What songs has vocals after 1999

Just now, oneway23 said:

My skepticism lies in the idea that Axl has recorded fresh vocal takes for any Guns N' Roses material at any point beyond 2007, or thereabouts.

I see no reason to disregard that possibility. If he didn't, then all vocals needed for the follow-up to CD must already have been in the can, which proves he recorded vocals to additional songs post-1999.

4 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

To clarify my own position, I've never claimed that there are no songs with vocals of which I'm unaware.

My skepticism lies in the idea that Axl has recorded fresh vocal takes for any Guns N' Roses material at any point beyond 2007, or thereabouts.

I'm hopeful that the future will prove me wrong.  In fact, I really wish it would!

Unfortunately, as of now, aside from a one-off Looney Tunes performance (which could have been a favor to a friend, for all I know), the publicly available evidence provided thus far indicates that Axl Rose has not completed a fresh vocal take in ages.

I share the same position

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I see no reason to disregard that possibility. If he didn't, then all vocals needed for the follow-up to CD must already have been in the can, which proves he recorded vocals to additional songs post-1999.

As mentioned earlier, we know he recorded in 05/06.

It's possible (but unlikely) he wrote lyrics and recorded vocals for the songs for the follow up album.

I think he did The General.

I think he picked a few other songs he intended to finish but it never happened, and that's how they ended up on the list.

6 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

the publicly available evidence provided thus far indicates that Axl Rose has not completed a fresh vocal take in ages.

That's actually quite hilarious. Your argument is that nothing we haven't heard has been recorded because we haven't heard it. Mind-blowing.

Just now, Pele said:

It's possible (but unlikely)

What is unlikely is that every vocal recording Axl has done since 1999 would somehow be known to us. That is what is unlikely. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I know Pele seems to catch a lot of heat on here, and I don't know the guy from Adam, so...far be it from me to defend him, but, maybe the people pinning 1999 on him are either taking the mickey, at this point, or else, they're being overly pedantic because they don't care for either his outlook, or his persistence.

I don't hang here regularly anymore, but, from where I'm sitting, I think Pele has made it pretty clear that when he says, "no vocals since 1999", he's being a little sarcastic and needling people about Axl's lack of output.

I think it's pretty obvious that we all acknowledge there was work done in 06/07.  The debate here, in my eyes, is whether or not there's been anything since.

Edited by oneway23

2 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think he picked a few other songs he intended to finish but it never happened, and that's how they ended up on the list.

Why do you think he wanted to record more vocal tracks but never got round to it? Ah, yes, because he is lazy. Why are you convinced he is lazy? Partly because he hasn't recorded more vocal tracks. Brilliant circular logic. 

12 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Fortus said he was recording vox in late 2014.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-on-new-guns-n-roses-album-axl-rose-wants-to-create-stuff-and-release-it-when-its-ready/

Edited by denin

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's actually quite hilarious. Your argument is that nothing we haven't heard has been recorded because we haven't heard it. Mind-blowing.

What is unlikely is that every vocal recording Axl has done since 1999 would somehow be known to us. That is what is unlikely. 

No what's utterly mind-blowing is people thinking he's got a catalog of unreleased material, which he refuses to release or sing.

Yet when he does eventually issue a release - guess what?  It's decades old vocal takes.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think he wanted to record more vocal tracks but never got round to it? Ah, yes, because he is lazy. Why are you convinced he is lazy? Partly because he hasn't recorded more vocal tracks. Brilliant circular logic. 

Because he's creatively spent mainly, and isn't writing songs anymore.

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

I know Pele seems to catch a lot of heat on here, and I don't know the guy from Adam, so...far be it from me to defend him, but, maybe the people pinning 1999 on him are either taking the mickey, at this point, or else, they're being overly pedantic because they don't care for either his outlook, or his persistence.

I don't hang here regularly anymore, but, from where I'm sitting, I think Pele has made it pretty clear that when he says, "no vocals since 1999", he's being a little sarcastic and needling people about Axl's lack of output.

I think it's pretty obvious that we all acknowledge there was work done in 06/07.  The debate here, in my eyes, is whether or not there's been anything since.

