Hard Skool Live !

36 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

My god, my ears are bleeding - not from Axl but from that screaming lady, lol. 

You're right, Axl does sound better in that video, but still rough. Hopefully he improves the more they play it.

Yea the lady is bad. But I think this video shows you can’t always base vocals off one cell phone video 

By the 2nd verse he was kinda getting his footing, but it's evident he hadn't really prepared how he was going to approach it. There's a difference between listening and humming along and being on stage or in rehearsal having to belt it out. 

I actually thought he'd nail the verse and completely screw up the chorus but if anything he was stronger on the chorus... go figure. I think the next performance of this will be much better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GS67 said:

Yea the lady is bad. But I think this video shows you can’t always base vocals off one cell phone video 

Yeah but you can easily hear Axl struggling with pitch and tone throughout too, so let's not get bogged down in the conspiracy theory of phone camera technology being built to sabotage Axl Roses singing credibility. He sounded rough, he will sound better on this song in time but we all know he likes to rehearse with a large audience

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

By the 2nd verse he was kinda getting his footing, but it's evident he hadn't really prepared how he was going to approach it. There's a difference between listening and humming along and being on stage or in rehearsal having to belt it out. 

I actually thought he'd nail the verse and completely screw up the chorus but if anything he was stronger on the chorus... go figure. I think the next performance of this will be much better.

I agree on all of that. I always find it imteresting how the cell phones don't seem to affect other singers, or how selective the cell phones must be because sometimes Axl sounds totally fine. It's an argument that exists nowhere but on a Guns N' Roses forum.

Or when people say "you can't judge a phone clip" but then say Axl sounds great which is, in fact, a judgment on the clip. The hypocrisy astounds me when people get so upset that not everybody digs how Axl sounds.

It's not even necessarily negativity for the sake of negativity either - just people voicing their two cents which is to be expected.

42 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah but you can easily hear Axl struggling with pitch and tone throughout too, so let's not get bogged down in the conspiracy theory of phone camera technology being built to sabotage Axl Roses singing credibility. He sounded rough, he will sound better on this song in time but we all know he likes to rehearse with a large audience

This was the post I intended to quote above but my comments remain the same!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I’m not saying it was perfect  at all. The very first video that appeared was super bad.I walked away a little better after seeing others 

Edited by GS67

It sounded good enough, especially for a first time. No point in nitpicking. It's a tough song to sing, like many GnR songs.

Plus, it's rock music... it's like what Slash said about the Live Era record... ''(the record) is not pretty and there are a lot of mistakes, but this is Guns N' Roses, not the fucking Mahavishnu Orchestra''.

Edited by EvanG

Just now, EvanG said:

It sounded good enough, especially for a first time. No point in nitpicking. It's a tough song to sing, like many GnR songs.

Plus, it's rock music... it's like what Slash said about the Live Era record... ''(the record) is not pretty and there are a lot of mistakes, but this is Guns N' Roses, not the fucking Mahavishnu Orchestra. It's as honest as it gets''.

I don't know if "honest" is the best term for an album where 90% of the vocals were re-recorded. 

Just now, James Bond said:

I don't know if "honest" is the best term for an album where 90% of the vocals were re-recorded. 

Haha... I deleted that part right after you quoted me because I knew someone would make this comment, and this is totally beside the point I was trying to make.

I thought the band was tight. Made me think even more Frank was the drummer on the recorded track. I didn't like the back vocals by Melissa and Duff. I thought they were way too high in the mix. Axl wasn't as bad as I expected. Its a tough transition from the verses to the chorus. I thought the rasp in the outro was a nice touch as well. Cool to see Richard nail the ending solo with the tapping or whatever he does that bucket kinda created in the demo.

11 hours ago, Packersfan#4#12 said:

But the thing is we know he can still bring it just look at the AC/DC shows.

And in that Bugs Bunny cartoon, crazy as that sentence was to just type.

Maybe he can still bring it in small doses or in the studio but he's sounded how he sounds live long enough now that it's just what I expect. 

The thing with AC/DC is that was already five years ago, and to my ears the bigger issues started after that stint. I genuinely think he did some permanent damage that year. His 2014 voice was probably sustainable (I feel like he made conscious decisions to save the rasp for the big guns during most of those shows), but come 2016 he was pushing out those 2010 esque vocals on AC/DC in addition to Guns reunion pressure and it probably wasn't for the best for longevity. I'd love to be wrong, but some of what he's pushing out now sounds really unhealthy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

The thing with AC/DC is that was already five years ago, and to my ears the bigger issues started after that stint. I genuinely think he did some permanent damage that year. His 2014 voice was probably sustainable (I feel like he made conscious decisions to save the rasp for the big guns during most of those shows), but come 2016 he was pushing out those 2010 esque vocals on AC/DC in addition to Guns reunion pressure and it probably wasn't for the best for longevity. I'd love to be wrong, but some of what he's pushing out now sounds really unhealthy.

Ac/Dc is not the same as GN'R songs. Yes he sounded great on them, but that doesn't mean he can do it on Guns song. Not once has he delivered good vocals on some of the raspier classics. I doubt it is because he is saving his voice, I think he just can't do it anymore. And that includes everything done since 1993. Not a single great YCBM performance in all those years. Ac/Dc for some reason was much easier for him.

5 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

Ac/Dc is not the same as GN'R songs. Yes he sounded great on them, but that doesn't mean he can do it on Guns song. Not once has he delivered good vocals on some of the raspier classics. I doubt it is because he is saving his voice, I think he just can't do it anymore. And that includes everything done since 1993. Not a single great YCBM performance in all those years. Ac/Dc for some reason was much easier for him.

2010 YCBM was very strong

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

If he can sing Hells Bells in the original key there's no reason the outro in Nightrain should be an issue. My point was that I don't think he can do either anymore. I don't disagree with you.

Just now, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

2010 YCBM was very strong

For the modern era. Even 10 years prior to that he had to rely on early 90s recordings when doing Live Era. The Axl you hear in 92 (and that is still a reduced Axl Rose) has not been heard in this millennium. It's a different kind of rasp, much thinner sounding. It can sound very good like the Sailing cover from 2006, but we forget how good Axl once was.

• Like 1