlas, you'll still be telling us new songs are probably on their way :lol:

One of these days a hoarder who still prowls these forums will leak their catalog in frustration over your strong beliefs.

So, I'll thank you in advance. :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pele said:

State of Grace is interesting - huge potential.  Mystery as to why it was omitted from Chinese when it seemed so close to completion.  We may never know.  I speculate the overall reason may be one of the following:

• Written completely by an ex-member who since left the band
  • Re-worked into The General somehow
  • Axl felt it was hard to sing, wouldn't be able to pull it off live and abandoned it for something else

CD songs were written by members who were long gone - Josh, Paul, Bucket - so that doesn't make sense. Someone other than Axl writing the lyrics makes even less sense.

It almost definitely has nothing to do with The General, musically or lyrically, given what we know about the song.

He felt SOG was too hard to sing, but released and performed TWAT, If The World, etc?

I think SOG gives a lot of credibility to the theory that he was hanging on to a couple "big guns" for CD 2. :shrugs:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

One of these days a hoarder who still prowls these forums will leak their catalog in frustration over your strong beliefs.

So, I'll thank you in advance. :)

Haha, the only thing worth 'hoarding' is The General, an since there is nothing to trade for it, it'll stay locked down most likely.

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

Haha, the only thing worth 'hoarding' is The General, an since there is nothing to trade for it, it'll stay locked down most likely.

I'm not convinced anyone outside of the band and associated parties has The General. 

Soul Monster is out there.

Zodiac is out there.

Seven is out there.

All with vocals.

There are others too. Surely some or a combo of the above would be worth trading for The General, should it fall into the hands of a party willing to do so.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

CD songs were written by members who were long gone - Josh, Paul, Bucket - so that doesn't make sense. Someone other than Axl writing the lyrics makes even less sense.

It almost definitely has nothing to do with The General, musically or lyrically, given what we know about the song.

He felt SOG was too hard to sing, but released and performed TWAT, If The World, etc?

I think SOG gives a lot of credibility to the theory that he was hanging on to a couple "big guns" for CD 2. :shrugs:

Maybe.

We know people were asked to submit songs/ideas.  

Tommy submitted Going Down.  Maybe Robin or someone submitted SOG early, Axl liked it and recorded a version - then work started on his own songs and it got left.

Maybe he did hold it back for an intended CD2.  Given how appalling Silkworms, Atlas and OMG are, and how average Perhaps and HardSkool are, maybe he started worrying and decided to 'hold back' SOG instead of finishing it for Chinese.

Just now, Sweersa said:

I'm not convinced anyone outside of the band and associated parties has The General. 

Soul Monster is out there.

Zodiac is out there.

Seven is out there.

All with vocals.

There are others too. Surely some or a combo of the above would be worth trading for The General, should it fall into the hands of a party willing to do so.

In your dreams are they out there!

I know you think Tom Zutaut has songs and will play them if you go on a test drive and buy a car of his, it's just not happening.

36 minutes ago, Pele said:

Tommy submitted Going Down.  Maybe Robin or someone submitted SOG early, Axl liked it and recorded a version - then work started on his own songs and it got left.

His own songs were some of the first ones he finished though, Prostitute, Madagascar, etc. He had an album of completed songs before Tommy even submitted Going Down... and then he added backing vocals to Tommy Demo #1 instead. :lol:

I don't know, it seems the most likely answer is that it wasn't intended to be on the first album - which might explain why it was never mentioned, despite being pretty much complete. I assume it was one of the "32 songs" he was working on in the mid-2000s.