I am only debating Pele on his inane argument that Axl hasn't recorded vocal tracks to anything we haven't heard about. His steadfast refusal to accept the possibility that Axl could have recorded vocal tracks to other songs while adding vocal tracks to The General, or Soul Monster (btw, Pele has also repeatedly claimed Axl was lying about adding vocals to Soul Monster:lol:), or Scraped. That we for unknown but miraculous reasons has got to hear about every single vocal track he has done since 1999 to the point where we now have comprehensive knowledge on exactly what songs have cocals and that there is no possibility he actually recoded a few more vocal tracks while at it over the years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I know Pele seems to catch a lot of heat on here, and I don't know the guy from Adam, so...far be it from me to defend him, but, maybe the people pinning 1999 on him are either taking the mickey, at this point, or else, they're being overly pedantic because they don't care for either his outlook, nor his persistence.

Correct, and to anyone with a brain, it's clear he 'retired' from the artistic process a long, long time ago.

But Soulmonster is still waiting for a full album of new Axl lyrics and vocals.

Soulmonster - when will you give up?  2 years?  5 years?  What?

1 minute ago, Pele said:

No what's utterly mind-blowing is people thinking he's got a catalog of unreleased material, which he refuses to release or sing.

Heh, we KNOW he has had Atlas, The General, Soul Monster, Perhaps, Going Down,++  (and until recently Hard Skool) which he for unknown reasons have refused to release or sing for the last, what, 15 years? So it should come as zero surprise to any of us (except you of course) if he has additonal songs.

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know why you're being so pedantic with me here.  We're merely having a conversation, and you're mis-characterizing my point.  That is not, in any way, my argument.

Re-read my posts, please.

Let me be more clear: I so absolutely, positively, believe there are songs which have been recorded that I am unaware of.

What I AM entirely skeptical of, is that Axl Rose has recorded any vocal takes for any Guns N' Roses song, beyond 2007, beyond the Looney Tunes track.

When I say "publicly available evidence", I thought that was pretty clear that I'm referring to the fact that both "new" songs released so far, unfortunately prove my point, since they are ancient vocal takes, not new ones.

I've clearly said I'd love to be proven wrong here.

Edited by oneway23

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yet when he does eventually issue a release - guess what?  It's decades old vocal takes.

Yes. And that is likely to be the case when (if) he releases Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, The General, Soul Monster, etc, too. And I understand him, use the best vocal takes he's got. I am happy for that decision.

3 minutes ago, Pele said:

But Soulmonster is still waiting for a full album of new Axl lyrics and vocals.

Soulmonster - when will you give up?  2 years?  5 years?  What?

I have never said I am waiting for a full album of new Axl lyrics and vocals. This is the second time you make this erroneous claim about me.

And this is the third time you have asked me about "when I will give up". When will you stop putting words into my mouth?

8 minutes ago, denin said:

I'm sorry, Denin, but, there were so many interviews with Fortus over the years, dropping these rote responses, that it's a boy who cried wolf scenario with me.

I believe the rest of the band wrote oodles of material, just as they had from 99-02, just as Slash & Duff are surely doing now.

I believe the band busts their asses coming up with material.  Axcl, however, an entirely different story.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

What I AM entirely skeptical of, is that Axl Rose has recorded any vocal takes for any Guns N' Roses song, beyond 2007, beyond the Looney Tunes track.

I am not talking about post-2007. I am talking about post-1999 (see thread title).

As for your reasoning behind believing Axl hasn't adding vocals after 2007 being based on the fact that Absurd and Hard Skool contains old vocals...that's a pretty weak argument and could easily be explained by him simply preferring those takes and not bothering to redo something that is already how he wants it to be. We know for a fact Axl doesn't mind using old vocal tracks, he did that when he released Chinese Democracy, too. Answer me this, out of the songs on CD which contained vocals already in 1999, how many did he decide to redo for the release of CD in 2008? Zero?

Edited by SoulMonster

A quick recap:

- We know Axl has no problems releasing music with old vocals. So Absurd and Hard Skool are not weird exceptions and a red flag re: whether he has recorded new vocals tracks in recent years. 

- We know Axl has no problems sitting on finished music that he for unknown reasons won't release or play live for many years. So it shouldn't come as a surprise to us if there are finished songs we haven't heard of. It is not like Axl is super communicative about what songs exist, either.

- We know Axl has recorded new vocals on multiple occasions after 1999. Some ended up on CD, some we have only been told about, some have leaked. 

