What songs has vocals after 1999

Yes, let's continue our favorite thread.

I just came over these two quotes from Tommy in 2011. Basically, he was asked about the state of the unreleased music. In both quotes he is talking about the wealth of unreleased material (2-3 records of music, "a lot of it's really good") and also that when he was finished recording (2001?) a lot of the material still missed vocals. In the second quote he says he is "inclined to think that [Axl] probably has been [working on finishing the songs". He doesn't sound very convincing to me, but it is also clear that he doesn't know what Axl's been doing and that there is a possibility and likelihood that Axl has been working on stuff without his knowledge.

Tommy: We certainly did record a lot of stuff. We recorded three records worth of material over the course of that 10-year period, but I think that a lot of the unfinished bits were mostly lyrics and mixes and things like that [Rolling Stone, September 9, 2011].

Tommy: There is a bunch of stuff that was left over from the last record that didn’t make it because it wasn’t finished. But I’m not sure if Axl has been working on that stuff or not. I would be inclined to think that he probably has been. There’s definitely, I mean when we made the record, there was definitely two full records worth of material there at least. A lot of it’s really good, so maybe he’ll get around to finishing up some bits and singing and stuff like that. That’s kind of where it’s been left at [Performer, September 30, 2011].

Just adding these for context to the discussion even if they doesn't give us clear answers, and fully knowing the quotes can be used as evidence for either position.

• Like 1

I think the only people with full knowledge of the stage of completion of the unreleased songs are Axl, Caram and probably Beta.

The band members didn't know what happened with the material after they finished their work on it. For example, Josh Freese, whose contract expired in March 2000 (but probably had finished his parts much earlier), said recently on Appetite for Distortion that there were no vocals at the time he left, although we know for a fact that there were vocals recorded before that time.

Even long-serving members like Tommy most likely didn't know what Axl did (or didn't do) with the songs afterwards, unless Axl told them without them asking (and I would guess that they didn't ask).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I wish Chris Pitman was more open to talk, or share. ;)

Chris is securely under lock and key🤫 paid silence, think of the terror that would take the world if someone discussed the making of Chinese Democracy and the remaining songs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Chris is securely under lock and key🤫 paid silence, think of the terror that would take the world if someone discussed the making of Chinese Democracy and the remaining songs

I believe that. Would be a shame for the band if he donated an old iPod to Goodwill before wiping it. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pele said:

Yeah - would be a shame if he forgot to wipe all of those old instrumentals we've already heard

My guess is his iPod contains 60 instrumentals that were not included in any form on the 2008 album, and over 45 isolated Axl vocal tracks on songs intended for CD2 and CD3.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

My guess is his iPod contains 60 instrumentals that were not included in any form on the 2008 album, and over 45 isolated Axl vocal tracks on songs intended for CD2 and CD3.

My guess is there are nowhere near 45 vocal tracks intended for CD2 and CD£.

My guess is you'll never ever hear one of these vocal tracks intended for CD2 and CD3 that is not called Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged or Oh My God

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Your guess would be wrong, even in 2001. :D

That is not a guess, it's a promise. ;) 

What are you claiming to have heard now?

You claimed you'd heard Zodiac with vocals a few weeks back, only to backtrack and admit you hadn't.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Pele said:

You claimed you'd heard Zodiac with vocals a few weeks back, only to backtrack and admit you hadn't.

I don't recall the latter part of your accusation. 

17 hours ago, Rovim said:

you are winking. Why are you winking. Do you know something concrete? does CD ll and lll exist? will Axl be prolific?

CD2 exists (who knows what will become of it, it will probably get the Absurd and Hard Skool treatment, sadly)

There's additional material beyond CD2 as well.

12 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I don't recall the latter part of your accusation. 

CD2 exists (who knows what will become of it, it will probably get the Absurd and Hard Skool treatment, sadly)

There's additional material beyond CD2 as well.

Well you were deliberately vague - however you certainly implied you've heard Zodiac with vocals and said it's very angry.

Then you said "I never said I have heard or have it, but it's out there for sure, as is a lot of material."

Are you claiming to have heard it or not?

Edited by Pele

21 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

In a year's time, when we get two more songs, the same lot of you will be on here, rationalizing that Axl was definitely going to put out a new album next year, before Pele's words hurt his feelings and caused an imbalance to the band's aura.

Agree!  And they'll all see the release of Atlas Shrugged (with 99 vocal) as a surefire sign of a brand new album.

6 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I think there's more vocals but I do think that they are legitimately going to feed us two songs a year until they run out. Exactly the kind of thing to expect from this band at this point.

Wish they did that since the release of CD in 2008. Then we would of had CD2 and CD3 by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Wish they did that since the release of CD in 2008. Then we would of had CD2 and CD3 by now.

There might have been contractual issues prohibiting it but releasing EPs or even singles from Chinese with B-Sides would have been a good way to get this music released. You would've also had Axl more capable of singing this stuff ten years removed from it vs 20 years.

• Like 1