Hard Skool Live !

Just now, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

2010 YCBM was very strong

For the modern era. Even 10 years prior to that he had to rely on early 90s recordings when doing Live Era. The Axl you hear in 92 (and that is still a reduced Axl Rose) has not been heard in this millennium. It's a different kind of rasp, much thinner sounding. It can sound very good like the Sailing cover from 2006, but we forget how good Axl once was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

If he can sing Hells Bells in the original key there's no reason the outro in Nightrain should be an issue. My point was that I don't think he can do either anymore. I don't disagree with you.

There are some songs he can/could do. Nightrain being one of them. Some great versions of that, especially around 2010.

On the other hand he has not delivered a good NR or SCOM since the 90s. Especially November Rain should be fairly easy to sing considering his register, but it seems he's simply lost that ability for good.

That being said his falsetto and general singing skills have much improved. The Jungle screams from 01/02 and the cleaner CD songs is something I don't think he could do in his pomp. He just lost that prime ability very early. I'd go so far as to say 88 was the last time he had that godly rasp.

My point is I don't think doing AC/DC is an indication of much. It does not reflect perfectly on his GN'R voice.

9 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

For the modern era. Even 10 years prior to that he had to rely on early 90s recordings when doing Live Era. The Axl you hear in 92 (and that is still a reduced Axl Rose) has not been heard in this millennium. It's a different kind of rasp, much thinner sounding. It can sound very good like the Sailing cover from 2006, but we forget how good Axl once was.

In 2010 Axl had a stronger voice and more rasp than he had in 99. In the late 90's/early 2000's he was just starting to sing again and was going for a clean sound. If Axl re-recorded YCBM in 2010 it would sound awesome. Listen to his performance in Dublin 2010 (where he was just standing there and not running around), he sounds as good as he did in the 90's. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

2010 is comparative to 1992/1993 Axl. In terms of control 2006/2007 is leaps and bounds ahead of any other era, 06/07 wasn't perfect but on balance it was pretty bloody strong. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think what's so strange to me is that Axl sounded WAY better on the verse in the Mexico 2020 soundcheck. It was shaky but he had some control over his mid range.

He probably hasn't even tried to sing it since then 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAGuns87 said:

On the other hand he has not delivered a good NR or SCOM since the 90s. Especially November Rain should be fairly easy to sing considering his register, but it seems he's simply lost that ability for good.

Well, in 2006-07 NR was great. He sang the verses with his low voice + a little clean in specific phrases, and in the end he sang with his voice rasped in a wild way. The versions from that year seem better than ’91 to me. With SCOM I agree, but I think he hasn’t sung it well since Ritz 1987.

10 minutes ago, JanPetter88 said:

I allways defend Axl. And I have no expecations.....

..... but this performance was one of the worst ever. Almost Vince Neil-level.

It was everything I expected it to be.

Sounded like Mickey Mouse, half way through running a marathon, singing a song he has only practiced once.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GS67 said:

I’m not saying it was perfect  at all. The very first video that appeared was super bad.I walked away a little better after seeing others 

Not as bad as you might’ve thought, but still not what you would call good: The Axl Rose Concert Vocal Story.
Coming to a stage near you. (Wait to buy tickets until the day of show to save considerably) 

I'm jealous these fans got "Absurd" and "Hard Skool" back-to-back. Can't believe GNR did it. What a set list overall. Too bad the tour is coming to an end. I truly feel this time it would have been different and more releases were imminent. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, batatadoce said:

what?

he should sing an octave lower on the verses, like he does on nightrain and Chinese democracy, then on the chorus go full mickey, since he doesn't seem to be comfortable whit using distortion on his high notes anymore, or maybe try to go for the chinese democracy chorus voice, but that part is maybe to high for that. But then again axl must know better than me.

As for the reverb from his voice, i have no idea what do you mean.

