Hard Skool Live !

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

I just saw it on yt and to be honest, it was pretty much what I imagined it would sound like. Thought it was ok, not great, not too bad. That's just how he sounds now on stage.

Yeah I thought the same. Exactly what I'd expect.

Not terrible, but if you showed it to someone who wanted to mock the band they sure would use it as ammunition. 

Glad it finally got played.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Sorry I rarely bite on nonsense - but that is 100% not the whole point of releasing new music. the beatles didnt play an official live show between 66 and 70. Revolver, the white album, sgt peppers, abbey road etc. are they totally pointless because they were not played live?? Axls live performance in some arena in september 2021 is not what GnR or axl will be remembered for. In 50 years people will listen to the albums. And those have to show the band and Axl at their best. I don't know if you have ever recorded before, but slash probably doubles/triples his solos, plays fills, adds overdubs and studio effects that just cannot be replicated live. does that mean he should not play the song to because he cannot reproduce the studio performance? Of course not. Axl is not the singer he was in 99/2000 2006 or 2010. Why on earth would the band want to release subpar vocals and average recordings just so we can get the exact version live? it's preposterous. If you want to hear the studio version... listen to the studio version! Live is about energy, being in the moment. Not hearing an exact replica of a studio performance. I think axl sucks 90% of the time live. But at the shows, he sounds ok. Youtube performances are not GnRs legacy. Studio releases will be. 

This seems to be based on the supposition that anything not sang in this range would automatically be subpar and inferior to Hard Skool.

Sorry, it still doesn’t seem ridiculous to me to release music that you can actually sing live when all the money today comes from touring.

First impression live: I like it - potentially - better than the studio version, but it needs to be played more.

Might help if Axl had rehearsed it a bit more with the band, perhaps just singing in a lower register.

Tempo is a little too fast imo, rhythm section really needs to get their shit together.

Other than that, not too shabby for the first time ever in concert.

Keep it in the setlist, it's better live than studio.

• Like 1

It's an absolute disaster, as I knew it would be. One of Axl's worst performances ever, if not the worst. It sounds like this parody channel, like I wasn't sure if the youtube video I was watching was the real thing or a fake.

Kudos to Axl for trying, we'll see if he dares trying this and singing like this every night, if he'll improve, or if he'll stop trying.

7 hours ago, murph said:

The band sounded great.. I'd like to assume Axl will work out the kinks vocally.. Might be an eye opener to practice with the band a bit more on such songs.. Maybe earlier in the setlist would help.. (not sure what song played prior to HS but) maybe a few easier vocals prior might help initially as well. 

Sadly no amount of practice can turn back time. Axl's getting old. There's going to be good days and bad days no matter what he does. At least he's found a more effortless way of singing without blowing out his voice.

I actually like the effort he put in.  I haven't watch all the new live shows. I've watched select songs from select gigs over this last leg.  This here my perception was he really out what he had in.  

Now hopefully he realizes that he needs to spend time on training vocally and physically to get the best out of himself.  But it's his life so I guess wtv happens happens lol

I'm sure it's fun when you're there live. The wall of noise from all the music and the energy of being at a live show paper over weak performances and you can still have a fun time.

Glad to see them try it and to my ears he sounded passable by current standards on the first verse and chorus and then it got really tough for him - which makes sense, the way the vocals are done on the studio version it sounds like it would be tough for Axl to sing live at any point in his life.

• Like 1

It’s a hard song to pull off live,so I think Duff,Melissa and Dizzy should all sing the chorus along with Axl.Same as Paradise City.These choruses need all the band to contribute vocally,at least in some parts of the choruses.Great effort though 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

He needs to sing like an octave higher. It sounds like he’s singing a song he doesn’t know the lyrics to, and is just making out the sounds with no power. Using more power would give the reverb from his voice to make it sound good. 

glad it got played  though 

what?

he should sing an octave lower on the verses, like he does on nightrain and Chinese democracy, then on the chorus go full mickey, since he doesn't seem to be comfortable whit using distortion on his high notes anymore, or maybe try to go for the chinese democracy chorus voice, but that part is maybe to high for that. But then again axl must know better than me.

As for the reverb from his voice, i have no idea what do you mean.

Edited by batatadoce

Well now I see why they held off on playing this live for so long. I know the rehearsal footage we’ve seen over the last few months has been without Axl but I’m guessing he’s been trying to get this down for some time. He’s probably still not happy with his performance but knows now they’ve released it he kind of HAS to do it live.

28 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Axl sounded better on the chorus than on the verses. I think it sounded better than any of us expected. I am sure that, as always, every next performance will sound better.

Especially with the breath needed for the chorus I was impressed.  Even had rasp on the very last note.  He needs to work on the verses a bit.  

The band sounded great.

I thought the verses would be easy for him and not the chorus. It was the other way around. It wasn't that Bad .... I mean, Axl 2021 standars. The guy doesn't rehearse with the band and doesn't rehearse at all. You can't not rehearse if You are a musician ..... He proved the whole world with the ACDC run that with rehearsal he can do better..  

1 hour ago, GS67 said:

This video at the stage sounds worlds better than the few clips I’ve seen

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1776500235915125/permalink/3168443820054086/

My god, my ears are bleeding - not from Axl but from that screaming lady, lol. 

You're right, Axl does sound better in that video, but still rough. Hopefully he improves the more they play it.