Is it then possible, or even likely, that there are additional vocal tracks that are unknown to us? Could it be that on one or more of the times he has hit the studio since 1999, that he added vocals to additional songs that didn't end up on CD, that didn't leak at some point , or that he hasn't told us about? For what can best be described as flawed reasoning @Pele disregards this possibility to the point where he seems entirely content flooding this forum with his insistence that nothing else exists. I, on the other hand, find it to be a really weird coincidence if everything he has done was either leaked or mentioned to us, that all anecdotal evidence was false, and that all rumours regarding the existence of a finished CD2 was incorrect. I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying logical thinking makes it highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not talking about post-2007. I am talking about post-1999 (see thread title).

As for your reasoning behind believing Axl hasn't adding vocals after 2007 being based on the fact that Absurd and Hard Skool contains old vocals...that's a pretty weak argument and could easily be explained by him simply preferring those takes and not bothering to redo something that is already how he wants it to be. We know for a fact Axl doesn't mind using old vocal tracks, he did that when he released Chinese Democracy, too. Answer me this, out of the songs on CD which contained vocals already in 1999, how many did he decide to redo for the release of CD in 2008? Zero?

Boy, you are a pedantic one, aren't you?  Someone please change the thread title so we can feel better about this.  I think it's pretty clear that we all understand that Axl performed vocals on a song after 1999.

You're also propping up a bit of a straw man here with me, since I have never indicated, in ANY way, that I took issue with Axl actually using old takes.  In fact, I'm on record here in the last few days (no idea where, hard to keep track of the threads) saying that I have zero problem with a new Guns album consisting entirely of "frankensteined" tracks with old takes, if that's what it takes to get a full-length out.  I've even argued in favor of it!  I'd rather hear him at the end of him prime back then, than now, in fact.

14 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I'm sorry, Denin, but, there were so many interviews with Fortus over the years, dropping these rote responses, that it's a boy who cried wolf scenario with me.

I believe the rest of the band wrote oodles of material, just as they had from 99-02, just as Slash & Duff are surely doing now.

I believe the band busts their asses coming up with material.  Axcl, however, an entirely different story.

Fortus has indeed said a lot of things through the years regarding the band working on new music, exchanging ideas, etc.. However, I think this was the only time where he said something about Axl recording vocals.

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

Someone please change the thread title so we can feel better about this.  I think it's pretty clear that we all understand that Axl performed vocals on a song after 1999.

why because pele says there isn't much done after 1999 i'd say there was from 2003-2006 but that's just my guess

44 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

To clarify my own position, I've never claimed that there are no songs with vocals of which I'm unaware.

I'm hopeful that the future will prove me wrong.  In fact, I really wish it would!

Unfortunately, as of now, aside from a one-off Looney Tunes performance (which could have been a favor to a friend, for all I know), the publicly available evidence provided thus far indicates that Axl Rose has not completed a fresh vocal take in ages.

Why? Just because we haven’t heard anything doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

IMO….I’d be pretty shocked that a guy/vocalist who has a state of the art studio actually in his house hasn’t laid down vocals in 15 years. That just seems extremely unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Fortus has indeed said a lot of things through the years regarding the band working on new music, exchanging ideas, etc.. However, I think this was the only time where he said something about Axl recording vocals.

This is fair.  I believe you are absolutely right..

To be fair, it's been eons since I used to follow and catalogue all of these interviews with baited breath, but, I was trying to quickly wrack my whiskey-soaked brain to come up with another example where it was specifically mentioned that Axl had been recording vocals, but, I couldn't think of any.

Knowing how Axl has operated throughout the years, he likely had plans to record vocals the Saturday following that interview, Richard gave the interview on the Wednesday, relaying the current info he had, only for Axl to eat a bad burrito the night before and cancel the session. :lol:

Please don't attack me.  I have no idea where Axl actually was on the Saturday following said interview.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Heh, we KNOW he has had Atlas, The General, Soul Monster, Perhaps, Going Down,++  (and until recently Hard Skool) which he for unknown reasons have refused to release or sing for the last, what, 15 years? So it should come as zero surprise to any of us (except you of course) if he has additonal songs.

Yeah we know he has Atlas.  Here's a clue - when he has to release another 'new' track, it's gonna be Atlas or Perhaps.

It's not going to be any of the following:

Quick Song
Eye on You
Nothing
Soul Monster
Cuban Skies
Prom Violence
Thyme
PRL
Mustache
Zodiac
Real Doll