Reverb would be like using auto tune, Axl use to have a voice that would have such a powerful fullness in it that it sounds like he’s singing in a chamber. I wouldn’t be opposed to him using reverb on his voice during the shows on the lines outside of the chorus. It would sound much better IMO. Currently he sounds a little weak and so the lines don’t hit as hard as they should. The chorus I would think he needs to go into his Back in Black Brian Johnson voice for that. Its too high for how it was recorded but  I think Axl struggles more when he’s trying to hit a “mid voice” seems his low voice is obviously intact and I believe if he wanted it to be he could hit some full power notes still. 

but I like the songs you selected to grab vocals from. I agree I think he’ll get better on this song. They have such a long tour planned that I think we could see a big reversal in his vocals later in the tour. You can’t afford to blow out your lead singers voice this early into a 2 year tour. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

In 2010 Axl had a stronger voice and more rasp than he had in 99. In the late 90's/early 2000's he was just starting to sing again and was going for a clean sound. If Axl re-recorded YCBM in 2010 it would sound awesome. Listen to his performance in Dublin 2010 (where he was just standing there and not running around), he sounds as good as he did in the 90's. 

That one is pretty good. Had not heard it before. I can see why you say it is as good. Technically it is close to perfect and much better than he did in his prime, but it's still a different sound. Not as dynamic and smooth sounding as his youth. Yet he is stronger in some respects because he has much better control of his voice. If he could always sing like that back then I'd have no complaints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

but I like the songs you selected to grab vocals from. I agree I think he’ll get better on this song. They have such a long tour planned that I think we could see a big reversal in his vocals later in the tour. You can’t afford to blow out your lead singers voice this early into a 2 year tour. 

Don’t they have like 3 shows left this week and then a 8+ month break until the next show? 

The voice is a highly unpredictable thing in the way other instruments are not. Axl quit smoking and is not an addict to anything else as far as we know. I agree that he has times when he sounds very thin, but I think for a first bash at this song it could've been worse. The choruses were decent but he was clearly finding his way during the verses. I think technically he still has an excellent voice but that will be highly variable in stadiums with his age, health, wear and tear, climate, rehearsals or not, voice coach or not, and various other issues. No singer sounds the same at 59 as how they sounded when they were 29. He clearly tried to address the two big issues the hardcore fans had with him being out of shape and the absence of new material. It doesn't mean the performance is where it would ideally be, but he's well aware of that going by his comments.

We're the hardcore fans, look at the comments under the videos. It wasn't a disaster to the general audience.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pele said:

It was everything I expected it to be.

Sounded like Mickey Mouse, half way through running a marathon, singing a song he has only practiced once.

Riiight, 'cause you know he only sang and practice it in 99. Baltimore was the fucking first time he sang it since then? Kudos to him for pulling what he did then. Right back in business troll.

2 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Riiight, 'cause you know he only sang and practice it in 99. Baltimore was the fucking first time he sang it since then? Kudos to him for pulling what he did then. Right back in business troll.

I'm referring to all the various times it's been played at soundchecks - and the one time he attended and rehearsed it.

Maybe's he's practiced it loads but I agree with the overwhelming majority on this thread.  He sounded garbage.

Edited by Pele

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. I think people are trying to compare it to the recording.

I think people are so used to how atrocious he sounds in general, that this hasn't come as much of a shock.

He was once the best singer in the world.

He isn't even the best singer in the band now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pele said:

Maybe's he's practiced it loads but I agree with the overwhelming majority on this thread.  He sounded garbage.

lol be 59 and sing that fucking song. Let's see if you can do it half good of what he can.

Y'all are too stuck up at the "oh he sounds terrible" "he sounded garbage" bullshit

But keep forgetting he is fucking close to 60 and still belting out AFD/UYI songs performing over 3hrs per show.

but okay let's focus on that he sounds garbage, like the troll that you are.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. I think people are trying to compare it to the recording.

Well to be fair, that’s what most people do. The common praise of many singers and/or bands is that they sound “just like the record” live. Meaning they’re actually good and not just made by studio trickery.